New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My season is over - Page 5

post #121 of 138
Noodler -- You're one of my heros from the ESA video, so it's tough to hear you're out for the season. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. Nice to know you're still part of the forum (i.o.w., glad the injury wasn't worse).

post #122 of 138

So bummed to hear...

I am soooo bummed to hear this news (albeit somewhat late). My wishes for a speedy and painfree recovery!

It sounds as if your break (due to higher speed?) was even worse than what Tony Sears and I suffered. But it does(will) heal, and you'll be back at it before you know it.

A piece of advice... begin your physical therapy immediately! It'll not only help with maintaining mobility of the hurt leg, but it will make getting back up on your feet much easier... It certainly helped me!

Again, my best wisjes!

Check your PM's...

post #123 of 138
Really, really bad luck, Noodler. Could you go to Chile in the summer if you get well soon enough?
post #124 of 138
Um. I think sympathy is making me stupidly optimistic there.
post #125 of 138
Thread Starter 
Well I have my first post op doctor appointment tomorrow. I'm hoping that they'll be ready to pull my staples and put the permanent cast on. They're going to take new pictures so I'll get to see the hardware.

I'm bringing my camera so I'll have some pics to add to this "trip report".
post #126 of 138
It seemed a little strange when I first saw the repair job on my wrist. I expected all the hardware to be inside and only show up on x-rays, but I had three pins sticking out of my wrist. It reminded me of Frankenstein's Monster.
post #127 of 138
Sucks to have something like this happen so early in the season too... I prescribe skiing vids. Hope to see the new you out there stronger and better than before.

On a side note, an old friend of mine who also had "hardware" in her told me a story about how the theft detectors in Sears got triggered when she walked through. Probably a rare case of over-sensitive detectors. Anyways, I'm sure you'll have great stories to tell about airport security.
post #128 of 138
Just to let you know. I have been through dozens and dozens of metal detectors over the past couple of months, and not a single one has gone off due to my leg. Even the wand doesn't pick up the titanium... hmmmm..... So, no embarrassment there...

And the chances of skiing this summer... well... why not? My leg did just fine at 9 months. With a dedicated program of rehab, I felt almost as good as new when I stepped onto my skis. It was rehabbing my brain to accept it which took almost a whole run... Drs told me I could have skied cautiously as early as 7 months, but they wouldn't have advised it. Personally, I'm happy I waited, so I could truly enjoy it!

I wonder if you will get a full cast, or just the immobilizer boot that Tony and I got. The rod is the "cast", and is stronger than any plaster.

Again, heal fast!
post #129 of 138
My Son never got a cast either. As you say, the rod is the cast.

He doesn't have any problems with airport detection either.

He also has had no side effects and the rod and screws are still in place even after three years. The Dr said to leave them in place unless they were giving him trouble.
post #130 of 138
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
My Son never got a cast either. As you say, the rod is the cast.

He doesn't have any problems with airport detection either.

He also has had no side effects and the rod and screws are still in place even after three years. The Dr said to leave them in place unless they were giving him trouble.
Same with my husband
No cast for either injury. Left leg has a titanium rod in the Femur and the Tibia. We go through airports all the time and have never had the detectors go off for his leg.

However, he did have a strand of muscle tissue get 'snaggd' on a screw head near his butt. NOW THAT was painful. This only happened once, very briefly a few months after the surgery. Never again.
post #131 of 138
sorry to hear about the accident. that completely sucks. best of luck in recovery. but out of curiosity, were you really going 50mph on cramner??? cramner gets pretty darned crowded, especially on a saturday.
post #132 of 138
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I guess I didn't pray enough (see my sig). I was so worried about all my little aches and pains that I didn't consider the effects a major accident would have on my season. In over 30 years of skiing I've never broken anything. This past Saturday at Winter Park I shattered my lower right leg.

The day started out great with about 6-8" of fresh snow - powder runs on Jane and nice big soft moguls. I was trying out my new Elan MO2 skis which had just been re-ground flat so that I could reset the base bevels to 1 degree (I'll discuss the skis more in a gear thread). At about 11:00 a.m. we needed to head over to the main Winter Park area so that one of the guys I was riding with could pickup his season pass. So were were heading down Cranmer working our way down to the main lodge. We had been skiing powder and cut up on blacks all morning and the skis felt fine. Cranmer was my first go at a blue groomer for the day, but in retrospect the surface wasn't very firm. It was a "soft" groomer and had a kind of "groomer cut-up" on top of firmer snow. Even so, I felt pretty comfortable picking up the pace and wanted to see where the speed limit was for the MO2s. I was cranking out some pretty fast GS style turns with lots of angulation and hip drop (my impersonation of racer style) - that's when my day all went wrong.

In the middle of a high-speed right-hand GS turn I caught the outside edge of my inside ski. As my body kept going right, my right leg went left. I'm pretty sure I was doing about 45-50mph at the time of the crash, but unfortunately my GPS had run out of battery power about 2 runs prior (I have a pretty good feel of my skiing speeds since getting the GPS).

When the downhill forces blew through my right leg I was left with a shattered mess. I blew out of both skis and my right leg was just flopping about - I immediately knew I broke it and I knew it was really bad. It took ski patrol about 5 minutes to get to me and another 5 minutes for the meat wagon to get to the accident scene. They assessed me on-slope and then splinted my right leg in the boot. They put me on the sled and took me into the hospital clinic. The ride down to the clinic in the sled was absolutely miserable. It's no fun to stare at the sky when you're cold and in pain.

At the clinic they decided to do all of the x-rays with my ski boot still on. My foot was so numb and my toes were really cold, but I could still feel them. They wanted to see the x-rays first to know what they were dealing with before attempting any further treatment (read that as NO pain killers allowed yet). The x-rays showed what they call a "segmented" fracture. I called it a jigsaw puzzle. My tibia was in 4 pieces, my fibula in 3, and there is a large medial ankle fracture. With this information in hand they knew I was heading for surgery so they started an IV for me and hit me with some morphine. After about 15 minutes or so of the morphine they decided it was time to get the boot of my foot. I think I now know what giving birth feels like. Taking the boot of my injured leg was the most intense excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life, but it sure did feel better once they got it off.

It took hours to figure out what doctor was going to handle my case and what hospital I was going to. When they finally figured something out I told them "no" and to go figure out something better. They wanted me to see a guy who was going to put me in St. Anthony's downtown and who wasn't going to operate until Monday. Instead I got them to find a doctor who was at Swedish in Englewood (much closer for my wife) and who did the surgery Saturday night. The clinic wanted to ship me down in an ambulance, but I'm a stubborn fool who decided that I wanted to go back down with my buddies in my own car. So they gave me a big dose of pain killer, instructed my friends on CPR and what to look for to make sure I was OK and we were off. In restrospect I was in shock and made a stupid choice - the ride was fine and they got me to the hospital without any problems, but it was silly for me to add that level of risk to an already bad situation.

At Swedish hospital the doctor reviewed my films and looked at my leg. He decided that it would be best to go into surgery immediately and avoid the possible risks of waiting. In surgery he installed a titanium rod inside my tibia which was inserted through the knee. He also used a bunch of titanium screws to secure the rod, stablize my ankle, and fix my fibula. They haven't shown me the new pictures with all this hardware installed, but I bet it looks pretty cool . The doc said that the hardware will actually make the injured areas stronger in the long run, but if I'm "feeling" them he would remove the hardware in 6 months - my choice. He said that I should actually be able to heal faster with the added support of the hardware and he thinks I'll be up and around in about 8 weeks. Of course there's months of physical therapy to follow so right now I'm pretty much thinking that my season is over.

They released me from the hospital yesterday afternoon and now I'm just trying to figure out how to run my life with my leg elevated.
Broke my left leg when I was 12 on a mogul run. Not as bad as you though, but I split both my tibia and fibula through. Luckily the break was just below the top of the boot and didn't get too mangled and didn't require surgery (doctor said if I had my boot tighter, I could have been in alot worse shape)

I know what you mean about the giving birth part. Back then I had these technica boots that were seriously hard to get on and off, and I was demanding that they figure a way to saw the boot off instead of pulling it off. They didn't and had to pull it off. I would have rather broken my other leg too instead of going through that experience. I went into shock when they pulled it off.

Get well buddy.
post #133 of 138
How about this one...I was playing tennis late August 2006 and felt a bad tear in my right calf...went to the hospital...they originally thought it may be my achilles tendon. Went to the ortho guy, told me that it was just a bad sprain (tear) and sent me on my way. A few days later I developed terrible swelling (like it wasn't swelled enough) and my ankle started to puff up like a softball. They arranged me to get an MRI about a week later...turned out I had developed two massive blood clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in my calf and behind my knee. Ended up in the hospital, had a filter put in me, started me on blood thinners...stayed in for 4 days.

So here it is Dec. my leg is still swollen and not a chance any skiing will be happening this year and I was told maybe not next year either. I am back playing limited tennis, but it swells bad if I run around too much. The doctors do not want me to be going skiing while on blood thinners plus I could not get my leg into my
post #134 of 138
Thread Starter 

Here are today's x-rays

So here are today's x-rays with all the new hardware:
post #135 of 138
Thread Starter 
They decided that it was slightly too soon to remove all the staples so those will remain for another week.

I have photos of my leg, but they're pretty gruesome. I'm not sure if I should post them yet. Let me know if there's any interest.

I'm working on getting copies of the original x-rays from the day of the accident.
post #136 of 138
Thread Starter 
They removed the original splint and bandages. It was quite painful since they had basically become glued to my skin. When they finally got everything removed my foot felt so much better. The position the had my foot in was uncomfortable in relation to my leg.

So now I'm in an immobilizer boot which I can remove if needed and change positioning as I gain mobility. I've been told to begin working on my knee mobility. I can completely straighten my leg, but I can only bend it to about 45 degrees (and that's pushing it). Nothing weight bearing on my leg for another 5 weeks. Then it's time to start PT and do some semi-weight bearing exercise. The doc thinks I could be driving again in about 8 weeks.
post #137 of 138
Did they countersink the screws? How much were the NM of torque? What DIN is your leg now? Could you have gone carbon fiber for a lighter leg?
post #138 of 138
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Did they countersink the screws?

I wish!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion