Originally Posted by mtnsORbust
Hello there bears
I was just wondering what Euro ski guide book folks would recommend for a gift this holiday season. I really like the Ski North America book, and was hoping for something similar for Euro. I have limited my choices down, if you own, have read, or just browsed any of these books please chime in.
1)Where to Ski and Snowboard Worldwide: Reuters guide by Chris Gill (I know it will be redundant w/N. American resorts
2)Ski Europe: Best Skiing and Snowboarding at Europes top resorts by Charles Leocha
3)Top 50 Ski and Snowboard in Europe 2007 by Pat Sharples
Thanks in advance
I own all of these books. (Well, sold one back).
The Ski North America is perhaps the best (pics, maps, good descriptions) - but there is no Euro equivalent.
1. The book is excellent!
The best information about European skiing!Includes piste maps and photos. Includes all the major (and many minor)Euro resorts (plus the entire )world - but with greater focus/pages on Europe. The best part - it criticizes as well as praised every resort. Pros and cons. The reviews describe snowfall, lines, terrain, etc. Very insightful. I love it! I own the 2005 and would like to update. Try Amazon UK to order it. (Shipping is expensive though).
2. This book is OK/good.
No maps. No pics. Just print.
Pretty good descriptions. But every resort is positively reviewed. A lover letter to each mountain, not a critique. Not useful comparing mountains.
Also, everything in the book is for free on this website. Everything is free!!http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/resorts.html
The above post thinks parts are deleted. Not true! Everything is the same. Everything is there. Compare Amazon read inside to website. It's the same!
I would avoid since there are no pics, maps and it is for free on the web.3. This book is Awful! BAD bad Bad!!!!!
I cannot say enough bad things about this book. It is truly, truly awful!
I hate this book so much that I have to write about it. Here are the reasons:
- The authors reviewed every resort during the season of 04/05. One season - that's it! If the resort did not have snow, they just skipped the terrain and said 'they will have to visit again.' Too bad Val Thorens had no snow when they visited. Or a bunch of others. Look of some of the pics - half the resorts have no snow cover since early season Europe was bad. Crazy!!!!
- The authors have no experience in the Alps. They visited La Grave ONE DAY. And wrote a chapter about it. Unfortunately, they only got 2 runs in. Too bad for readers they could not tell you more. Insane!!!!
- The photos are awful quality. They took their digital camera and took photos you or I would take. Dark & grainy. They took many pics of their friends getting drunk in bars. Dark and bizarre!!!!
- Photos are repeated. The same picture of Tignes is used 4 times in the Tignes chapter which lasts 6 pages. What a joke!!!!
- Some resorts are included over and over again. This is the Top 50 Ski Resorts! Courchevel 1650 (where his girlfriend owns a place), Courchevel 1850 and La Tania are all part of Courchevel - but use 3 of the top 50 places. Unfortunate since places like St. Moritz, Andermatt, Engelberg, Davos were left out! Crazy bad!!! Are they joking!!!!
This book is so bad!! So so bad!!! I sold mine used via Amazon. I felt bad selling to some sucker....