EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Who was making Fishers bindings before?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who was making Fishers bindings before?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Any clue?
post #2 of 20
Tyrolia
post #3 of 20
I think before Tyrolia, they had some integrated systems with Markers. I think the first integrated RX8's (the black and red ones) had Markers.
post #4 of 20
Yup. Marker, then Tyrolia.
post #5 of 20
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a Marker allience at one point.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a Marker allience at one point.
You didn't realize it because, er, there never was one. Salomon produced the first Fischer badged bindings. However, Fischer then moved to Tyrolia which continues to produce Fischer bindings. Fischer designs the housing. The mechanics and production are done by Tyrolia.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsman View Post
I think before Tyrolia, they had some integrated systems with Markers. I think the first integrated RX8's (the black and red ones) had Markers.
The black & red RX8 had a blank universal plate for any binding.

Michael
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
You didn't realize it because, er, there never was one. Salomon produced the first Fischer badged bindings. However, Fischer then moved to Tyrolia which continues to produce Fischer bindings. Fischer designs the housing. The mechanics and production are done by Tyrolia.
Well, I missed the Salomon connection too Needless to say I never followed Fischer that much. :
post #9 of 20
Collecting Fischer ski trivia is something of a hobby of mine. The arcane world of ski equipment is not particularly transparent and I cannot claim to always get it right. However, when it comes to Fischer my batting average is fairly decent. I'm quite content to be corrected whenever it's merited
post #10 of 20
[ IMG ][ /IMG ]

LB,

Speaking of Fischer Trivia, I just added this item, an 180cm Sceneo S500, to the other Fischer skis in the house .

Cheers,

Michael
post #11 of 20
From one Fischer trivia guy to another: The Sceneo 500 is a great ski that never received the full measure of attention it deserved.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
From one Fischer trivia guy to another: The Sceneo 500 is a great ski that never received the full measure of attention it deserved.
I had a pair two years ago, "back to the future" for me.

I tell people that the Sceneo S500 has the quickness of an RX8, the all-conditions stability of the RX9, and the edgegrip of the WC RC.

Only one downside, you better eat your Wheaties!

Michael
post #13 of 20
You're right, Fischer didn't use Marker bindings. At least not in my memory. I went back and looked at some old ski mags and it was Elan I was thinking of. The original Fusion setup was with Markers before they went with Tyrolia.
post #14 of 20
So what's Tyrolia doing? Is it simply that they are making their binding technology more available for re-badging, or are they being chosen as superior?
post #15 of 20
I think they're trying to do the same thing that Marker is doing. Make more money by forming alliances with ski manufacturers and providing "integrated systems". Every Head/Fischer/Elan ski that comes with a Tyrolia binding is one more ski that won't have a competitor's binding mounted.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsman View Post
You're right, Fischer didn't use Marker bindings. At least not in my memory. I went back and looked at some old ski mags and it was Elan I was thinking of. The original Fusion setup was with Markers before they went with Tyrolia.
Story I heard was that Marker would not make a color change for Elan so the bindings would match better, so they moved over to Tyrolia for their system bindings- Tyrolia agreed to make the color change to match the Fusion series skis.
post #17 of 20
Lostboy, or anyone else who might now,

Any idea why Fischer left Salomon and went with Tyrolia? Is there a reason other than Austrian pride?

In the XC world, Fischer and Salomon are still in business together.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by faber View Post
Lostboy, or anyone else who might now,

Any idea why Fischer left Salomon and went with Tyrolia? Is there a reason other than Austrian pride?

In the XC world, Fischer and Salomon are still in business together.
The rumor was that Salomon would not allow Fischer to badge its top end bindings and Tyrolia was willing to permit it. That is all that I've ever heard and there could be more to the story or a different one entirely.

You are right. There has been a lot of cross-pollination of ideas, technology and manufacturing between Salomon and Fischer in both the Cross-Country and Alpine ski segments. Now that Salomon has been sold to the Amer Group (which includes Atomic skis) Cross-Country cooperation will end in 2007-08. Rottefella will henceforth produce Fischer boots and bindings for its Cross-Country line. I don't know to what extent, if any, the relationship will continue in the Alpine sector.

This is about as much as I have heard or read. Others here may know more.
post #19 of 20
That's interesting, Lostboy. Thanks.

As you probably know, in XC skiing, the Salomon/Fischer combo is SOOOOOO popular. It'll be interesting to see if, when Fischer goes NNN, that will affect sponsorships: will athletes keep their Fischer skis or their Salomon boots? (No one gets too excited about Fischer's XC boots, but I know that they are trying to change that through sponsorship exposure.) Maybe Fischer will start making NIS skis...

Plenty of Fischer trivia/intrigue there, but it's not alpine...
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
The rumor was that Salomon would not allow Fischer to badge its top end bindings and Tyrolia was willing to permit it. That is all that I've ever heard and there could be more to the story or a different one entirely.
And now Salomon Drivers are being rebadged as Atomic. :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Who was making Fishers bindings before?