New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

racing helmets

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I've had my Briko Windshape for about 6 years and it's time for something new on my head. Here's what's out there:

Giro Streif
Alpina Super G
Carrera Fireball
Poc Scull X
Scott WC Comp
Uvex Wing S Ultra

What should I go with? Are there any others I am not aware of? Which is your favourite looking one?
post #2 of 24
Fireball no hesitation. Get the Alpina if you want to look like the whole Quebec ski team I have had very very good luck with the carrera. And I find its the most compatible helmet out there. IMO the POC and the Alpina Look stupid on most people. the scott is "cool" but I dont have much experience with it. I find the Giro looks "cheap" but again that is just me and its still a pretty good helmet. The Uvex is also pretty cool a bit flashy for me though it is one of the better helmet out there. I just find the Carrera strong, classy, compatible and just plain good.
post #3 of 24
Giro Talon Baby!
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAS29 View Post
Fireball no hesitation. Get the Alpina if you want to look like the whole Quebec ski team I have had very very good luck with the carrera. And I find its the most compatible helmet out there. IMO the POC and the Alpina Look stupid on most people. the scott is "cool" but I dont have much experience with it. I find the Giro looks "cheap" but again that is just me and its still a pretty good helmet. The Uvex is also pretty cool a bit flashy for me though it is one of the better helmet out there. I just find the Carrera strong, classy, compatible and just plain good.
Yeah, I was thinking Fireball, but I find them a little boring. I have white goggles and the white Fireball isn't so hot. And the dark gray has those ugly red ears...

Right now I'm leaning toward the Giro...

Where does one ski in NB?? lol
post #5 of 24
What about Maplus helmets? The X6 is anything but boring looking.

You should connect with RacerRick in Calgary. He's a former Canadian Team downhiller and now the North American distributor for Maplus and can give you insights into these versus the others.
post #6 of 24
I have the Giro Sestriere, same "last" as the Talon and Streif, just without the vents and carbon fiber. I like it a lot, mostly because it interfaces well with my oakley goggles. I would get the talon, with the removable vents.

www.iwantahelmet.com
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
Where does one ski in NB?? lol
Anywhere but there... I run the pontiac cup ciruit in Quebec and Ontario and some other series in the states... Im leaving for tremblant on sunday to train before the SuperSeries Opener in St Come and Tremblant.

As far as the Carrera goes all I can say is that I have the black helmet and white oakley goggles and I find its a pretty cool looking setup
post #8 of 24
Go with the helmet that fits your head and goggles the best.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
So I ordered the Streif... we'll see how it is!
post #10 of 24
Nice! I'm too cheap to replace my sestriere, even though I had a huge crash on it last year.
post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublediamond223 View Post
Nice! I'm too cheap to replace my sestriere, even though I had a huge crash on it last year.
Check out www.reliableracing.com. I found the Streif there on closeout for $99! They also have the Talon on closeout for $79, and the Sestriere for regular $69... not so bad...
post #12 of 24
Uvex. It's what the cool kids are wearing.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Uvex. It's what the cool kids are wearing.
Correction, Kid who THINK they are cool!
post #14 of 24
I just got a Marker Cheetah. It is a pretty comfortable helmet actually. I have been considering a UVEX too though... they are pretty nice. IMO the coolest looking slalom helmet out there is the Marker one though... (I got the GS thought because I have a Briko rapid gate).
Later
GREG
post #15 of 24
Marker cheetah is a GOOD looking brainbucket ---where d ya get it ?
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
Check out www.reliableracing.com. I found the Streif there on closeout for $99! They also have the Talon on closeout for $79, and the Sestriere for regular $69... not so bad...
Nice prices, but they are almost completely sold out.
post #17 of 24
what exactly makes a race helmet different from a normal helmet?
post #18 of 24
I got my Cheetah at Snow Country in Rochester NY - it is a really great race shop that carries most anything you could want for racing... something that is rare in a ski shop.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
what exactly makes a race helmet different from a normal helmet?
AFAIK, a hard plastic outer shell that is meant to take repeated gate impacts, an aerodynamic profile, and not a lot of vents in my experience. The plastic usually wraps all around the head, and the overall thickness of the helmet is low compared to a giro 9 or something like that.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublediamond223 View Post
AFAIK, a hard plastic outer shell that is meant to take repeated gate impacts, an aerodynamic profile, and not a lot of vents in my experience. The plastic usually wraps all around the head, and the overall thickness of the helmet is low compared to a giro 9 or something like that.
Oh so there are more to them than the obnoxious dorky colors after all
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
Oh so there are more to them than the obnoxious dorky colors after all
Mine is black :



Anyway, we clearly aren't as core as you anyway. Enjoy the 189 squads...
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublediamond223 View Post
Mine is black :



Anyway, we clearly aren't as core as you anyway. Enjoy the 189 squads...
I clearly forgot my smiley

It was a joke. And yes I am enjoying my squads they like powder, we need more of it here.
post #23 of 24
I misinterpreted your post. Just goes to show you how difficult it is to communicate real intent on a message board.

And btw, the squad comment was a cheap shot, I bet they do rip. Can't go wrong with a wide SG ski
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
I just finished my first day with my new Giro Streif and I must say I'm very happy with it. It's quite a bit lighter than most other race helmets, which is really nice, is very comfortable, fits my goggles well (Spy Blizzard) and has much better hearing than my Briko Windshape. And it looks sweet!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion