EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Lighter Rig... Any opinions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lighter Rig... Any opinions?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
First off... wow this is a great place!
It's so hard to get past all the marketing that is online. It really is refreshing to see folks with a common interest sharing their experiences. Without all the forum flame wars.

Now I'm curious about some opinions about my setup. While I really like somethings about my 174cm '03/'04 K2 Recon's. I feel that they are kinda heavy and especially swing heavy. I see that new models have drilled out cores to eliminate some of those issues. So now that leaves me feeling like my initial impressions are correct. I was on Dynastar 68's at the time and really liked them. Then the mid-fat craze set in and I demoed and need a pair of XP's at the end of '03 well then they became the Recon and that's where I am. So, have others found the Recons to be a tad heavy or is it my imagination?

So now I'm toying with the idea of shopping around for a newer lighter pair.
I'm 5'7 185. Try to get in at least 20-25 days. Love bumps, love to dip into the trees and ski in CO, about a level 7-8 (if 9-10 is perfect) not really into hucking myself off of anything. So I'm looking for any suggestions for a light responsive snappy ski that will handle GREAT in the bumps and float on the days with fresh powder too. But... I don't want to strap on big heavy boards. I think that's where I'm at now with the Recons and I know that they're not really fats at all in todays waist lines.

Right now I've only considered switching back to Dynastar.
1. 8000
2. Trouble Maker

But I'm wide open for other considerations.

Thanks!!!
Tito
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
So I'm looking for any suggestions for a light responsive snappy ski that will handle GREAT in the bumps and float on the days with fresh powder too.
those are two hard wishes to reconcile, once a ski gets wide enough to float you then their width starts to become a problem in the bumps. I would not go with any thing over 100mm if you really like skiing the bumps. Mojo 90 would be my recomendation for you EDIT: What am I talking about? get a 1080 they'd be great for you
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
those are two hard wishes to reconcile, once a ski gets wide enough to float you then their width starts to become a problem in the bumps. I would not go with any thing over 100mm if you really like skiing the bumps. Mojo 90 would be my recomendation for you EDIT: What am I talking about? get a 1080 they'd be great for you
I was afraid of that... Are the 1080's light and responsive?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
I was afraid of that... Are the 1080's light and responsive?
yes foam core very light and poppy a fun ski. They make them in several different shapes as well as sizes. For you id recomend the Foil

http://www.untracked.com/p1139c51b39...de_skis.h tml

or the thruster

http://www.untracked.com/p1220c51b39...de_skis.ht ml

ignore all the flippy spinny stuff. They are great all mountain skis.
post #5 of 16
It sounds like you're a candidate for the Atomic "Sugar" freeride line - just pick the amount of float vs. sidecut you want and demo that model (Sweet, Snoop, Daddy).
post #6 of 16
The new Dynastars are anything but light. I agree w/ Noodler, one of the Daddy line. The Sweet is a 80mm waisted lightweight and readily available on Ebay for 399 shipped.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
The new Dynastars are anything but light. I agree w/ Noodler, one of the Daddy line. The Sweet is a 80mm waisted lightweight and readily available on Ebay for 399 shipped.

Oh no! Dynastars have gotten heavy? I remembered my Intuitiv68's to be so light and nimble. Have you ever skied the Recons? Did you think that the Dynastars were just as heavy?
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
It sounds like you're a candidate for the Atomic "Sugar" freeride line - just pick the amount of float vs. sidecut you want and demo that model (Sweet, Snoop, Daddy).
Oops, I screwed that one up. Please swap "Sugar" for "Daddy" in my recommendation. It should be one of the "Daddy" Atomics.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
The new Dynastars are anything but light. I agree w/ Noodler, one of the Daddy line. The Sweet is a 80mm waisted lightweight and readily available on Ebay for 399 shipped.
I would say that my Legend 8000's (which he mentioned as a posibility) are a pretty light ski! Both in feeling and in actual weight.

You're right, Ski-cross 10's or something are much more robust and heavy though.

8000's are 79 at the waist, great in the trees and probably fine in the bumps (I wouldn't know, I avoid them like the plague), nice & light and while not a superfat pow ski, is more than capable in some fresh.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Okay I'll try this again.

I'm currently on K2 Recons 174's (75MM the older versions). I'm 5'7'' 180lbs. I love them on the groomers and crud but have a lot of trouble what I call wrestling them in the bumps and trees. To me they are a very heavy ski just hanging on your feet and swing weight.

Are they too long for me? Or are they too heavy? For bumps and trees? Maybe both? I'm not a hard charging skier anymore. I like taking my time getting down difficult terrain.

Anyways... I'm wondering what ski you guys might recommend me to demo for hitting the bumps and trees that is lighter and more responsive that can also do a couple of laps when the snow ain't so great.

Thanks!!!
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
Okay I'll try this again.

I'm currently on K2 Recons 174's (75MM the older versions). I'm 5'7'' 180lbs. I love them on the groomers and crud but have a lot of trouble what I call wrestling them in the bumps and trees. To me they are a very heavy ski just hanging on your feet and swing weight.

Are they too long for me? Or are they too heavy? For bumps and trees? Maybe both? I'm not a hard charging skier anymore. I like taking my time getting down difficult terrain.

Anyways... I'm wondering what ski you guys might recommend me to demo for hitting the bumps and trees that is lighter and more responsive that can also do a couple of laps when the snow ain't so great.

Thanks!!!
I think it is your size, not the skis. They might be a size too big for you. Aslo what are the dimensions. you say a 75 waist, but, what is the tip and tail? Try a size down in a 167 or so. I am skiing a 76 waisted ski and it is plenty quick enough for me in the bumps and trees. If you are feeling that a ski is heavy and cumbersome trying to turn it...where is your weight? is it back?
post #12 of 16
Single ski weight 165/167 cm with typical binding set up.

Recon w/M1 12.0..................7 lbs 10 oz.
Legend 8K w/Look PX 12........6 lbs 6 oz.

SJ
post #13 of 16
SJ...using the shop's mail scale?!...
post #14 of 16
I ski a pair of Head monster 77's and they are heavy when carrying, but I do not feel it when skiing (correctly that is).
Foam core skis are much lighter. I have owned two pairs and neither held up for very long. After 30 days they were much softer and I am close to your size. So I would gladly put up with a slightly heavier ski for longer life.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
SJ...using the shop's mail scale?!...


SJ
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Philbug,

Sorry they're: I thought that they were 75 in the waist...oops
115
78
105
18 radius
w/ Look P10
- also I put a tape to them and they actually measure 178.
I Rode a pair of Atomic 165's one year and they were too short so I bumped up to the only size K2 offered which was the 174.

Now when I'm talking about heft I talking I've never had a ski that heavy on my boot. I can really feel it when I'm riding up on the lift. I had a pair of great Dynastar 68's and they were what felt light but not enough float. For the life of me I can't remember if they were 168 or 172?

Lately my weight is all around my belly... no really I was raised on the drive the boot technique so I hope that most of my weight in centered or a bit forward but who knows?

I'm looking to demo 8000 Legend's & Trouble Makers and I've read quite a bit here on the forum about the Scott Aztec Pro.

Thanks everyone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Lighter Rig... Any opinions?