Originally Posted by Latchigo
Many places. I do like Switzerland. So Davos / Klosters, Wengen/ Grindlewald/ Murren, Zermatt.
Or St Anton.
Or Tignes/Val d Isere, or the Three Valleys.
Why not Verbier ?
1) It is supposed to be crowded.
2) The signposting is supposedly poor and it is disjointed.
3) My biggest reason. It is mainly a chalet resort and if I wanted a chalet resort the French do them so much better.
4) It is supposed to be expensive. For example The Farm club, or whatever it is called and associated r soles.
I have not been there and maybe my preconceptions, prejudices will be proved wrong.
Ive been to all those places you are refering to except Wengen, Grindlewald and Murren. Ive been to Davos a couple of times so I have naturally been to Klosters but back in the good old days I have done the Madrisa tour twise. That is skiing from the Austrian side, Gargellen, down in a valley close to Klosters and then back to Gargellen from Kloster. This is some trip but I think they dont do it anymore due to safety issues.
1. Crowded....??? do you see any other skier on the entire video clip? Up to Mt Gele if it opens up there will be a 2h lift line but once you start skiing down you will be on your own. Every run down from Mt Gele is offpist and you can do short hikes to incredible powder skiing even without a guid. The video was filmed at Stairways to Heaven which does not even require you to take the little cabin to Mt Gele. Also if you go up to Mt Fort you can ski down on the back side. Havent done it but its supposed to be pritty radical. If you are looking for bumps you have come to the right place also because thers bumps all over. Verbier is not a good place for beginners or intermediates looking for nice gromed pists to ski a week.
2. Signposting poor.....??? I saw a signpost saying Avalache Danger and a fence closing off that part of the mountain. What better signposting do you need. I think you must have wrong information because in Swizerland everyting is clean and organized. In France and Italy its annother story. But in that sence you are right, there is no signpost reading: -perfect power here or -no crowd over there
3. The frech do it better???? In Val Thorens we were staying with my wife on the 6th floor in a big appartmentbuilding without a ski room. The table had to be swinged up against the wall in order for us to pull out the crappy borken sofa bead to slept
. I seriously dont think this would be a problem.
4. In the Alps and especially in Swizerland everything is expensive. But, cannot be more expensive than Zermat. The Farm Club? Sounds like a disco or night club! When I go to Verbier I go because of the excelent ski conditions and for the after ski action. I drink beer and eat pizzas. I stay away from nightclubs that open 12oclock at night where you have to pay 50dollar entrance you sip 250dollar a bottle shampain. In Courchewel it was like that. The good thing in Courchewel was that there was nobody else out to ski the morning power than me
. I also ski with my family so Im not a night life maniac but in Verbier there is some serious action....http://www.yellowmike.com/Verbiermars2.mpg
I think your preconceptions and prejudices are not justified. I dont know what kind of skier you are or what kind of dancer but I suspect you will love it