New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Binding "Central Screw" Torque

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Looking for the torque specifications for the "central screw" on the Atomic Device 310. Is it 4Nm like other mounting screws?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
Looking for the torque specifications for the "central screw" on the Atomic Device 310. Is it 4Nm like other mounting screws?
I have mounted 100's of Atomic bindings and never checked the torque settings of the mounting screws nor the central screw. None have ever come loose nor had a problem of any kind. Tighten it by hand until it is tight.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks. Tough for me to be comfortable with a single screw holding an entire binding set in place.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
Thanks. Tough for me to be comfortable with a single screw holding an entire binding set in place.
All Atomic bindings work this way.

I believe there is not as much pressure on thhat screw as you think. And the pressure is fore and aft not straight up. all you need to do is check it periodically. Even if it was slightl;y loose, it would have to get realy really loose to completly come unscrewed or unscrewd enough to let the toe & heel come apart.

My boys both raced very seriusly in all 4 events on Atomic bindings for 6 years and about 80 days a season. We never had one of the central screws come loose.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks again. In that case, looks like a fairly easy install with the posidrive 3 bit, then off to the shop for a release check. I've set DIN and forward pressure many times and self test the toe with a rubber mallet, but still best to have the springs tested.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
Thanks again. In that case, looks like a fairly easy install with the posidrive 3 bit, then off to the shop for a release check. I've set DIN and forward pressure many times and self test the toe with a rubber mallet, but still best to have the springs tested.
A more important issue is toe height adjustment. You must be sure you have a .5mm toe height gap under your boot.

Have you adjusted the toe height and do you know how to do it properly?
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
I know that I'm going to have to come up with some .5mm stock or feeler guage and check the clearance for "slight drag" whilst forward pressure is correct. I have to admit that the AFDs on these Device 310s don't look that great to me.
post #8 of 13
In a pinch use something you may have handy that has been “laminated” as your gauge. Also, in some states, the edge or corner of your driver’s license approximates the .5 you seek.
post #9 of 13
FWIW as a common gauge, a utility razor blade is a scootch below .5mm thick. (.48mm by my calipers).
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
I know that I'm going to have to come up with some .5mm stock or feeler guage and check the clearance for "slight drag" whilst forward pressure is correct. I have to admit that the AFDs on these Device 310s don't look that great to me.
correct. I look for a liitle bit more then slight drag.

also once you put the boot in the binding with the .5 mm stock, pull back on the top of the boot cuff and reassess and adjust if necessary. then remove boot completly from binding, replace .5mm stock and repeat, pulling boot by by cuff.

Good luck & have fun!
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
also once you put the boot in the binding with the .5 mm stock, pull back on the top of the boot cuff and reassess and adjust if necessary. then remove boot completly from binding, replace .5mm stock and repeat, pulling boot by by cuff.
Have you had this vary with the binding elasticity setting?
post #12 of 13
Tighten them, and recheck them once in a while. My wife had her device binding come loose after about a week on the skis. The heel moved all the way back and she went down hard, then got to ski on one ski carrying the other down to where I was already climbing back up, wondering what happened. Needless to say, she has not got much faith in those bindings now.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Have you had this vary with the binding elasticity setting?
No, this is just to make sure you have the toe height adjustment se properly. It pulls the boot back up against the toe hold down piece after adjusting the hold down piece 9wings0 down.

I pull back on the boot cuff to raise the toe slightly. Recheck with the .5mm card and if necessary tighten some more. then I pull back on teh cuff, check the card again. when I have the amount of drag on the card i desire, I take the boot complelty out of the bind, palce the card back in and insert the boot into the bindiong. I pull back on the cuff again & check the drag on the card. repeat until the desired anount of pressure on the boot toe is attained. You should be able to pull the card out, but with some amount of effort.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs