or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boot Drying - Page 4

post #91 of 103
Used my Boot Dry Travel Dry DX for the first time the last couple of days at Mammoth. Seems to work well, and they do get a bit warmer than expected when stuffed down inside the boots.
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdskier View Post


2 week house painting with contractors. Also no St Paddys day events here :-(
What the sheriff ban that too
Nevada city must suck
post #93 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by near nyquist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdskier View Post


2 week house painting with contractors. Also no St Paddys day events here :-(
What the sheriff ban that too
Nevada city must suck

Nevada City folks aren't really the green beer type. Other green intoxicants--you bet.

post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Nevada City folks aren't really the green beer type. Other green intoxicants--you bet.

Nevada Co BOS (bunch of old cronies) just voted an outdoor grow ban.

The Truckee Supervisor voted the other way.  Go figure. 

Natives are now outraged. LOL

post #95 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by athe0007 View Post

Here's what a Head rep had to say:

"Using a dryer is designed for ski boots is fine.  Such a dryer will use air, not hot air or direct light to dry the inner boot.  Heat does not dry boots, it only amplifies the moisture.  Hotronics Snap Dry boot dryer is a good option."
So heat doesn't dry eh? Gee, and all those clothes dryers have been so wrong for so long!
You should tell that rep that the one he recommended-Snap dry... Uh... Uses heat.
( not sure what "direct light to dry the inner boot" is. A light bulb, heat lamp?? Just silly)
post #96 of 103
Giving a big benefit of the doubt, maybe the rep meant that heat alone won't dry boots if there's no air movement (like if they're sealed in a bag).
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post

Giving a big benefit of the doubt, maybe the rep meant that heat alone won't dry boots if there's no air movement (like if they're sealed in a bag).
Well... He did say "hot air".
post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by athe0007 View Post

Here's what a Head rep had to say:

"Using a dryer is designed for ski boots is fine.  Such a dryer will use air, not hot air or direct light to dry the inner boot.  Heat does not dry boots, it only amplifies the moisture.  Hotronics Snap Dry boot dryer is a good option."
So heat doesn't dry eh? Gee, and all those clothes dryers have been so wrong for so long!
You should tell that rep that the one he recommended-Snap dry... Uh... Uses heat.
( not sure what "direct light to dry the inner boot" is. A light bulb, heat lamp?? Just silly)

Actually, I had the vent cover jammed on my clothes dryer once.. Sure enough, heat does not dry clothes.  Wound up with hot wet clothes.

post #99 of 103
I have this dryguy model


Which unfolds boot and glove outlets. Lightly heated air with a timer, works well. The fan has started to make a rattling noise lately, though.


The heat on most units is pretty gentle, not much more than body temperature. If 100 degrees is going to hurt your boots, you better not wear them.
post #100 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

The heat on most units is pretty gentle, not much more than body temperature. If 100 degrees is going to hurt your boots, you better not wear them.
Yeah my feet run around 98 and are smelly too
And that hasn't killed my boots but has packed my liners
So my dry guy with heat shouldn't kill em either
I find some of the reps are real idiots
post #101 of 103

well, to play devil's advocate  the difference is your body stays at 98, the dryguys will continue to pump more heat in there and doesn't level off.   So, say you stuff your gloves on top because you think  "that'll help keep the heat in and dry it out faster".  the rep is right that the extra heat doesn't help drying.

post #102 of 103
Leave the gloves off. The rising hot air leaving the boots means it gets replaced by incoming cooler air and that's how the boots get dry. The sticks don't keep getting hotter. (Now, I could see how if they go on the fritz and catch fire you could hurt the boots, but normally what happens is they just don't turn on.) Have used drying sticks for thirty years, have sometimes left them turned on for weeks because I forgot to put my boots away the last day or something. No issues. Boots get the sticks in them when I get home, sit overnight, get new sticks on the way to the hill. Boots are dry and warm when I put my feet in at the hill. My boots either have my feet in them or the sticks in them for four months solid. They cool off when the mountain closes.
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 
 
( not sure what "direct light to dry the inner boot" is. A light bulb, heat lamp?? Just silly)


It's one of these, and I suspect he's right about it being a bad idea:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=infrared+dryer

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion