New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hostels in Banff or LL

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Putting together a last minute Solo trip to LL. Anybody have any experiences with the hostels in that area. Flying into Calgary 11/25 and staying till 11/28.
post #2 of 22
hotels and life ticket deals will be cheaper then a hostel and ticket.

I'd stay in banff, bit more going on then LL.

banff does have a hostel, both a international one up the hill (2km from town) and "same sun", but again call around for some package deals with lift, acc'm and transport.
post #3 of 22
The hostel at Lake Louise is one of the best to be found anywhere. If you want to stay at L.L., and hosteling is your gig, then you can't go wrong. They even have decent food service there, but if you want spoil to yourself with a meal at the higher end of the scale, the Post Hotel (one of the top boutique hotels in the world) is a short walk away www.posthotel.com/posthotel/about/index.html.

My only caveat is that there are two weeks of World Cup races going on around the time of your trip, so cross your fingers as far as space goes at the Hostel.
post #4 of 22
There is also the Y Mountain Lodge (YWCA) in Banff, and the Castle Mtn. Hostel (IH) about half way between Banff and Lake Louise. Castle Mtn. is cheapest of the bunch (including Samesun, Banff IH, and the Lake Louise IH/Alpine Club) but you need a car. Do you want rustic or glitz? And how are you getting to the hills?
post #5 of 22
hostel in LL is $40+, plus lift

I bet a hotel in banff is less...
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjantzie View Post
There is also the Y Mountain Lodge (YWCA) in Banff, and the Castle Mtn. Hostel (IH) about half way between Banff and Lake Louise. Castle Mtn. is cheapest of the bunch (including Samesun, Banff IH, and the Lake Louise IH/Alpine Club) but you need a car. Do you want rustic or glitz? And how are you getting to the hills?
I'll have a rental, so I won't have a problem staying in Banff. I'm no frills, beer and a bed is all I need.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
hotels and life ticket deals will be cheaper then a hostel and ticket.

I'd stay in banff, bit more going on then LL.

banff does have a hostel, both a international one up the hill (2km from town) and "same sun", but again call around for some package deals with lift, acc'm and transport.
i get discounted lift tickets at LL thru work, so lift ticket won't be a problem.

I'll look around for hotel deals. I like the hostel experience when I'm traveling Solo. Good way to meet up with other riders.

Thanks for the suggestion
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxsnbder View Post
I'll have a rental, so I won't have a problem staying in Banff. I'm no frills, beer and a bed is all I need.
it's banff stay out late, bivouc some place that will dry your boots, the locals have floor spacebe prepared pack light and enjoy the early evening hours in some dank little corner of townsipping mahrgahritas. Hudson's baytrading co. is there and might barter you a blanket if the need arises.
Mt. standish I beleive will invite you with some natural pipe type trails and the terminus of the crooked gondola Sushineor check the lift serviced off of your 1:00 orientation for that choice runs. <<<<<Pardon me for its long overdue to remind me that a revisit is soon a possibility >>>>to be more clear on the right lift eric Give us plums up from your vantage : point. eric
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.varmit View Post
it's banff stay out late, bivouc some place that will dry your boots, the locals have floor spacebe prepared pack light and enjoy the early evening hours in some dank little corner of townsipping mahrgahritas. Hudson's baytrading co. is there and might barter you a blanket if the need arises.
Mt. standish I beleive will invite you with some natural pipe type trails and the terminus of the crooked gondola Sushineor check the lift serviced off of your 1:00 orientation for that choice runs. <<<<<Pardon me for its long overdue to remind me that a revisit is soon a possibility >>>>to be more clear on the right lift eric Give us plums up from your vantage : point. eric
Translation: Enjoy

Thanks will do
post #10 of 22
si, de nada.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
hostel in LL is $40+, plus lift

I bet a hotel in banff is less...
I doubt you can find anything in Banff for under $150/night these days, during low season in one of the 'shabbier' places. Even third tier motels in Canmore are over a 'hun.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.varmit View Post
Hudson's baytrading co. is there and might barter you a blanket if the need arises.
Good one.... they'll barter all right. Trade them $300 and they'll give you a blanket.
post #13 of 22

Test drive Maplus at Lake Louise

RacerRick of Tools4Boards will be at the finish area of the Men's Downhill this weekend in the Maplus tent if anyone wants to try some liquid Universal.

He said it was -20°C this AM....brrrrrr!
post #14 of 22
I've stayed at the Red Carpet Lodge (Inn?) before, for less than $100/night. It was clean, quiet, and perfectly satisfactory. It didn't include lift tickets, though.

You might consider the Sunshine Inn. Check and see if they have any deals going: I've seen advertisements for $99/night, lift tickets included.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
He said it was -20°C this AM....brrrrrr!
Major bummer. It was a perfect ski day yesterday; -1°C and lots of new snow, but a cold snap blew in last night and the next five days are going to be between -15°C and -20°C. No fun for the boys in their D.H. suits :

Apparently Bode is already whining about his training runs and dodging the press. :
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
I doubt you can find anything in Banff for under $150/night these days, during low season in one of the 'shabbier' places. Even third tier motels in Canmore are over a 'hun.
Maybe i have a different opinion on "shabby" but lots of hotels in Banff for cheaper than 150$ thats for sure,, try bumpers or voyageur or red carpet.. Also there are lots of hotels in Canmore for easily under a hundred bucks try the drake,, rocky mountain ski lodge or rundle mountain lodge
post #17 of 22

holidays

you are going near christmas could indicate a change o fplans find a sweet girl to bring for the carousing go all out, sweep her away and eventually you have some one to chaise you down the slopes. The romance of L.Louise could have given me another sibling except we camped out, and the days are too long at that time of year. The little mexican joint might decide things as to whether to keep her, back in Banff.
Don't forget that enroute from Calgary you will be entering a park to get to Banff drive carefully notice all campsites some w/or without comfort facilities and follow the posted limits. Where did you say that you were flying out of? eav.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzee53 View Post
Maybe i have a different opinion on "shabby" but lots of hotels in Banff for cheaper than 150$ thats for sure,, try bumpers or voyageur or red carpet.. Also there are lots of hotels in Canmore for easily under a hundred bucks try the drake,, rocky mountain ski lodge or rundle mountain lodge
You're probably right, given the time of year. This is the lowest of the low season, as far as rates go (for at least another 2-3 weeks), and all the places you mention are third tier accomodation, so under a hundred is doable. During the summer high season, though, kiss a C-note goodbye for each night. Last summer I booked some clients into the Canmore Marriott (not great by any means, and in bad need of a reno.) and it was $175 a night for a studio. The large units were over $300, and it's not even a good hotel.
post #19 of 22
I have stayed in the HI Hostels in both Banff and Lake Louise. Both of them were pretty nice, as far as hostels go. Last time I stayed there, it was about $25/night.

http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/en/banffh...rtcode=2.16.22
http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/en/lakelo...?sortcode=2.22
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.varmit View Post
you are going near christmas could indicate a change o fplans find a sweet girl to bring for the carousing go all out, sweep her away and eventually you have some one to chaise you down the slopes. The romance of L.Louise could have given me another sibling except we camped out, and the days are too long at that time of year. The little mexican joint might decide things as to whether to keep her, back in Banff.
Don't forget that enroute from Calgary you will be entering a park to get to Banff drive carefully notice all campsites some w/or without comfort facilities and follow the posted limits. Where did you say that you were flying out of? eav.
Thanks for the driving tip. I remember someone giving me that same info the last time I was out there 03/03. I'm flying out of YYC 11/28.

I did book a bed at the samesun.
http://samesun.com/destinations/banff/

Couldn't get a bed for 11/25 so i'm staying at the Aspen Lodge Sat. night.
http://www.banffaspenlodge.com/
Looking forward to a beer at the rail jam tomorrow. And the good early season snow conditions Sunday morning.
post #21 of 22
It's unfortunate, your timing is going to overlap a record breaking cold snap. Temps are usually around the freezing point this time of year, but the forecast is for the mid -20's C for the next five days after which it will climb closer to normal. Bring the warmest gear you have. Brrrrrrr.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
It's unfortunate, your timing is going to overlap a record breaking cold snap. Temps are usually around the freezing point this time of year, but the forecast is for the mid -20's C for the next five days after which it will climb closer to normal. Bring the warmest gear you have. Brrrrrrr.
yep, it was a tad cold. On a positive note no one was on the mountain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel