or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › helmets? yay or nay?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

helmets? yay or nay? - Page 5

post #121 of 356
Peolpe on both sides are "holier than thou". Currently it is a choice. An informed choice, I hope. I have never seen any evidence that shows wearing a helmet is more dangerous then not wearing one. I have seen a lot of evidence that supports wearing a helmet for safety. Many injuries are not fatal, but life changing. Head iunjuries are scary. I've seen many victims of head injuries from skiing, rock climbing, motorcycles, bicycles, skateboarding etc. The vast majority of these would have been much less severe if the person injured was wearing a helmet. Some of these would have been no different, and maybe even a few worse. Statistics, Statistics. Every anti-helmet person becomes a pro-helmet person after their accident. The chances are low that you will get injured skiing. I choose to lower that even still. But I also find my helmet comfortable and warm (I have a hard time keeping warm even with spring skiing). Reasons for not wearing them put comfort and pleasure (among others) above safety - that maybe valid for that person and it is their choice. I respect Bob's choice not to wear a helmet. He has looked at the risk and felt it very low and in no need to lower it. However, I would state that 30 years of injury free skiing is superb, but doesn't translate into a lower risk going forward (your actions regarding safe skiing do lower your risk, and maybe the reason you've had no accidnets).

It is my opinion that helmets should be mandatory for motorcycles. They will be mandatory for my children riding or skiing. Highly encouraged for skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing. Are they fullproof? No way. If they encourage more risky behavior, then they might actually be dangerous. I do not ski differently with or without a helmet. They work for me. Hope your choice works for you.
post #122 of 356
Oh My God! Just Wear It If You Want To. Obviously, If Theres Something On Your Head That Will Absorb Impact, You Have More Protection, But Its Up To You And No One Cares If You Do Or Don't.
post #123 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
I think I'm not alone when I say I have very rarely seen those two words together.


Don't bother replying. I'm not worth it. And I'll be out, polishing my helmet, anyway.


That's more info than we needed.
post #124 of 356
As an FYI: There are actually some ski testing standards
but they are not uniformly applied/enforced. See http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html
post #125 of 356

yea or nay

I survived a motorcycle crash on my dirt bike many years ago. I went through/over a guardrail on quiet wooded country road, and was airborne of about 100+ feet before impacting the base of a tree. A trucker driving for Hallmarks cards found me by following the parts trail. The face of my guardian angel was a 300lb trucker crying because he though he found a dead kid. You never forget . . ..

The face guard took a lot of the force. From what, I'm not sure. Could have been the tree I hit, or the ones I went through. Yes, I was hurt. But I was not dead.

I often ski faster than I was riding at the time of the crash. Similar crash conditions could occur on the edge of most slopes, and certainly in the trees.

I love helmets. I wear mine. I'm living proof of the yea vote.
post #126 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdad View Post

It is my opinion that helmets should be mandatory for motorcycles.
wait... you mean they are not? wow... here in Chile they have been for like 10 or 15 years... of course, people still try to be "cool" and don't wear them until they get a ticket or their license taken...

back to skiing, on my two seasons working at Windham i have seen and heard of enough accidents to make me want to make sure my helmet is on...

at first i wasn't so sure, and i only got it because the patrollers convinced me, but two weeks later when a snowboarder crashed into me from behind at Hunter, i became a believer...
post #127 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Seems to me that you were the original poster of that particular link
Someone you know?
No, I just got the idea to post that link when someone else linked to a cheesy picture of a model wearing a swimsuit and skis in the 'who would you like to ride up with' thread. This gal looked more like a real skier and cuter, but the more I look at the picture, I'm thinking she could be 15, and I'm feeling like a dirty old man. :

The hair blowing in the wind is definitely more visually appealling. I've seen many women and some men skiing without hats because they think they look better with their hair showing or are afraid of 'hat hair'. How do I know that's why they don't wear a hat? Well, maybe they find hats confining or uncomfortable, but when it's below freezing and you aren't wearing a hat (or helmet) you aren't going to convince me the choice isn't based on vanity.

Me, I got my helmet when they were just starting to become popular and mostly just to appear fashion forward. I wanted to look like a real, serious skier, up to date, with the fast crowd...
post #128 of 356
Rodney, there's just one thing worse than "Hat Hair", and that would be losing hair



Well this guy doesn't wear a helmet, and the wind effect is perfect:
Now ask yourself, who is holier than thou?

post #129 of 356
Nice pix . Yeah, if it's warm out and you want to ski sans head wear, OK, fine. I'm not going to accuse either of these characters of deciding to go 'bare-headed' for the sake of vanity. What about sunburn though? :

I'm reminded of Billy Kidd, who came to our little hill on some kind of goodwill tour. I assumed the cowboy hat never came off because he wasn't really comfortable with his baldness. I don't know that he's bald, (has anyone seen him without the hat?), but that's the impression I got.

OK, I wear a helmet to look cool, so I assume everybody else chooses headwear for similar reasons.
post #130 of 356
I never used to wear a helmet when I was younger. I am 23 now and started skiing around 3 or 4. I definitely think kids should wear helmets. Seeing some of the younger kids take spills without a helmet is painful to watch. If your older its really up to you. When I skied on my schools ski team they made us wear them and that’s when I got turned on to them. They are extremely good on really cold/windy days. You cannot beat a helmet for wind protection. As for leisure skiing I don't wear a helmet, it’s only when I want to do aerials or try something new on the bumps do I wear one.


On another note wearing helmets on the moguls is the smartest thing you can do. It really helps prevent getting road rash (ice rash I guess in this case) if you somehow manage to spill and start sliding.
post #131 of 356
Welcome to Epicski Halo. Helmet preventing road rash? Another bald guy? At 23?
post #132 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugrud View Post
Or it might be saying something about the thickness of the average Minnesotian's head. (Tongue in cheek)
They have to protect the ice in Wisconsin!
post #133 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJazz View Post
Wow, Bob Lee! Did I direct my repsonse to you personally ...
I was just responding to a post because it was there and interested me. Should wait to respond until I'm mentioned by name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJazz View Post
... whoever you are?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Explain please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJazz View Post
A simple statement of my position is what I intended and accomplished, not meant to challenge whatever position you may have.
It seems a little disingenuous to state that "wearing a ski helmet is an act of responsibility and care for one's self, loved ones, EMTs charged with treating an accident scene, and fellow insurance policyholders who bear the ultimate costs on one another's accidents." without expecting someone to take that as a challenge to their personal responsibility and accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJazz View Post
Now, be nice!
Always.

By the way, you forgot to answer my question: Do you wear body armor and spine protection? Do you think skiing itself presents an irresponsible risk for you, as well as your loved ones, EMTs charged with treating an accident scene, and fellow policyholders, all of whom must bear the ultimate costs of any accident you have while skiing?
post #134 of 356
This helmet debate is mostly personal opinions and everybody has one but I like the input from new members. We got many new people like Bob above and Ronin that feel strongly about their concerns. Welcome to Epic guys/gals and keep it civil but at the same time keep it real
Three thumbs up for the new blood
post #135 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I'm reminded of Billy Kidd, who came to our little hill on some kind of goodwill tour. I assumed the cowboy hat never came off because he wasn't really comfortable with his baldness. I don't know that he's bald, (has anyone seen him without the hat?), but that's the impression I got.

I think that its more like Plake's mohawk, but uh...
post #136 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
As an FYI: There are actually some ski testing standards
but they are not uniformly applied/enforced. See http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html
I posted that link in an earlier helmet thread. If you watch the video in the clip, it may make a difference.

At the very least, you'll say WOW!
post #137 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
I used to feel the exact same way as you, I even used to think that way about seatbelts, car inspections, drugs, speeding...basically everything. But then one day I came upon a realization as I sat in traffic 2hrs on a hot summer day and finally rolled upto the reason why I was forced to lose 2hrs of my life that I will never recover....a broken down car that looked like a jalopy; lack of maintenance on the owners part. You see the rules, laws, guidelines, are there not because we or the govt. gives a rats ass about you or me as an individual, but they do care about the the general population; because that is America. Where am I going with this? By you not wearing a helmet and getting your head busted open by some out of control snow boarder hitting you from behind with his braces filled mouth, you are now enroaching on mine and everyone elses time on that hill. As you kneel on the floor in a daze, blood gushing from the back of your head, you will be surrounded by paramedics, mountain patrol, snowmobiles, etc. That will in turn slow everyone uphill from you, use up resources (paramedics will be tending to your helmet-less head rather than the guy with the ruptured ACL on the north face), thus ruining a good run for hundreds of people for enough of a period of time, that yes, it does make a difference.

Also, dont you think that having more accidents where an injury is sustained increases the overhead and in turn raises lift prices? Of course it does. Dont be so quick to shoot down the system, I hate being told what to do (to a fault, believe me!) but when you look at it in the way I have illustrated, you can easily see that your "freedom" can actually take away from that of many others.

I would like to add that in life as you know there are no gaurantees other than that tomorrow is a new day and you will eventually die. Life's job is to turn the odds in our favor to survive the longest while living it to the fullest, every bit that gives you more favorable odds, is money in the bank.
Interesting how the "victim" in your scenario (the one hit from behind) is painted as the "villain" for not wearing a helmet and spoiling your pristine white snow with his stupid blood. And I suppose the skier or boarder who caused the accident should be excused because "accidents happen"????????????????????????????: : : : :
post #138 of 356
I lurves my helmet. Nasty tree branches have much less effect on my skull.
post #139 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute View Post
Nasty tree branches have much less effect on my skull.
LOL, I find that I "lead with my head" more in the woods now that I have a helmet. Hmmm...could explain a lot. :
post #140 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stache View Post
Interesting how the "victim" in your scenario (the one hit from behind) is painted as the "villain" for not wearing a helmet and spoiling your pristine white snow with his stupid blood. And I suppose the skier or boarder who caused the accident should be excused because "accidents happen"????????????????????????????: : : : :
We were all beginners at some point, that you cannot avoid.
post #141 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I think that its more like Plake's mohawk, but uh...
Oh, man. I don't believe I went there. Say a guy with a mohawk skiing without a hat, the sides of his head were red as beets.
post #142 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
I used to feel the exact same way as you, I even used to think that way about seatbelts, car inspections, drugs, speeding...basically everything. But then one day I came upon a realization as I sat in traffic 2hrs on a hot summer day and finally rolled upto the reason why I was forced to lose 2hrs of my life that I will never recover....a broken down car that looked like a jalopy; lack of maintenance on the owners part. You see the rules, laws, guidelines, are there not because we or the govt. gives a rats ass about you or me as an individual, but they do care about the the general population; because that is America. Where am I going with this? By you not wearing a helmet and getting your head busted open by some out of control snow boarder hitting you from behind with his braces filled mouth, you are now enroaching on mine and everyone elses time on that hill. As you kneel on the floor in a daze, blood gushing from the back of your head, you will be surrounded by paramedics, mountain patrol, snowmobiles, etc. That will in turn slow everyone uphill from you, use up resources (paramedics will be tending to your helmet-less head rather than the guy with the ruptured ACL on the north face), thus ruining a good run for hundreds of people for enough of a period of time, that yes, it does make a difference.

Also, dont you think that having more accidents where an injury is sustained increases the overhead and in turn raises lift prices? Of course it does. Dont be so quick to shoot down the system, I hate being told what to do (to a fault, believe me!) but when you look at it in the way I have illustrated, you can easily see that your "freedom" can actually take away from that of many others.

I would like to add that in life as you know there are no gaurantees other than that tomorrow is a new day and you will eventually die. Life's job is to turn the odds in our favor to survive the longest while living it to the fullest, every bit that gives you more favorable odds, is money in the bank.
H'mm Queens, NY huh. Well that explains a lot. I would be interested in your views on safety and risk taking in the Huck and Jump Thread.
post #143 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
As I routinely ski over 70mph and rarely ski below 50mph accept for slow zones I dont think they would help much. For beginners maybe they would help but I have crashed at over 90mph at Stowe and had no injury.
uh huh:
post #144 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskills View Post
H'mm Queens, NY huh. Well that explains a lot. I would be interested in your views on safety and risk taking in the Huck and Jump Thread.
I dont know what was meant by that comment, but for what its worth, I neither huck nor jump, at least not intentionally, and as such, feel that I have no place in adding anything to that thread.
post #145 of 356
Those speeds are impressive and amazing. Just curious, how do you know you are going that fast? I've been clocked by radar gun in Masters Super-G at 62mph and at that speed the wind sounds like a hurricane as the trees fly by. I would never attempt such speeds outside of a closed course, for everyone's safety. Where do you ski that fast?
post #146 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJared View Post
So 20-30 years ago hardly anybody wore condoms.
Unless the mountains have STD's, I don't think you'll need a condom for your head.
The mountains are the same as they were 10-20-30 years ago. Only peoples ego's have gotten bigger.
post #147 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Unless the mountains have STD's, I don't think you'll need a condom for your head.
The mountains are the same as they were 10-20-30 years ago. Only peoples ego's have gotten bigger.
Actually the mountains are safer now.
post #148 of 356
I ski with a buddy who refuses to wear a helmet. When I ask him why he doesn't he replies "because I never have" and laughs. It's a personal choice of course but you will never find me or my loved ones on the mountain without one. If you choose to ski without one that's fine. I'll still respect your choice and ski with you. Just try not to get hurt and make me have to scoop your crushed melon off the snow!
post #149 of 356

The Hidden Danger of Wearing a Helmet

The Hidden Danger of Wearing a Helmet. You say what is dangerous about wearing a helmet? How could a helmet be dangerous? Read this TIME article on The Hidden Danger of Seat Belts.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...0.html?cnn=yes

To drive the point home. Pun intended.

For the sake of argument, offers Adams, imagine how it might affect the behavior of drivers if a sharp stake were mounted in the middle of the steering wheel? Or if the bumper were packed with explosives. Perverse, yes, but it certainly provides a vivid example of how a perception of risk could modify behavior.

Random radar samples at multiple ski areas have shown that people wearing helmets ski faster. Given this and the fact that kinetic energy increases in a non-linear scale with increased speed, are you REALLY any safer wearing a helmet with that huge increase in kinetic energy?
post #150 of 356
'Risk compensation'. If I'm not mistaken this is the first mention of that idea in this five page long thread. Usually it comes up sooner in a helmet discussion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › helmets? yay or nay?