New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Helmets in hand luggage

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Copying a similar thread from snowheads....

statesite, what is the current policy of helmets in your hand luggage? I'm a little paranoid with checking it in (knowing how your lugage is treated). Will TSA make me place it in the confiscated items bin? Any first-hand accounts/reports after that whole no-gel ziploc clear bag policy was introduced?
post #2 of 21
I have never had trouble having my helmet and ski boots in my carry on in the US. Unless your helmet contains lots of metal or made out of C-4 plastique, I wouldn't worry about it.
post #3 of 21
I pack my helmet, usually in the center of my luggage. I carry on my boots though.
post #4 of 21
I use a transpack, I put my helmet in the center compartment with goggles and gloves. Boots in the side compartments. Never had a problem on Continental.
post #5 of 21
My kid does the same with a Transpack ... helmet & boots. All over this summer; Hood, Whistler and Austria ... no issues. He uses it as his carry on.
post #6 of 21
Yuki:

Has he ever been hassled caring the transpack on? They are really nice bags, but the weird shape has scared me off, they are way over the limit of most airlines carryon.
post #7 of 21
Yup, I got a transpack too with boots on the side and helmet in the middle. It is definitely too big to be brought on board, so I've had to check it in and thankfully, my bags have arrived with me on previous trips. Leaving for Colorado this Wednesday and I'm hoping not to have any problems with the checked baggage being that it's a non-stop flight. But you never know... :

I don't think there should be problems with taking it on board.
post #8 of 21
I tried with boots in the Transpack. It is ok if there is nothing more than my laptop in the center.
post #9 of 21
Last year carry-on worked fine.
I have a fairly old Land's End bag with a bottom compartment where boots lay flat and a top compartment where my helmet & a day's clothing fit. As long as there was nothing under the helmet, it fit.

But the question -- have the new (post-liquid) rules changed things? The only time I've flown since the new rules was a day trip with nothing but a few papers.

Has anyone flown with boots and/or helmets recently?
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Has anyone flown with boots and/or helmets recently?
Quick Bump for anyone who has flown with both helmet and boots recently? I have two trips coming up in the next month from DC to UT and CO/WY and I would like to carry on my boots/helmet and ski clothes in a bag. Was looking at the transpack xt1 and swix tri pack but it seems like these won't be allowed as a carry on if fully packed? How about packed with clothes and helmet and carry on my boots as a personal item? Thanks.
post #11 of 21
I took my boots as hand luggage in December. no problem. With the size restrictions for hand luggage in Europe (can't remember if it applies in the US) that was all I had room for.
But my helmet has always just gone with my clothes - no problems with damage.
post #12 of 21

snagged by Air France

Got snagged by Air France last year for having helmut and socks in " boot bag". They charged me extra $75 for " third peice of luggage"
post #13 of 21
If you wear your helmet, you tend to get the whole row to yourself.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
If you wear your helmet, you tend to get the whole row to yourself.
That's hilarious, I was thinking the same thing - if my bag won't fit, just carry my boots as a personal item and wear my helmet on the plane! Thanks for the replies - I thought I've seen an actual "traditional style" backpack before that fits boots, gear and a helmet inside that should be no trouble to carry on fully packed, but now I can't seem to find it....
post #15 of 21
Wear it, youll be safer
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx15 View Post
That's hilarious, I was thinking the same thing - if my bag won't fit, just carry my boots as a personal item and wear my helmet on the plane! Thanks for the replies - I thought I've seen an actual "traditional style" backpack before that fits boots, gear and a helmet inside that should be no trouble to carry on fully packed, but now I can't seem to find it....

My son has one. Boots go in side pockets, center compartment is about the diameter of a helmet and will hold helmet, gloves, pants, and miscellany. For the recent really warm days, he even secured his coat under the flap for an all-in-one bundle. I can look at the brand later.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it did not fit in the overhead fully loaded. IIRC, we had to take something out and squish it together.

It is very nice for general carrying, though.
post #17 of 21
I recently went on a business/ski trip where I had very little room left in my luggage and so I had to carry-on my helmet. It wouldn't even fit into my carry-on so I clipped it to the outside of my pack - no problems with security in doing so. It was however a PITA to deal with unclipping it every time I put my bag down so that it didn't get beat up too much.

Felt like an idiot on the rental car shuttle when I unclipped my helmet from my pack, and put it on out of instinct as if the door were going to open at the top of the tram ride ... I was in Raleigh.
post #18 of 21
Haven't flown with a ski helmet but have flown with my riding helmet in my carry on recently, didn't have any problems with that.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
My son has one. Boots go in side pockets, center compartment is about the diameter of a helmet and will hold helmet, gloves, pants, and miscellany. For the recent really warm days, he even secured his coat under the flap for an all-in-one bundle. I can look at the brand later.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it did not fit in the overhead fully loaded. IIRC, we had to take something out and squish it together.

It is very nice for general carrying, though.
Sounds like a transpack style one which is what I'm leaning towards, I guess I'll just take my boots and possibly my helmet out if I can't cram it through the x-ray machine or fit it into the overhead storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodee View Post
Felt like an idiot on the rental car shuttle when I unclipped my helmet from my pack, and put it on out of instinct as if the door were going to open at the top of the tram ride ... I was in Raleigh.
That's great!
post #20 of 21
Why don't you wear your boots and helmet and carry on something else?
post #21 of 21
I just flew Jet Blue to Denver and there were 12+ young racers from New England ski academies. All of them carried on boots and I saw a lot of helmets dangling off bags. I presume a lot of other helmets were in the carry on bags.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel