New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynastar Assaults

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Howdy. I'm thinking of buying a pair of Dynastar Assaults that are still in the plastic but 3 seasons old. I've read about Dynastar Assault Superiors and am wondering if that's the same ski. I'm looking for a ski made for bumps. Doesn't matter if it's horrible everywhere else....I just want a bump ski. If you really know bump skis, I'd appreciate your opinion about these, AND feel free to tell me what you think is The BEST bump ski, and the best length for me: 6'-1", 185 lbs, 46 years old, (been skiing 40 of them) expert bump skier. (Sorry, I'm not looking for an all-mountain ski. Really.) Thanks!
post #2 of 14
The Assault was a great bump ski in its day, IMHO, you would be better off with a K2 Cabrawler or one of the other more modern bump skis that are shorter and a bit wider. Along with skis changing in the past 5 years, they also changed the shape of the bumps, a 195 Assault won't ski todays bumps as well.
post #3 of 14
Who changed the shape of the bumps?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiboats View Post
Who changed the shape of the bumps?
Everyone who went from a 195-205 to a 165-175. Bumps have gotten closer together.
post #5 of 14
makes sense
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Howdy. I'm thinking of buying a pair of Dynastar Assaults that are still in the plastic but 3 seasons old. I've read about Dynastar Assault Superiors and am wondering if that's the same ski. I'm looking for a ski made for bumps. Doesn't matter if it's horrible everywhere else....I just want a bump ski. If you really know bump skis, I'd appreciate your opinion about these, AND feel free to tell me what you think is The BEST bump ski, and the best length for me: 6'-1", 185 lbs, 46 years old, (been skiing 40 of them) expert bump skier. (Sorry, I'm not looking for an all-mountain ski. Really.) Thanks!
Me 5'10" 165lbs.44yrs. I have assaults 190cm,and K2 Mamba 185cm. I can ski both in EC icy bumps but currently prefer the slightly softer Mamba.
You have 30lbs on me so you will flex them more (+). The Assaults are stiffer like all my previous bump skis Rossi 4M 190cm, 5SM 192cm regarding stiffness, perhaps assaults are- tad stiffer. At your 6'1", a 190cm ski would be fine. Not sure what the "Superior" assaults are exactly.
And no straight mogul skis aren't that bad everywhere else, what do you think we all skied on before the fats, just takes some getting used to!
PS I love my 0506 PE 179 as well all mt. The K2 Mamba was my second pair of K2 and there sweet too. Maybe I should just stick with K2 now.
I havn't tried the new shorter, fatter Mogul skis as of yet, but the pros seem to be rocking them fine.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

straights

Anybody out there using shaped skis on moguls and loving it?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Anybody out there using shaped skis on moguls and loving it?
I am. I am skiing my Metrons in the bumps and am having a blast on them. I can carve inthem and also ski the zipperline. The only time i would like to have a longer straight ski is if I get real back on the ski, but that is due more to fault than design.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I am. I am skiing my Metrons in the bumps and am having a blast on them. I can carve inthem and also ski the zipperline. The only time i would like to have a longer straight ski is if I get real back on the ski, but that is due more to fault than design.
Yeah, but you're a Hack!
post #10 of 14
I use shaped skis in the bumps and love it! I owned 3 pair of either Verticals or Vertical Assaults (ranging in size from 190 to 198) between 1988 and 1998 and would not go back to any of the three for the bumps.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Yeah, but you're a Hack!
Shhhhh...Don't blow my cover. I need to talk a good game.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm old. What's "the zipperline?"
post #13 of 14
I had assaults back in the day... This year I mounted some 2006 Twisters for my bump ski, but I haven't ridden them yet. One of my favourite skis in the bumps that was still able to rip everywhere else was the Dynastar concept
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
I'm old. What's "the zipperline?"
If you look down the bumps, you see a line that looks like well..a zipper.

)
(
)
(
)
(
)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion