New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on Tahoe

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Every year me and my friends take a trip to someone in the country to ski for a week. Here is how it goes. We usually ski the major resort for 2 days and 3 other resorts the other three days. We ski Monday - Friday. I've gotten nothing but good advice from the Bears so I am putting my decision on where to ski in your hands. Since our condo this year is so close to Heavenly, we will probably ski there for two days. The other three are up to recommendation. None of us have ever been to Tahoe before.

We will be skiing during the first week in February (5th - 9th). We also rent a car, so resorts don't need public transportation between them. Our condo is supposed to be 5 minutes outside of Heavenly resort in NV. Also, if there is already a topic posted that closely resembles this, post a link.

I'm looking for any advice anyone can give me on these topics.

1) Where to ski - This is the most important. We are all very decent skiers. Our favorite resorts so far have been Vail, Copper, Alta, Snowbird. We like the open trail feel that we don't get on the east coast. I prefer to stay away from resorts like the Canyons in Utah for instance, if we wanted to ski trails, we go to Killington.

2) Where to get the best lift ticket deals - Obviously we aren't skiing all five days at one resort, but if there are combo tickets we can pick up, or if there is a store on the way to the resort that has discount tickets.

3) Great places to eat - We all love brewpubs. Last year we ate out four nights at four different brewpubs. Any good recommendations in Tahoe?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 26
[1] Squaw, Heavenly, Kirkwood.
[2] http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/

The best deal was the sold-out 6-pack. But I would not be surprised that something will come up soon.



[3] Try the casinos

I like the
$8.95 prime rib dinner at lakeside inn
$35.00 seafood buffet at Harris. In one dinner last year, I had 3 dozen raw oysters.
post #3 of 26
On where to ski, there are three places on the South shore, all of which agent.5 has kindly listed. Basically, those are your choices for driveable resorts.

There is a boat from South Lake to Tahoe City, which would allow you to ski Squaw or Alpine, either or both of which would fit your big open non-east-coast desire. I think it's called the Tahoe Queen.

If you want to splurge, you might think about doing some cat skiing. I think that there's a south shore based operation, but I don't recall what they're called. North side option is Sierra Crest Snow Cats, IIRC.
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.5 View Post
$35.00 seafood buffet at Harris.
sorry. it should be Harvey's casino.
post #5 of 26
My 2 cents

1. Since you are south shore make sure to hit Kirkwood.
2. To save a few $$ check out the snowbomb card. www.snowbomb.com. For $40.00 you get a Kirkwood ticket (good M-Th) and a few $$ off Squaw, Norhtstar tixs and a bunch of other resorts etc. Does nothing for Heavenly.
2a. If you are flying into Northern California, the grocery store chain Albertsons sells $59 Heavenly lift tickets. $72 at the window.
3. Alpine Meadows is only $46 and is a great moutain. Acres of bowls and great open spaces. "No out bounds" policy. If you can see it, hike it you can ride it.
4. Sierra at tahoe has great tree skiing but has mostly long trails
5. For one of the best deals in Tahoe Mt. Rose has 2 for 1 ticket prices every tuesday. Their new "The Chutes" expert terrain rivals anything at heavenly. Probably about a 1 hr drive from South Lake. Still $58 for TWO lift tixs is not bad at all.
6. If it storms at all plan on hitting heavenly. Krikwood, Sierra, Mt. Rose all require driving over a pass so storms can make it sketchy and subject to road closure. Alpine and Squaw are also a drive around the lake away.
post #6 of 26
I would say obviously do Heavenly because you're there. If you're good, check out Motts and Killebrew. I've never gotten down to Kirkwood but they have some unbelievable dumps at times so it might be worth doing if you get a storm and the road stays open.

Squaw and Alpine are two good bets. Squaw has some good extreme terrain - KT22 has some steep nasty stuff. There are cliffs there too so be aware when you see a warning sign and take it seriously. I like Alpine - especially the backside - had a few times where I skied first tracks over there. It can also get a lot of sun and become soft mashed potatoes.

Although people refer to it sometimes as "flatstar" I actually think Northstar is worth it as well. There is a new area to the north, forget the name but it has a few long steep moguled runs on it. Plus there are some treed runs that are nice. Also kids if there are any will love the little runs at the bottom - through the woods and such it's almost set up like a little amusement park . Hey I'll admit I had fun on it at the end of a long day.
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Nice!

I appreciate the advice and I will be looking into everything that was suggested.
post #8 of 26
Squaw and Heavenly are my fav moutains.
While at Squaw check out : Plump Jacks for fine dining, and a more causal pub and good night live entertainment the Auld Dubliner.
post #9 of 26

Squaw advice

from a prior posts on Squaw (I've pasted in some text for you from the link): http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...highlight=dino
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=32512
[if you run a search, you can also find a lot more...]
[BTW: I'm not revealing any big secrets here; Squaw's lines are about as obvious as it gets - you can see the tracks. One thing to add would be to hit Broken Arrow.]

If you at at Squaw midweek, there will not be any lift lines. However, this is an efficient way to survey the mountain & ski, instead of spending time traveling around. Look at the map online before you try to do this...

If you have skis, then park in the lot between the old Red Dog Grill & Far East lift; there's a ticket kiosk right there & you can park within steps of lift. Take Far East chair up.

[If you don't have skis & rent demos from Squaw Ski Shop or Granite Chief, then start at KT-22.]

Go down Red Dog/Dog Leg to KT-22. Take runs off KT-22, including Oly Lady side. It will be PM, so if you want to challenge yourself by going down W. Face, then the snow should be fine. You can see a zillion lines; some expert, some advanced, some psycho.

From KT-22, ski down Rock Garden & hit Headwall Chair. Ski the Nose. Next time up, take trail around to top of old Cornice II & hit chutes below ridge there (really, they're not that hard). If you're up for it, you can turn & take a left & hit the Slot before you get down to the top of Cornice II.

After a few laps, go straight off the back of Headwall into Siberia Bowl. Take Siberia lift up. The foregoing will take you a couple of hours. If you're running late, keep skiing KT-22 and Headwall. If not, consider the following.

Ski down to Gold Coast Bar, which is lower level of the building. Have a beer at Gold Coast as the bar is steps from where you can ski up. Walk up about 50' to upper level of building (where Funitel exits), put on skis & skate/pole over to Emigrant Chair, whicih is ~50 yards over.

From Emigrant, drop down the Funnel & ski down to Granite Chief Chair. Take a run on Granite Chief & take Shirley Lake chair up.

From Shirley Lake chair, ski past front of High Camp, and take a sharp left at the end of the buildings. Enter top of bowl (which is backside of Broken Arrow) & head down to Silverado. Take Silverado up.

Ski down Mountain Run to Headwall Chair. Go to wherever you liked earlier. Or, do some laps if you have already found a place you like.

apre: Balboa/Le Chamois/Plaza Bar
also: Mamasake sushi, Plumpjack.

see, also: River Ranch bar, Bridgetender...
post #10 of 26

Good Advice here

My 2Cents

Do not lock yourself into specific areas by advance purchase of Lift tickets.

The saving is not that much.

There are many good resorts around Tahoe, any one or two might be the best place to go on a given day based on many factors.

When you are getting near you vacation time check back here to see what’s good or bad based on the weather and snow pack at the time of your trip. Keep internet access available while on your trip to get day to day recommendations on what the best options are. Keep us informed of where you are skiing and you may get some free guide service and local company?

Keep in mind there are people on this board who have traveled here to ski and had good and bad experiences at every ski area.
There are people who live here who might have a good idea of what are the best options (Today) based on X,Y,Z
post #11 of 26
MTT has it right about being flexible. Heavenly, where you're staying, is Exhibit A. It can be an absolute zoo on a sunny weekend or some of the best powder tree skiing you've ever seen on a stormy weekday.
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
MTT has it right about being flexible. Heavenly, where you're staying, is Exhibit A. It can be an absolute zoo on a sunny weekend or some of the best powder tree skiing you've ever seen on a stormy weekday.
I totally agree. And we're going to be skiing Monday - Friday so the whole weekend crowd won't be an issue.
post #13 of 26
MTT and some of the other locals may have a better handle on where to score discount tix once you're at the mountain, but I thought I'd toss out this little warning:

The Albertson's discount Heavenly passes are only available outside of S. Lake Tahoe (i.e. in Sacto, San Fran, and other participating stores not located in SLT). If you go to the Albertson's in SLT they won't have the tickets nor will they know what you are talking about (tried to do it last season when I drug a buddy along and he scoffed at the $70 ticket price).
post #14 of 26
For a restaurant treat: Bacchi's in Lake Forest, just north of Tahoe City. Fabulous family-style Italian food. I agree with the sea-food buffet, but believe it is at Harvey's, now owned by Harrah's.

Other ski resorts: Squaw, Sugar Bowl (you have to drive a slight way back over Donner summit), Northstar, and Alpine Meadows.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
MTT and some of the other locals may have a better handle on where to score discount tix once you're at the mountain, but I thought I'd toss out this little warning:

The Albertson's discount Heavenly passes are only available outside of S. Lake Tahoe (i.e. in Sacto, San Fran, and other participating stores not located in SLT). If you go to the Albertson's in SLT they won't have the tickets nor will they know what you are talking about (tried to do it last season when I drug a buddy along and he scoffed at the $70 ticket price).
We'll be flying into Sacramento (no direct flights into Reno/Tahoe from where I am). Any idea the address of an Albertson's where we can get the discount tix?

Thanks
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltat View Post
We'll be flying into Sacramento (no direct flights into Reno/Tahoe from where I am). Any idea the address of an Albertson's where we can get the discount tix?

Thanks
Probably easiest Albertson's on Hwy 50 would be in Placerville (about 35 miles east of sacramento, 50 miles west from South Lake Tahoe). On Broadway. Check out www.albertsons.com for exact location and map. Placerville is an old mining town with a historic district right on broadway. Not a bad place to stop for a beer as well before your summit attempt.
post #17 of 26
Man! Snowbomb, Motts, everyone took all of the advice I was going to give. Really, all of the above advice is dead nuts on. Consider it a blessing you are flying into SAC instead of Reno. Take a look at rental car prices between the two. Sac is a lot cheaper. If you are going to stay in South Lake, there is a barbeque place across the street from the Heavely gondola, right next to Tahoe Dave's gas station, good place to eat, forget the name. If you stay in Truckee there is a really cool sports bar, Blue Moon, Blue Coyote? Something like that. If I had to pick four places to hit for the week it would be Squaw, Kirkwood, Alpine, Heavenly (in that order).
post #18 of 26

The source for all tahoe deals

The source for all tahoe deals:
http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/deals/all.shtml
post #19 of 26
an old elementary school chum of mine owns Naked Fish, a sushi joint, in SLT.

pretty decent considering how far from the ocean it is.

I've eaten there several times over the past couple of seasons and it's always been solid (best to call for a reservation, though, as it's small and they get swamped on the weekends).
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
an old elementary school chum of mine owns Naked Fish, a sushi joint, in SLT.

pretty decent considering how far from the ocean it is.

I've eaten there several times over the past couple of seasons and it's always been solid (best to call for a reservation, though, as it's small and they get swamped on the weekends).
Is that located next to Alpensierria Coffee? On Lake Tahoe Blvd(us50)
post #21 of 26
I dont know if your a Costco/Sams Club member, but those big boxes between San Fran and Tahoe usually have 1 or 2 discounted lift ticket passes for the major resorts around Tahoe. Last year at Costco in Sunnyvale, CA I picked up 2 days at Heavenly for $49 a day.
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple.rr View Post
I dont know if your a Costco/Sams Club member, but those big boxes between San Fran and Tahoe usually have 1 or 2 discounted lift ticket passes for the major resorts around Tahoe. Last year at Costco in Sunnyvale, CA I picked up 2 days at Heavenly for $49 a day.
What about BJ's? Do they have those stores in California?
post #23 of 26
Stores?
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltat View Post
What about BJ's? Do they have those stores in California?
You mean the brewpub chain? If you're coming from Sacramento, they have one in Folsom CA - take the east bidwell exit - go maybe less than a mile, its on the right past broadstone. Not my personal favorite, but whatever.

Closer in, there's some kind of brewpub at the junction of 50 and 89 (in meyers, ~10 miles outside stateline) called "divided sky", has stiff drinks, music a couple days, sandwiches. I like "burger lounge" in slaketahoe.
Everything else has been said, except there are some discount lift tickets for sale at a few places around the town, the ski shops and so forth. Ask around when you get there. And, in case its a bluebird day after a dump - even weekdays - get your parking space early (especially kirkwood); won't bother me - I'll be there before you.
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescho View Post
You mean the brewpub chain? If you're coming from Sacramento, they have one in Folsom CA - take the east bidwell exit - go maybe less than a mile, its on the right past broadstone. Not my personal favorite, but whatever.

Closer in, there's some kind of brewpub at the junction of 50 and 89 (in meyers, ~10 miles outside stateline) called "divided sky", has stiff drinks, music a couple days, sandwiches. I like "burger lounge" in slaketahoe.
Everything else has been said, except there are some discount lift tickets for sale at a few places around the town, the ski shops and so forth. Ask around when you get there. And, in case its a bluebird day after a dump - even weekdays - get your parking space early (especially kirkwood); won't bother me - I'll be there before you.
So I guess no one out west knows what a BJ's is (besides from the obvious). BJ's out east is a store EXACTLY like Costco. It's one of those buy in bulk warehouse stores.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltat View Post
So I guess no one out west knows what a BJ's is (besides from the obvious). BJ's out east is a store EXACTLY like Costco. It's one of those buy in bulk warehouse stores.
In the West, we prefer our BJs of a different sort. :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel