New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sizing new Rossi B3's

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have been skiing on some old Olin Apex skis 185cm for like 8 years and it's time to move on. I am 5'10" about 170 lbs. I'm used to the long ski and am aggressive, I used to rent shaped skis before purchasing the Olin's.

I need to choose between 168's and 176's, as these are the only two sizes in stock at the store I am buying from. I want an aggressive ski but don't want to screw myself when it comes to bumps.

Any recommendations, help and input would sure be appreciated!!

Thanks!
post #2 of 18
Strongly recommend 176 for your size based on my experience (I've been skiing these skis for 2 years).
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviljunky View Post
Strongly recommend 176 for your size based on my experience (I've been skiing these skis for 2 years).

although I think that ski is "junk" if you are buying for your size go with the 176. your height will make the smaller ski too small.
post #4 of 18
I'm on a pair of 176's and they're pretty solid at that length. I'm 6', 180 lbs. and these are the shortest skis I've ever owned, going back to when I started skiing at the age of 10. lloyd braun apparently doesn't think much of them but I really like them. They're a solid all-conditions ski that're stable at speed on firmer snow yet I use them for heli-skiing in B.C. as well as resort skiing and really like them in crud too. For your size, go with the 176.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
lloyd braun apparently doesn't think much of them but I really like them.
I really don't.

I skied that ski on a heli trip for two days. I thought the shovel was "flappy" in anything but soft powder. The ski is too forgiving in the shovel and the core seems dead. Just my thoughts. I moved to a Mantra and was much happier!
post #6 of 18
I also like the B3's very much. 176 sounds right for you. It was fine in the bumps, but not my bump ski by any means. I'm 5'10" and 155, about your size. The 168 will probably be too short. I don't think you'll notice that much difference in the bumps and the 176 should be more stable for you in the crud, powder, off piste.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
although I think that ski is "junk" if you are buying for your size go with the 176. your height will make the smaller ski too small.
Versus telling someone who is perhaps excited about their choice of ski that it is “junk”, exercise some intellectual muscle and explain yourself. Why even recommend a size? :

I'm with GoldMember and bumpdad regarding the B3 and suggest you go with the 176.

Good Skiing!
post #8 of 18
I tried a ton of skis the past couple seasons including the Mantra and ended up with a pair of 176cm B3s. I have no problem with that length in the bumps but I should note that we don't get super-tight short bumps in Montana. I'm 5' 11", 180#. I would recommend the 176cm for you.

PS - I found the forgiving tip and 'dead' center to be advantages. This ski does it all including bumps and crud piles without having to fight it.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
Versus telling someone who is perhaps excited about their choice of ski that it is “junk”, exercise some intellectual muscle and explain yourself. Why even recommend a size? :

I'm with GoldMember and bumpdad regarding the B3 and suggest you go with the 176.

Good Skiing!
I was giving my opinion and sorry for not sugar coating my comments, but that is the feeling I have about the ski. Lots of folks love that ski, I just don't know why. Maybe my pair was bunk, but I think there are many better options out there. And why not give a recommondation on the size.? I have skied it, he is 5"10 it is a no brainer on the length choices he gave!
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
PS - I found the forgiving tip and 'dead' center to be advantages. This ski does it all including bumps and crud piles without having to fight it.
maybe my pair wasn't bunk...........seems that is how the ski works!
post #11 of 18
Was the ski bunk or were the conditions not suited to the ski? You used them Heli skiing. Why not a much bigger ski for your Heli trip? I don't really think the B3 is a true powder ski, although it will do fine for me in 12-18 inches. Only 83 mm underfoot.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
I was giving my opinion and sorry for not sugar coating my comments, but that is the feeling I have about the ski. Lots of folks love that ski, I just don't know why. Maybe my pair was bunk, but I think there are many better options out there. And why not give a recommondation on the size.? I have skied it, he is 5"10 it is a no brainer on the length choices he gave!
How long ago did you ski them? If it was two years ago, different ski. I didn't like those either. Last year's ski is quite a bit different from the year before. This year is the same as last year. I use them as a one-ski quiver. If they were the current model and you don't like them, that's okay by me. Different strokes for different folks and all....
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdad View Post
Was the ski bunk or were the conditions not suited to the ski? You used them Heli skiing. Why not a much bigger ski for your Heli trip? I don't really think the B3 is a true powder ski, although it will do fine for me in 12-18 inches. Only 83 mm underfoot.
heliskiing covers all conditions except for groom, I would say it I put it through its paces!

FYI heli is not just alpine fresh turns like you see in the movies or brouchures. Lots of tight trees, wind scour, deep, ice, etc.......
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
...FYI heli is not just alpine fresh turns like you see in the movies or brouchures. Lots of tight trees, wind scour, deep, ice, etc.......
LB, If they are Heli dropping you off in crap other than the pristine white fluff of movies…get your money back & demand movie snow!!!!
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
LB, If they are Heli dropping you off in crap other than the pristine white fluff of movies…get your money back & demand movie snow!!!!

FKNA right! I want my money back..........all of it! That was a sorry ass 200K I skied!
post #16 of 18
176 fo'sheezy.

I'm 5'11" 190 on a bad day, 175 when i get fit and trim (was roughly 180-185 last season). I rode the B3 in a 176 and loved it on a light snow day with slow dropping fresh flakes and about a boot sole/ankle's worth of fresh. Very nimble, responsive ski.

I ended up on Volkl Mantras instead, though. You might want to look into those as an alternative.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
LB, If they are Heli dropping you off in crap other than the pristine white fluff of movies…get your money back & demand movie snow!!!!
Heh....Where they drop you usually isn't a problem, except for maybe the first 100 feet or so if it's on a wind scoured ridge. Where the problem is is where they pick you up. I've gone through some pretty manky stuff to get back to the heli on a pick up.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
Heh....Where they drop you usually isn't a problem, except for maybe the first 100 feet or so if it's on a wind scoured ridge. Where the problem is is where they pick you up. I've gone through some pretty manky stuff to get back to the heli on a pick up.
yes, skiing out of natural drainages to the valley floor waiting for pick up was not pretty!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion