EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Your Favorite Mountain That No One's Heard Of
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your Favorite Mountain That No One's Heard Of - Page 5

post #121 of 138

Big 10-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
Not that noone's heard of these but I like some of the lesser travelled mountains. They all need snow though to be any good.

1. Magic Mtn VT

2. Ragged Mtn NH

3. Bolton Valley Vt
Ragged Ragged Ragged, 2 peaks, no boundry ravine betwixt them! and a six pack 2 boot! Did a mention carload wedensdays?
OMG wait Magic...37 degree pitches? And a death chair!
My choice tho when I have a couple of hours in the AM...Bromley and big bumps on Havoc, then over to the Plunge!
post #122 of 138
yup - I'm familiar with the area well - used to camp up there in Jamaica as a kid, later at Winhall/West River junction. Bromley is nice on a cold day - gotta love that southern exposure.
post #123 of 138

We Need This Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshackle View Post
For those people who listed a favorite unknown mountain do you ever stop to think that some of the people who enjoy that unknown mountain might enjoy it for the very basic reason that it is unknown and that when you advertise its presence and greatness you are just helping spoil the experience?
And just how many potential "experience spoilers" are reading this forum? I know that based on these posts I'm going to try some unknown favorites out west this winter, maybe my $$$ will help them stay open, I know my visit sure wont spoil it for the rest of you. (most skiers NEVER leave their comfort zone or explore "lesser" known mountains ( see skinet forum archives "is bigger better" http://www.skinet.com/skinet/travel/...327200,00.html Magic could USE more business....I know I live there. Ah, OK, some snow would help..........
post #124 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2comp View Post
And just how many potential "experience spoilers" are reading this forum? I know that based on these posts I'm going to try some unknown favorites out west this winter, maybe my $$$ will help them stay open
I dont know how that would be because as Ive said its not lack of new skiers or anything like that causing area closures its more weather or bad money management or forest service leases not renewing.
post #125 of 138
I'll second the mention of Plattekill, NY. (When they have snow...) Nice consistent steep pitches on the black diamonds, and fun narrow, twisty blues.

I'll also mention Ski Denton, PA. Small hill, tiny lodge. Quirky trail layout, narrow trails, and they claim the steepest pitch trail in the East. (Avalanche at 66 degrees, but that portion is probably only about 50 vert. feet!)

Bristol, NY and Elk Mountain, PA are waaay too crowded on weekends to qualify for "unheard of" status. Elk also pissed me off when they put up all those "NO TREE SKIING!" signs a couple years ago. Don't know what that was all about.
post #126 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_K View Post
I'll also mention Ski Denton, PA. Small hill, tiny lodge. Quirky trail layout, narrow trails, and they claim the steepest pitch trail in the East. (Avalanche at 66 degrees, but that portion is probably only about 50 vert. feet!)
sry its not they measured that trail the same way you would measure a road....pa own Blue Knob has several trails that are steeper according to google earth. cool hill according to my buddies who have skied there but they lie.
post #127 of 138
66% not degrees. 66% of 45 degrees is how it's measured. You end up with 29 degrees which is pretty steep for a small place.
And I'm going with Plattekill. Blockbuster is a great run, steep and bumpy all the way to the bottom. Good luck finding it though. And they even give you a map to find you're way back out.
post #128 of 138
I agree with Plattekill! In a good snow year, this place is ungroomed heaven. Worth the extra 20 min. drive.
post #129 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Mount Ashland, Oregon.

Some nice pitches with a bowl... $39 daily, $20 Tuesdays... nice small town resort...

Agreed. 4th chute is nice. An added bonus is that the road curves enough on the way down to I-5 that you can push off at the parking lot and get in some great tree skiing .....if your buddies will wait for you on the road instead of stranding you to make the quick trip to Ashland for a Rogue Ale.
post #130 of 138
Elk Mountain--PA

A surprising dedication to bumps and snow is typically very good---not nearly as scraped off as other MASH resorts. A couple 1000' vert trails with beautiful bumps that were made by good skiers. Nuf said.

Mt. Baldy--SoCal

The "anti-SoCal" resort. Limited snowmaking, virtually no terrain park, slow lifts, thin crowds, and some really legit steeps. And when it dumps, it dumps. Not to mention the view--sure beats looking at Big Bear "Lake".

post #131 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
Not that noone's heard of these but I like some of the lesser travelled mountains. They all need snow though to be any good.

1. Magic Mtn VT

2. Ragged Mtn NH

3. Bolton Valley Vt
My vote is for Haystack in Vermont as well as Magic.

WW
post #132 of 138
My current home hill is a little known wonder or atleast I think so. Mt Maichen is just over the 60th parallel in SE corner of the Yukon Territory.

Our elevation is only 500ft but the entire operation is only possible through volunteer hours, fund raising by the club (which is nonprofit and runs the hill) along with the odd grant for larger pieces of equipment. Volunteer hours take care of managing the bar, grooming of the hill, brushing willow in the fall, ski lessons, ski patroller training, race team, etc.

The hill is just big enough to be able to have a good run and work on your technique in 100% natural snow, no manmade since we can't afford it. Tickets are inexpensive and lineups are almost nonexistant.

http://www.watsonlakeskiclub.ca/

Edit: And it's only a 10 min drive from my house
post #133 of 138
Liberty Mtn, in PA, is not unheard of, but does have a unique attribute which is not as well known. Our Snowsports school is one of the larger schools in the country, with 350 names on the instructor contact list, and is very well-run and supported by area management in some unusual ways. PSIA and training are well- supported. The overwhelming majority of our instructors are PSIA or AASI certified. On almost all days there is a morning clinic lasting 90 minutes to 2 hours. On weekends there are several clinics available after each of most lineups. There are regularly scheduled evening clinics, esepcially for exam preparation. Our instructors are evaluated on the hill as they teach, and given guidance to improve their teaching. Last weekend I was shadowed for two hours by one of our technical staff, and then debriefed onhis observations (excellent teaching, he ssaid) and I will be visited again later this year to see what improvements I have made, as well as what impact my teaching has had on the multi-week class. A consequence of our emphasis on the quality is that this season we are having a 32% return rate for first-time skiers, which is well above the industry average, and up from 25% last season (FWIW Whitetail and Roundtop, sister resorts are having similar good results). Liberty may only have 600 feet of vertical, but our school is among the best in the country and is worth the trip.
post #134 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Liberty Mtn, in PA, is not unheard of, but does have a unique attribute which is not as well known. Our Snowsports school is one of the larger schools in the country, with 350 names on the instructor contact list, and is very well-run and supported by area management in some unusual ways. PSIA and training are well- supported. The overwhelming majority of our instructors are PSIA or AASI certified. On almost all days there is a morning clinic lasting 90 minutes to 2 hours. On weekends there are several clinics available after each of most lineups. There are regularly scheduled evening clinics, esepcially for exam preparation. Our instructors are evaluated on the hill as they teach, and given guidance to improve their teaching. Last weekend I was shadowed for two hours by one of our technical staff, and then debriefed onhis observations (excellent teaching, he ssaid) and I will be visited again later this year to see what improvements I have made, as well as what impact my teaching has had on the multi-week class. A consequence of our emphasis on the quality is that this season we are having a 32% return rate for first-time skiers, which is well above the industry average, and up from 25% last season (FWIW Whitetail and Roundtop, sister resorts are having similar good results). Liberty may only have 600 feet of vertical, but our school is among the best in the country and is worth the trip.
so when are they going to pay you more then?
post #135 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
[snip] Liberty may only have 600 feet of vertical, but our school is among the best in the country and is worth the trip.


Buck Hill has only 400 vertical or so, it's definitely not the vertical that does it.
post #136 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
so when are they going to pay you more then?
Pay? What's that? It may seem odd, but I will accept less pay at a well-run area like Liberty than I would demand were the area less competent.
post #137 of 138
I noticed I never really responded to this thread. My picks are:

Blueknob, PA -- The mountain is amazing. When its good its the best skiing south of VT. However their lodge, lifts, snow making, and grooming equipment was all made in the 70s, so its not good that often.

Solitude, UT -- Very relaxing place to ski. I love the terrain and the snow. Any place with this many fixed grip doubles has to be good.
post #138 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by classer View Post
I'd have to add Bristol Mt in Upstate NY. Much better than Blue Know which I skied years ago while in College. Great Snow (except this season) imaculate grooming and great terrain on a 1200' vertical. Expansion plans to add another TtoB High Speed Quad and 3 more top to bottom trails. They own tons of property to expand terrain on so maybe it will not be to far off the beaten path.
A few times a year I drive 6 hrs for this little gem. I try and tell my local skiing buddies about it but they do not believe me and head up to Northern, MI instead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Your Favorite Mountain That No One's Heard Of