New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are my used skis dead?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi everybody, I bought a pair of garage sale skiis for their bindings, then decided that I may want to just use them as they are, they're around 10 year old (I think) K2 GS skiis used recreationally (I believe) 190's but they only have maybe 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch of camber left.... I've never used anything longer than 170's before, I'm 5'11" so I'm tall enough to handle them I think, just afraid they're dead...

I didn't really ask much about them because I wasn't originally gonna use them, I just wanted a relatively newer set of bindings than the ones I had previously(nice late 70's early 80's all metal vintage jobs, that I didn't completely trust)

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #2 of 13
So, what binding?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Tyrolia CarveFlex 6, the old ones don't have a name on them (anymore? can't tell if there were stickers at one point...) but they don't have DIN settings, just a window with a plus and minus on opposite sides, most anything would have been a step up...
post #4 of 13
Chances are the bindings are no longer reliable or safe.

Shape skis of that vintage did not always have a lot of camber, so what you see may in fact be normal. It would be good to learn more about the skis. But being 190cm, I suspect they may be old-school straight skis and not shape skis.
post #5 of 13
Sounds like a K2 4 .... red white & blue ???

I'd worry about delamination and you probably won't be able to get the bindings set/checked.

Rock skis?
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Yeah they're red white and blue, straight skis with a "US Alpine Pool" sticker on them.

I set the bindings for a 6 din and could wrench the boot out of the bindings by smaking the heel and tow in opposite directions, I know it's not an awfully thorough check but I'm fairly comfortable with them, they're clean and mechanically sound as far I can tell
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1219 View Post
Yeah they're red white and blue, straight skis with a "US Alpine Pool" sticker on them.l
K2 715's?
post #8 of 13
How much did you pay for them?
post #9 of 13
Camber means nothing, it is torsional rigidity that matters. Once it is shot, the ski is toast. A few turns on ice will tell you,
post #10 of 13
tim1219, what is the fall-back plan? The skis are extremely outdated, as are the bindings. What kind of skiing do you want to do? My guess is this equipment is something many of us used many years ago and have retired. That explains the garage sale. Tell us your expectations and what you need out of equipment and this conversation will be more meaningful. If you intend for these to be your sole pair of skis, I'd suggest renting instead. I'm really scared to ask what you use for boots. :
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1219 View Post
Hi everybody, I bought a pair of garage sale skiis for their bindings, then decided that I may want to just use them as they are, they're around 10 year old (I think) K2 GS skiis used recreationally (I believe) 190's but they only have maybe 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch of camber left.... I've never used anything longer than 170's before, I'm 5'11" so I'm tall enough to handle them I think, just afraid they're dead...

I didn't really ask much about them because I wasn't originally gonna use them, I just wanted a relatively newer set of bindings than the ones I had previously(nice late 70's early 80's all metal vintage jobs, that I didn't completely trust)

Thanks in advance for the help!
You're not doing yourself any favours skiing on those skis or bindings.
You might have imporved on your old bindings and you might have saved a lot of money in relation to current bindings, but why take the risk??
Some current bindings will be much safer - and some decent skis will be much more fun.
You can get great deals on both - just ask the folks here how and where (use the search function up top first)
post #12 of 13
10yrs old.....use them as a wall decoration in your ski tuning room.

You can get modern skis with bindings for $100 or less on ebay, for a little more they can even be new.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Camber means nothing, it is torsional rigidity that matters. Once it is shot, the ski is toast. A few turns on ice will tell you,
Really. Volants had hardly any camber, yet had extreme torsional rigidity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion