EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot heaters. Need a suggestion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boot heaters. Need a suggestion

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
for my wife...

i'd like to buy her some for her birthday (next week). Any suggestions on brand/model?

Also, if they're just junk & I'm wasting my money, tell me that, too.

Thanks!

:
post #2 of 29
They work. There's no doubt about that. They really just move your feet from unbearable to bearable though. I was wondering if they were really doing very much until I broke a mounting bracket and lost a battery. That foot was a lot colder trhan the other. I use the Hotronics and recommend them for sure. Buy the most expensive one with the biggest battery, then you won't have to be in "conserve" mode all of the time. I pretty much keep mine on 1 (out of 4) all the time because I need them to last all day. If your wife takes a starts late, takes a long lunch and calls it quits early she might be able to run the things on 2 or 3 without running out of juice and maybe she could move past bearable to comforrtable or even toasty. With all that said, you have to make sure you take all other measures for foot warmth such as drying your boots every night, etc.
post #3 of 29
My wife loves boot heaters. She has an older Therm-ic model. Here is a link to their page.
post #4 of 29
IMO, Hottronics are the way to go. My wife gets cold in July. We routinely ski Stowe and the Mt Washington area on the coldest of days and her feet are never cold. In fact, I was so impressed ,I bought a pair.

The deal is, you really don't feel the heat unless you crank them to 4 but you really don't want to use a setting where you are feeling heat. I keep mine on 2 and it wards off the build up of cold that occurs during a long day in sub zero conditions.

When ordering, specify whether or not she has custom insoles because the boot insert is different for the custom footbeds.
post #5 of 29
How many of you use Boot gloves or mylar reflective pads in combination with heaters?
post #6 of 29
Thermoflex liners are another option.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
How many of you use Boot gloves or mylar reflective pads in combination with heaters?
Do those reflective inserts actually work?
post #8 of 29
I think so: pretty easy to check just by doing one. I have them in a pair of Tritechs with that cut-away center sole and the titanium bars (read:heat sink) inside.
post #9 of 29
Tell her to take up snowboarding. Worked for my daughter.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidiver View Post
Tell her to take up snowboarding. Worked for my daughter.
At a certain temperature, skiboots and snowboard boots will get cold. Get hottronics
post #11 of 29
At the risk of being too negative about boot heaters, I don't know anybody that went out and installed them again when they got new boots. I understand now the newer batteries can be fully recharged without the decline in power the battery memory in time would allow. If this is the case , that's a giant step forward in performance and function. Boot heaters certainly work and if newer model batteries allow the batteries to be recharged and provide the length of power as they did when they are new, then by all means install the heaters. The first generation of boot heaters were compromised by the decline in output of the battery pack when it was continually recharged. My buddy had boot heaters installed in his boots and his four kids boots probably 6-7 years ago now. At the end of the year he must have accumulated a dozen or more batteries he was constantly juggling that held the most charge.

I had the Hotronics the first or second year they came out. Great when they were new, but about worthless the next year after they had been recharged a lot.
post #12 of 29
The batteries have been updated (probably several times) since you had yours. In fact there's a new battery this year.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiStarr90 View Post
At a certain temperature, skiboots and snowboard boots will get cold. Get hottronics
True, and my post was really in jest. But in our experience, the temperature at which feet get cold in snowboard boots is lower than in ski boots. In fact, my daughter's feet stayed warm all season last year, and she only boarded. (Of course, it wasn't a particularly cold year in NE.)

This probably doesn't apply to the OP, though. But I get much more time on the slopes when my kids aren't cold.
post #14 of 29
OP? whats that?
post #15 of 29
my wife loves the Hottronics I bought for her...now she loves me too!
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiStarr90 View Post
OP? whats that?
Sorry, original poster/post.
post #17 of 29
Soak her feet in a bucket full of ice and water until she cries. Repeat several times daily. One conditions oneself and one's wife to exposure to cold. Buying foot warmers is wasting money and decreases her tolerance of clod.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Soak her feet in a bucket full of ice and water until she cries. Repeat several times daily. One conditions oneself and one's wife to exposure to cold. Buying foot warmers is wasting money and decreases her tolerance of clod.
How apropos. Is she still with you?
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoweguy View Post
IMO, Hottronics are the way to go. My wife gets cold in July. We routinely ski Stowe and the Mt Washington area on the coldest of days and her feet are never cold. In fact, I was so impressed ,I bought a pair.

The deal is, you really don't feel the heat unless you crank them to 4 but you really don't want to use a setting where you are feeling heat. I keep mine on 2 and it wards off the build up of cold that occurs during a long day in sub zero conditions.
The real trick is to turn them on in the lodge while your feet are still warm. They are not heaters, but heat maintainers. Once you're feet are cold, the Hotronics or Thermics will never catch up.

Quote:
When ordering, specify whether or not she has custom insoles because the boot insert is different for the custom footbeds.
yes, they come in 2 models, 1 attaches to your footbeds/orthotics, and the other one is already built into a footbed, and replaces the factory footbed.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
How apropos. Is she still with you?
Haha, I wish I had caught that slip. Subconscious error?

No, she's long gone... She adjusted to cold but not clod.
post #21 of 29
My Atomic C:11 boots came with the Thermic foot bed in place. I would never say they keep my feet toasty, but they do keep them from getting frozen. I went with the 4AA battery pack as opposed to the rechargeable pack – the logic being that I could swap out the batteries mid-day if needed, while maintaining the option of purchasing AA rechargeable batteries to save cost. I have yet to perform a mid-day swap, probably because I do keep them on the mid level setting.

Bottom line – they do work – just manage your expectations.
post #22 of 29
Full disclosure.....I'm the Hottronics rep. at Stowe. Just received my new M4plus batteries and heater pads!!

Last year I field tested the M3 and the M4 batteries for HT.
Things I liked about the new batteries:

The shape is curved a tad to match the boot.
Especially the M3 is tiny, but lasts all day.
Can re-charge at any time very much quicker than the older batteries.

I don't suffer from from cold feet to any great extent...except my heels(frost-bitten from a botched fitting while being sponsored by Salomon in France!)
However, Dobermans are cold boots, and last year was the first time I used
my heaters fairly regularly....what a difference....I could be outside for 6 or 7 hours without freezing feet.

I disagree that people do not stick with boot heaters from year-to-year, I know of no-one who has used the heaters and not been hooked.

Comprex, I have used the neoprene shells, they definitely do have an effect. The only issue I had with them is that the band of material under the boot tends to wear out quickly. But, otherwise they are quite useful.

I've also used disposable chemical packs...they work well, but are uncomfortable in properly fitted ski-boots.

Up here in the frozen North, cold feet are a subject of much discussion, many people have Rube Goldberg concoctions with multiple batteries etc...
post #23 of 29
So, the new Hotronics boot heaters can be recharged indefinitely without a decline in output with repeated recharges?

I'm sold if this is the case.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundturns View Post
At the risk of being too negative about boot heaters, I don't know anybody that went out and installed them again when they got new boots.
After a season in my Dobies and boot gloves I will be installing my old Hotronics for this season. The Dobies are miserably cold on sub 25* days and I've had enough.

The Boot Glove does really work well though and keeps the water out, so I might be using them in conjuction with the heaters.

The Thermic one looks interesting to me. Seems less bulky.
post #25 of 29
Skiswift: Can I use my old heating elements with the new Hotronics batteries? How about the charger?

I like the new design, but my old Hotronics are only 2 seasons old.
post #26 of 29
You can use your old elements, but not your charger.

roundturns - mine have been charged/discharged at least 100 times and are still going strong.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
You can use your old elements, but not your charger.

roundturns - mine have been charged/discharged at least 100 times and are still going strong.
I would question that, I seem to recall one of the battery updates, also went to a different size plug.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
I would question that, I seem to recall one of the battery updates, also went to a different size plug.
Last years elements will work with the M4 batteries. The older ones (NiCads?) will not.
post #29 of 29
I use heaters (Hot Foot) and when it is very cold, like below zero, I add the boot gloves. The gloves do work. When it is super cold, I end up getting as much a 50% more ski time before cold toes force me in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot heaters. Need a suggestion