EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Avalanche beacon on your dog?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Avalanche beacon on your dog?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Would you like to have an avalanche transmitter on your dog?

Would you put one on that was on the same frequency (457 khz) as is used for human transceivers?
post #2 of 22
Would you like to have an avalanche beacon on your dog?
Choose 1
yes 33% (2)
Would you put a 457 khz transmitter (same as people) on your dog?
Choose 1
yes 33% (2)


I see 2 people who I never plan to go backcountry skiing with! I love my dog, he is my best friend, but I'd be pretty upset if I dug out my dog instead of a person. Sorry, but human life is more valuable than a dogs.
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by AltaSkier:
Would you like to have an avalanche beacon on your dog?
Choose 1
yes 33% (2)
Would you put a 457 khz transmitter (same as people) on your dog?
Choose 1
yes 33% (2)


I see 2 people who I never plan to go backcountry skiing with! I love my dog, he is my best friend, but I'd be pretty upset if I dug out my dog instead of a person. Sorry, but human life is more valuable than a dogs.
Damn straight Alta!!!

Mark
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by AltaSkier:


Sorry, but human life is more valuable than a dogs.
Kinda depends on the human.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Kima:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AltaSkier:


Sorry, but human life is more valuable than a dogs.
Kinda depends on the human. </font>[/quote]Sorta agree on that. Like if it was a serial killer or something like that. But I usually ski with friends who I value, and trust, especially in the bc. Whew, last time I went skiing with a serial killer it almost killed me!
post #6 of 22
'vert,

You might want to educate people a little more on the issues surrounding the second question before submitting the poll.

Did the 3 people (thus far) who voted yes to question 2 realize that this scenario will screw with a successful hasty search of the humans first and the doggies second?

The obvious solution is to have the doggies on a different frequency than the humans.

Dogs can't switch their beacons from send to receive like people must do if there is a slide that they're not caught in.

I think there's a product that snow mobilers use to find their sleds that operates on a different frequency.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
I think there's a product that snow mobilers use to find their sleds that operates on a different frequency
Do the snowmobilers go after their sleds or the people first?
post #8 of 22
Why not buy an Avalung for the dog?
The beacon is fine, but I have still not been able to teach my dog to use a probe.
post #9 of 22


I need one so I know when the cats are knocking all the books off the shelf! WOOF!
post #10 of 22
There at least used to be an Ortovox product called "ski mouse" that was attached to a ski and you could search your skis with a modified tranceiver (higher price). Sizewise it could be attached to dog's collar (not chihuahua...). Don't know if such product still exists though, as this was before digital tranceiver era (Ortovox F1, etc).
post #11 of 22

Spencer at 14,265 ft, summit of Quandary Peak; no snow, didn't bring his beacon.
post #12 of 22
Dp, nice pic . On the subject of beacons anybody looking for a pet transmitter check out www.mec.ca , they have a beacon for pets or gear that costs $100 Can. called the snowbug . This little transmitter is for the dogs .......on the other side of the coin for cats .....well here in Alberta we just feed em to the coyotes.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
The snowbug is on the old 2.275 transceiver freq. However, it is also advertised for putting on your snowmachine, which many people who own $5,000+ machines are doing, and for you backpack, skis, your tent at base camp, and whatever you want. Does anyone feel there would be an issue with putting the same device on your dog, where any of these other items might be buried with your dog in a slide and keep you from finding your pet quickly?
post #14 of 22
I don't put a beacon on my dog, but I do put bacon on me in the hopes that it will help my dog to dig me out. But I am afraid that if I have the bacon in my pack or my pocket my dog would retrieve the bacon and then become preoccupied with his salty, fatty treat -- we all know that feeling! -- leaving me partially buried with a restricted airway. So I hold the bacon in my mouth. But it's too yummy and tempting to just keep it there, so I eat it, and then get another strip. This means I'm continually eating bacon in the BC for safety's sake while my dog yips and yaps and runs circles around me, begging and whining. For some reason I never get very far, but I'm confident it may save my life someday.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Ugli Pupferknick:
I don't put a beacon on my dog, but I do put bacon on me in the hopes that it will help my dog to dig me out. But I am afraid that if I have the bacon in my pack or my pocket my dog would retrieve the bacon and then become preoccupied with his salty, fatty treat -- we all know that feeling! -- leaving me partially buried with a restricted airway. So I hold the bacon in my mouth. But it's too yummy and tempting to just keep it there, so I eat it, and then get another strip. This means I'm continually eating bacon in the BC for safety's sake while my dog yips and yaps and runs circles around me, begging and whining. For some reason I never get very far, but I'm confident it may save my life someday.
That was one of the funniest things I've read in a bit! Thanks!
post #16 of 22
My dog keeps kosher- won't go for bacon.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by dp:
My dog keeps kosher- won't go for bacon.
Is your dog circumsized? :
post #18 of 22
unfortunately for him, the operation was a bit more extreme than just circumcision! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
post #19 of 22
It just keeps getting better.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by AltaSkier:
I see 2 people who I never plan to go backcountry skiing with! I love my dog, he is my best friend, but I'd be pretty upset if I dug out my dog instead of a person. Sorry, but human life is more valuable than a dogs.
This is one of those trick questions. It depends on the dog. No doubt about it the dog goes on its own frequency. But if the dog is one those nationaly ranked search and rescue dogs that can find a needle in a hay stack at the blink of eye, find the dog first and then have the dog find your friends.
post #21 of 22
I had a good dog once, he would go get his own food , open the door and fetch beer. Then I started dating a gal that thought this was abuse of animals and she started to open the food for the dog , next thing you know he wouldn't fetch beer anymore and wouldn't chase a cat .......funny how a woman can come between friends.
post #22 of 22
If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can overlook it when those you love take it out on you when, though no fault of yours, something goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him/her,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can honestly say that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, religion, gender preference, or politics,

THEN, you have ALMOST reached the same level of development as your dog.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Avalanche beacon on your dog?