New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski vs Snowboards

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I have been debating with friends of mine regarding this issue. Skiing versus Snowboarding. They are starting to switch from skiing to snowboarding, and they are beg/int skiers at best... so maybe they just got frustrated.

And the main Reason was that Snowboarding boots are much more comfortable.


Skiing is easier to learn, but harder to master. Snowboarding is hard to learn but easier to master.

Has anyone skiied for a long time and then tried snowboarding and found it to be more enjoyable?

Snowboarding does look cooler, but skiing once you get to a high level looks more enjoyable to me.



Any thoughts?
post #2 of 28
I think its kind of a generation thing.. very few young kids ski these days and all of their friends are snowboarding so it might be just to fit in..

I just cant bring myself to strap both feet to one board.. Skiing defenitely takes time to master.. Ski equipment seeems to be a lot more rigid whereas there seem to be alot more variables to play with in snowboarding.. angle of your feet, biding position etc..

OT.. It seems that snowboarders they fall more number of times per run than I do in a season and I am not sure about the cooler part..
post #3 of 28
I don't think snowboarding looks any more fun than skiing. I'm only 18 and my younger brother whos 11 even skis. However, all of his friends snowboard and they are not near at a level that he is. My brother skis black runs with no problem while his friends who snowboard can barely make it down a blue run. They think the terrain park scene is so cool but they are not participating because they can barely stand up. Also when they fall a lot, it takes a lot of effort for them to get back up. It certainly looks annoying to have to get out of your bindings for the lifts.

I just don't see what is so special about snowboarding. On a huge powder day, it looks like fun, but skiing is super fun then to and you can go on any run.
post #4 of 28
As someone who does both, I prefer skiing, hands down.

You hit it right on the head. The learning curve for snowboarding is steeper. It's generally ugly at first, but you become reasonably proficient much faster, in my opinion. At one point, I was level I PSIA and AASI...from teaching both, it takes people a long time to look good on skis, it takes less time on a board. With that said, it takes a long time to be great at either.

Also, if you are good at one or the other, I think you can improve at that by learning the other. In other (less convoluted words), I learned a lot about my skiing when I picked up snowboarding. I learned things that I could apply to skiing.
post #5 of 28
Being somewhat of a novice skier on first day of skiing I was able to go down blue slopes. By third time ever on skies I was able to hit the diamonds.

I disagree with the statement posted above "it takes people a long time to look good on skis, it takes less time on a board" on skiis you can look good after a week of skiing on snowboard you won't even get passed the greens.

If you like a good challenge then snowboarding is the way to go. Being a skiier even helped with switching to snowboarding because you have a feel for the mountain.


My motto is: Try it, if you don't like it, at least you can say you tried.
post #6 of 28
[quote=Skiing2Snowboarding;621904]Being somewhat of a novice skier on first day of skiing I was able to go down blue slopes. By third time ever on skies I was able to hit the diamonds.

I disagree with the statement posted above "it takes people a long time to look good on skis, it takes less time on a board" on skiis you can look good after a week of skiing on snowboard you won't even get passed the greens.

I suspect you didn't look half as good as you thought you did.
post #7 of 28
I started out skiing @ 3, but picked up riding around 16 when I was in High School. At first, I just wanted to try it since everyone else was riding. I got to be pretty good, but the only time I would ever ride were on free skiing days when we didn't have practice. It made 'mountains' like Mohawk, Butternut and Catamount a little less boring. On a real mountain, i'd never waste my time snowboarding. It's probably been 10 years since I last set foot on a snowboard. I know lots of people who ride, and seem to have just as much fun as I do skiing, but in my mind, there is no comparison.
post #8 of 28
I grew up skiing, and by the time I was 13 and 14, I was pretty confident on black pistes... Then I went to high school and started snowboarding! Oh No! Snowboarded throughout high school and was wondering why I wasn't having as fun of a time on the mountain as I did when I was young lad...

When I snowboard I was constantly thinking of how uncomfortable I felt on the chair lift, how often I would crash, and how little of the mountain I could explore...

So this season I finally went back to skiing, I'm 19 and in my 2nd year of college and I've never been so excited. I bought new everything... boots, bindings and Head skis... I love skiing because I love exploring every part of the mountain in as little uneccesary pain as possible, and on a snowboard, I can't do that, and it was less fun...

I would agree that snowboards always seem to be on their butts. Just look down at any blue piste while on the chairlift and you'll see lots of 'em. But I would argue that snowboarders sitting in the middle of runs is not a result of being a snowboarder, but most snowboarders are young and don't have as much consideration for others. We all thought we were cool at that age and they'll eventually learn...
post #9 of 28
[quote=Skiing2Snowboarding;621904]Being somewhat of a novice skier on first day of skiing I was able to go down blue slopes. By third time ever on skies I was able to hit the diamonds.

I disagree with the statement posted above "it takes people a long time to look good on skis, it takes less time on a board" on skiis you can look good after a week of skiing on snowboard you won't even get passed the greens. [quote]

Well, here's my point, as someone who taught lots of beginners to both ski and snowboard.

With skiing, you have two independent boards on your feet. You can wedge, you can wedge christy, you can ski poorly parallel, etc. Lots of steps to truly being proficient.

With a board, there is no wedge, you can do falling leafs and such, but basically you point the board down hill and figure out the balance and edging and how to finish turns. It might take a while to progress into carving, but from my experience, the learning curve is much much steeper.

My 2 cents.
post #10 of 28
Telemark is more fun than snowboard. Snowboard is more fun than alpine skiing. Ask anyone who is good at all three.
post #11 of 28
Ummmm, what do you like to do? That is all that really matters. I have my prefered way to slide, others have theirs. The only reason I am doing is to have fun. Is there any other reason?
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Telemark is more fun than snowboard. Snowboard is more fun than alpine skiing. Ask anyone who is good at all three.
I've been skiing for years and I've tried boarding a handful of times. It's fun enough but I get so frustrated with not being able to go wherever I want and do whatever I want, like when I'm on skis. The main problem is lack of days to ski or board. As a result I like to make the best of what I have and I end up skiing alot. I hope to become as advanced in boarding as I am in skiing one day but these things don't happen overnight, especially when on skis. I started skiing because I was too young to decide what I wanted and both my parents ski. If I had started now I would probably board because it's more popular with my age group, but with twin tip skis on the market and more emphasis on freestyle skiing I think that will soon change.
post #13 of 28
Absolutely. I didn't change overnight. I skied alpine for many years until my telemark and snowboarding skills were intermediate/advanced.
post #14 of 28
[quote=E-CRAM;621909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiing2Snowboarding View Post
Being somewhat of a novice skier on first day of skiing I was able to go down blue slopes. By third time ever on skies I was able to hit the diamonds.

I disagree with the statement posted above "it takes people a long time to look good on skis, it takes less time on a board" on skiis you can look good after a week of skiing on snowboard you won't even get passed the greens.

I suspect you didn't look half as good as you thought you did.
Snowboarding is much easier than skiing. Granted, the first day is a bitch but in about a month you can teach. I suspect your snowplow down "the blues and diamonds" wasn't half as good looking as you thought it was.
post #15 of 28
I skied from ages 1 to 22, many of those years 100+ days. Stopped cold turkey and started snowboarding 100+ days a year immediatly. Did that for 6 years and now am back to skiing and snowboarding about equally. I find both very enjoyable, but find that snowboarding I can charge and have fun and dork around and have fun. Dorking around on skis isn't nearly as fun. I live out west and snowboard on powder days and maybe the day after, ski when it's crud and chopped out, and usually bring out the board when it hasn't snowed for a bit and dork around on jumps and groomers. :
post #16 of 28
Correct me if I'm wrong:

I thought it was the 20-somethings who were full-on snowboarders and that the younger generation (perhaps in rebellion/contrast) were saying skiing was cooler.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong:

I thought it was the 20-somethings who were full-on snowboarders and that the younger generation (perhaps in rebellion/contrast) were saying skiing was cooler.
To me, it's seems more like 50/50. There are still plenty of snowboarding kids out there as opposed to skiers. But yes, the younger you go, the more skiing there seems to be. It's like a wave cycle through the generations.

I kinda disagree with the snowboarding being hard to learn idea. I was personally able to become proficient after 5 days of lessons. Then again, I was 4 when I started to ski, so I don't think that would be a fair comparison? I do enjoy skiing much more though. I keep telling myself that it's because I'm better at it.
post #18 of 28
snowboarding is an inferior way of getting down the mountain, plain and simple. with rare exception they can't ski the moguls or the steeps, also it is a dorky thing to be strapped onto a board with two feet, mobility is limited with very little upside. this has been popular for 10 yrs. yet i still see many more middle-aged skiers than snowboarders, i think that as they age, they either give up snow sliding totally or switch to skiing. it is just a fad to look cool because everyone else does it. funky clothes go with it, it's a scene.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
snowboarding is an inferior way of getting down the mountain, plain and simple. with rare exception they can't ski the moguls or the steeps, also it is a dorky thing to be strapped onto a board with two feet, mobility is limited with very little upside.
I think it's an open-ended question. I think it's a matter of personal preference. You can do all three, you know, telly, alpine or board. Boarding is not an inferior way to get down the mountain. You can take a board anywhere you can take skis. (Even long flats if you unstrap your back foot.)

Jean-Claude Killy left his skis years ago and boards now. He says the board is the most efficient way to get down in any conditions. But, if you know what you are doing, you could say that about alpine or telly, too. I'm much older, but took up boarding several years ago. It's great. Eventually, I plan to get around to telly, as well. It's not in my budget this year.

I'd be interested in hearing more people on what on their experiences of the relative advantages/disadvantages of each.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
...also it is a dorky thing to be strapped onto a board with two feet, mobility is limited with very little upside....
Really? By contrast, I think it's a really dorky thing to call yourself SnowbirdDevotee and be from PA.
post #21 of 28
I dont really understand what people mean by not being able to ride the whole mountain on a board. Could someone clarify that for me
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I grew up skiing, and by the time I was 13 and 14, I was pretty confident on black pistes... Then I went to high school and started snowboarding! Oh No! Snowboarded throughout high school and was wondering why I wasn't having as fun of a time on the mountain as I did when I was young lad...

When I snowboard I was constantly thinking of how uncomfortable I felt on the chair lift, how often I would crash, and how little of the mountain I could explore...

So this season I finally went back to skiing, I'm 19 and in my 2nd year of college and I've never been so excited. I bought new everything... boots, bindings and Head skis... I love skiing because I love exploring every part of the mountain in as little uneccesary pain as possible, and on a snowboard, I can't do that, and it was less fun...

I would agree that snowboards always seem to be on their butts. Just look down at any blue piste while on the chairlift and you'll see lots of 'em. But I would argue that snowboarders sitting in the middle of runs is not a result of being a snowboarder, but most snowboarders are young and don't have as much consideration for others. We all thought we were cool at that age and they'll eventually learn...
I sort of had the same experience as you. I grew up skiing but tried snowboarding because all of my friends were doing it. The first few times I had never had less fun on a mountain. I stuck with it a bit and after awhile I was okay, could tackle blue cruisers ok and such but no real diamonds for me. I went back to skiing my first time out the next year and have never since put on a board.
Btw, I like the sig.

So to the OP, try it if you want to, you may hate it you may not. My biggest pull to trying it was the park, at the time I thought that was a cool thing.
post #23 of 28

Skiing - Boarding

Interesting thread. I resumed skiing 9 years ago after quitting in 1962 at the age of 16. That same season I took a snowboarding lesson and bought my first board. In the intervening years, I've had six snowboards and more pairs of skis than I can remember. I split my time 50/50 between the two, often utilizing both the same day.

My focus is on racing and I'm a NASTAR junkie. At the past three National Championships I was the only competitor out of 1300+ to wear two bibs. In my age group I finished 1st, 1st, and 2nd in boarding, and 8th, 10th, and 9th in skiing. Having recently turned 60 I'm moving into a new age group and hope to make the podium in both events at Steamboat this March.

If you're a skier contemplating boarding, by all means try it. You don't have to give up being a two-planker. And give some thought to trying alpine boarding. It's a small niche in the world of snowboarding where practioners ride narrower boards with hard boots. The carving ability of those boards is incredible. I'm not nearly as proficient as I'd like to be but I still have fun:

post #24 of 28
I am 55 with three young people on boards while I still ride the planks. I am considering takeing a board out to learn but wonder if I can survive the pounding of the first few days.
post #25 of 28
I'd skied on and off since Junior High and then gave snowboarding a shot in my late 20's. The first 2 or 3 days were really painfull - unlike skiing, little falls really hurt. By the end (10 days total), I was able to go down somewhat proficiently - I *******NEVER******** did that stupid scrape down the whole hill thing - most of the standard inbounds runs. No way I would have been able to do that on skis but the comparison is a bit unfair since I started way before shaped skis and and had plenty of on slope experience.

I switched back to skiing in the end because I just never liked that whole backside/frontside legs locked together thing. I bought a pair of shaped skis and worked on improving myself. Boarding could make groomed slopes interesting but so can carving on skis - which is now very possible for all skiers with a little practice. That being said, those narrow carving boards look really tempting but I can't imagine how much it would hurt to fall at those speeds.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
snowboarding is an inferior way of getting down the mountain, plain and simple. with rare exception they can't ski the moguls or the steeps
It may be an inferior way of getting up or across the mountain, but I wouldn't say it's an inferior way of getting down the mountain. OK, I'll give ya the moguls thing (bumps suck anyway), but steeps? I've seen snowboarders rip slopes that would make most people physically ill just looking down them.

Quote:
it is a dorky thing to be strapped onto a board with two feet
Maybe, but it's even more dorky to tailgun down blue runs. People in glass houses...

Quote:
it is just a fad to look cool because everyone else does it. funky clothes go with it, it's a scene.
I don't know if you've noticed or not, but skiing is getting worse than snowboarding ever was when it comes to the fad scene.
post #27 of 28
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
I dont really understand what people mean by not being able to ride the whole mountain on a board. Could someone clarify that for me
NE 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion