EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › question-is this offensive??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

question-is this offensive??

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Merry Christmas and happy Hanuka

if yes

to bad"not first choice of words"

if no

Have a happy,safe,and praying for a snowy new year.

: : :
Pat
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidbump View Post
.......happy Hanuka....
Whats that?

If you meant Hanukkah, it is over.

But so is Festivus.
post #3 of 27
Happy Festivus (day late).

No it's not offensive at all. This is a season of giving and caring and family and skiing and all that other good stuff. It's not a time to get mad at people because they celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah or Festivus and you don't. When political correctness starts ruining the holiday cheer it's gone too far.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
oops me bad...did a quick spell check and just hit enter
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Fiddle View Post
Happy Festivus (day late).

No it's not offensive at all. This is a season of giving and caring and family and skiing and all that other good stuff. It's not a time to get mad at people because they celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah or Festivus and you don't. When political correctness starts ruining the holiday cheer it's gone too far.
Well put
post #6 of 27
Political correctness hasn't spoiled the holiday cheer, commercialization and consumerism has ruined the holiday cheer.

It's no longer about spending time with your loved ones, it's about buying as much crap (which won't be appreciated or used) as your credit limit will allow.

Happy Holidays.
post #7 of 27
NO, it's not offensive to me, but I can't spell either, and if a Muslim wished me happiness at the end of Ramadan I would not be offended either.
post #8 of 27

From across the Atlantic

Please accept, with no obligation (expressed or implicit), my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practised with the most enjoyable traditions of your religious persuasion or the secular practices of your choice with respect for your religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practise religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally-accepted calendar year 2007, but not without the respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that Great Britain is necessarily greater then any other country) and without regard to your race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference.

By accepting this greeting, the wishee is accepting the following terms.

1.. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal at any time by the wisher. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for the wishee or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.
2.. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. The wishee can accept no responsibility nor accept any liability for the wish's non-performance.
3.. This warranty is limited to the replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Latchigo
post #9 of 27
Brilliant!
post #10 of 27
Christmas is very offensive to Pagans on Northern European decent. You Christians took our solstice holiday "Yuletid" and used it to celebrate the birth of your Saviour (who, if I'm not mistaken was born in late Sept.).

But then again - if you're not offending anyone,you're not living!

Hail Santa!

ps - if you want snow, I suggest you bow down to Ullr!
post #11 of 27
To *ell with being PC.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

People just need to lightin up.
post #12 of 27
You can wish me anything you want... as long as it comes with a present!
post #13 of 27
FYI: Political correctness does not apply to Religious Holidays.

Imagine being ashamed of your own religion. Imagine not being able to hold up your head and say "Merry Christmas" for fear that some intolerant hate filled individual should take offense that you are different than they.

In Canada we are "multi-cultural" -- we celebrate our diversity. We do not deny it or be ashamed by it. Those that think "political correctness" means you cannot say "Merry Christmas" are way off base. In fact, "political correctness" would say that regardless of your religious background the correct response to "Merry Christmas" is: "Merry Christmas to you too!"

The goal of political correctness is to ensure that no one is made superior to another by choice of language. Therefore, to not respond "Merry Christmas" is politically incorrect!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone!
post #14 of 27
BigE... did you read the story about the guy who trains and hires would-be Santas in your neck of the woods? Here's the story if you missed it.

Anyhow, it's been Christmas here in Australia for the past 8½ hours, so I wish all the bears a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the festive season. Remember, be safe not sorry.
post #15 of 27
Merry Christmas!
post #16 of 27
The endless days of early fall weather persist in this neck of the woods. We have a great deal to be appreciative of and cold weather and better skiing will make its return. But its just crazy here in Pa. regarding the current weathern pattern. I'm going to sound like an old man now, but I grew up in Pa. and in the 60's December 90% of the time was cold with snow on the ground.

Anyway Merry Christmas to All, and may we all enjoy this special holiday. When driving back from church this evening I saw a women in the yard with her dog on a lease and she was wearing shorts. When winter does return, it will make that much more special.
post #17 of 27
Happy Holidays everyone!!
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
In Canada we are "multi-cultural" -- we celebrate our diversity.
Unlike the US where we're all racist bigots.

It's amazing how two countries can exsist right next to each other yet be so completely different!
post #19 of 27

Great Warranty, Explicit or Implied !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo View Post
Please accept, with no obligation (expressed or implicit), my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practised with the most enjoyable traditions of your religious persuasion or the secular practices of your choice with respect for your religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practise religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally-accepted calendar year 2007, but not without the respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that Great Britain is necessarily greater then any other country) and without regard to your race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference.

By accepting this greeting, the wishee is accepting the following terms.

1.. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal at any time by the wisher. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for the wishee or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.
2.. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. The wishee can accept no responsibility nor accept any liability for the wish's non-performance.
3.. This warranty is limited to the replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Latchigo
Especially appreciated in the nation's capitol of high powered lawyers and higher priced lobbyist !!!

The Best of the Season to You and Yours.

CharlieP
post #20 of 27
May you all have a Merry and Blessed Christmas
post #21 of 27
Who stole the Americans' Christmas?
anyway, Merry Xmas to the people in oz, NZ, and probably europe now too. Merry Xmas to the Yanks tomorrow!
post #22 of 27
what about kwanza?

i seem to hear less and less about that holiday with each passing year.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidbump View Post
oops me bad...did a quick spell check and just hit enter
Don't worry- there is no correct spelling of Hannuka (or Chanukah, or Khanuka or Hannukah, or....) in English anyway. The correct spelling is ????

(sorry- the Hebrew characters will not show up)
post #24 of 27
Its not really offensive compared to using a cell phone on the ski hill.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Unlike the US where we're all racist bigots.

It's amazing how two countries can exsist right next to each other yet be so completely different!
Yes it is amazing and yes, there is a HUGE difference.

However, only a certain amount of the race problems in the US are caused by bigots.

The other problem, equal in size and probably worse in effect: wimpy white people who don't know any non-whites but seem terrified that the fragile non-whites will somehow be offended of something.

The other piece of the puzzle: people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton whose careers are at least partially dependent on racial conflicts.

As for the original post - weak troll.
post #26 of 27
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
post #27 of 27
I'm watching James Bond movies on Spike. It's not really Christmas, just some kind of pretend thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › question-is this offensive??