or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicks on Sticks!

post #1 of 98
Thread Starter 
Check your testosterone at the door.
The women are making their mark and the business' are marketing them, as noted in the Denver Post

Chicks on Sticks - a force to be reconed!



But then our own report on Wine Women and Wax already told us that, now didn't it?
post #2 of 98
It's about time women skiers got the recognition we deserve, both as atheletes and as a major buying force. As the article says, 49.4 percent of all downhill skiers in 2005 were women, up 5 percentage points over 2004. There's a lot of potential there, both for ski areas and equipment manufacturers. It makes no sense to treat us an afterthought.
post #3 of 98
I have been in sales for 20+ years, there is an old saying, as off color it is, it is still true. Woman do the buying. When I was at a ski shop (and even now, sellign Subies) , I loved waiting on women, just ask questions, LISTEN, and value their opinions you had a customer for life.
post #4 of 98
Phil, you are so, so right. There's a thread over at TheSkiDiva.com about ski shop employees who treat women disrespectfully by assuming they're poor skiers just because they're women. This is not only insulting but a sure fire way to lose a sale -- not just from the woman who's there, but from her friends and family, as well, now and in the future. All in all, not a good way to do business.
post #5 of 98
Anyone with eyes, at any ski resort, at any time, could have figured out skiing isn't exactly a male-dominated sport.

That said, the percentage of female snowboarders was down a tiny bit...

...But Newsweek has an article running now with the web-headline "SUV's accelerate, hybrids languish", and even though the article reads as if that's the truth, they quote Ford as admitting SUV sales are so bad that they can't help the company, and that hybrid sales are, in fact, UP %23!

...so, the fact that there are more female skiers then before and fewer female snowboarders might mean, to Newsweek, that the number of female snowboarders is skyrocketing and there are fewer female skiers than ever.

Can't wait for them to cover the women's ski and snowboard scene.
post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
just ask questions, LISTEN, and value their opinions

Works at the bar too
post #7 of 98
Old school, everyone knows there are lies, damned lies and statistics. But the fact that ONE company (who incidentally lost 5 billion dollars last quarter) showed an increase in hybrid cars (keep in mind they sell a miniscule percentage of all hybrids) doesn't mean the entire sector did the same.

Girls are going to a whole new level in the sport now, they are hucking huge cliffs and skiing crazy lines. They need equipment that can handle it. I know a girl who busted a pair of women's specific skis, has since started skiing unisex skis and has never been happier. It is an insult to all the women shredders out there to make a subpar ski and call it women specific...



Oh yea and I think pics of chicks on sticks is inorder!
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Diva View Post
Phil, you are so, so right. There's a thread over at TheSkiDiva.com about ski shop employees who treat women disrespectfully by assuming they're poor skiers just because they're women. This is not only insulting but a sure fire way to lose a sale -- not just from the woman who's there, but from her friends and family, as well, now and in the future. All in all, not a good way to do business.
I couldn't tell from that thread ('cause I've never of the Dulles Expo Centre) but I wonder if this chauvanistic attitude is more likely to be found in cities and less likely to be found in resort towns.

I'd find it strange to hear of that in Whistler, etc, as the boys in the shops know/ski with loads of great female skiers.

...just check the forums with a younger demographic for discussions about "ski betties versus racer chicks", etc. SKill on skis definitely has an aphrodisiac quality judging by those threads.
post #9 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
Works at the bar too
Sales 101. Most of us married guys here aren't that good looking..it took a lot of "sales" to get women to marry us
post #10 of 98
In 2005, 49.4 percent of all downhill skiers were women. :

Ok I need to start skiing at that resort.

Chicks that Rip on Sticks.
post #11 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
Sales 101. Most of us married guys here aren't that good looking..it took a lot of "sales" to get women to marry us
LOL!

That is so true!
post #12 of 98
Don't say I ain't never done nuthin' for ya...


Aiko Uemura






Jennifer Heil






Ingrid Backstrom


from warren miller


post #13 of 98
Sarah Burke (including the Huck Doll that I gave to a special 3-month old girl last year)







Kim Reichhelm



Wendy Fisher



photo by ben knight


post #14 of 98
FAH-LAWW-DDD.

"since the 2001-2002 season sales up..."

How many women's specific gear was available before then? Not much.
How much since 2002? Quite a bit.

Sales are up because 'women's ski' options are up. I'll bet good money actual sales to women skiers are NOT up. They're just buying different gear.

Sorry to stick a pin in your balloon.
post #15 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
FAH-LAWW-DDD.

"since the 2001-2002 season sales up..."

How many women's specific gear was available before then? Not much.
How much since 2002? Quite a bit.

Sales are up because 'women's ski' options are up. I'll bet good money actual sales to women skiers are NOT up. They're just buying different gear.

Sorry to stick a pin in your balloon.

You make a good point...but failed to post a single picture of a female skier, therefore you get 2/10.
post #16 of 98
Thread Starter 
Whiteroom, I thought of you when I attended Wine Women and Wax. I actually though this was something you'd do. If you haven't, you should look at the thread I linked in this thread starter. It was a HUGE success!
post #17 of 98
Girls are going to a whole new level in the sport now, they are hucking huge cliffs and skiing crazy lines. They need equipment that can handle it. I know a girl who busted a pair of women's specific skis, has since started skiing unisex skis and has never been happier. It is an insult to all the women shredders out there to make a subpar ski and call it women specific...



Girls, Girls???: Most of those doing the buying are WOMEN!!!
Thank you very much.
I am an example of that article. I do the research and decide what equipment purchases are made. If my husband cared, he would, but since he doesn't, he leaves it to me. I plan all the ski vacations, some with and some without family members.
post #18 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier75 View Post
...

Girls are going to a whole new level in the sport now, they are hucking huge cliffs and skiing crazy lines...
do yu think it's a good idea for middle schoolers to be hucking cliffs?
post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeformiles(andmiles) View Post
do yu think it's a good idea for middle schoolers to be hucking cliffs?
Ask Alfonse..he makes his daughter jump waterfalls
post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
I have been in sales for 20+ years, there is an old saying, as off color it is, it is still true. Woman do the buying. When I was at a ski shop (and even now, sellign Subies) , I loved waiting on women, just ask questions, LISTEN, and value their opinions you had a customer for life.
My most memorable times working in a ski shop was fitting boots for women. Checking for pronation, ankle alignment.

Is it getting warm in here?
post #21 of 98
girl (gûrl)
n.

Informal.
Used as a familiar form of address to express support of or camaraderie with a woman.
A female sweetheart (still looking for one that skis...)
post #22 of 98
where are the nudie pics?
post #23 of 98
[quote=freeskier75;594944]

They need equipment that can handle it. I know a girl who busted a pair of women's specific skis, has since started skiing unisex skis and has never been happier. It is an insult to all the women shredders out there to make a subpar ski and call it women specific...


Are you saying that no man has broken a ski? I guess all unisex skis are perfect!
post #24 of 98
[quote=freeskier75;594944]

Girls are going to a whole new level in the sport now, they are hucking huge cliffs and skiing crazy lines. They need equipment that can handle it. I know a girl who busted a pair of women's specific skis, has since started skiing unisex skis and has never been happier. It is an insult to all the women shredders out there to make a subpar ski and call it women specific...

What if a guy breaks a unisex ski? Does that mean that brand of ski is inferior also?
post #25 of 98
I really think that the whole sex specific ski thing is bogus. Womens specific skis just seem to be crappier versions of mens skis.

I don't get why women complain about this though, or why they want better women's skis. Why not just find some skis you like, and ski em? Gotamas seem to work fine for Ingrid. The womens ski thing just seems like marketing, there would be no point to "better womens skis".
post #26 of 98
I'm 5'-1", 110 lbs, and a pretty good skier. Makes perfect sense that I can use the same ski as a 6 ft., 200 lb. man.
post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
I really think that the whole sex specific ski thing is bogus. Womens specific skis just seem to be crappier versions of mens skis.

I don't get why women complain about this though, or why they want better women's skis. Why not just find some skis you like, and ski em? Gotamas seem to work fine for Ingrid. The womens ski thing just seems like marketing, there would be no point to "better womens skis".
I am sure that you have figured out by this point that woman are proportioned different then men, they have a lower center of gravity, therefore a ski will react different under them then it would a man. They also need a different boot/liner due to their lower calf muscle. As far as the ski being a "crappier version" it might be a "lighter/softer" version. I do know woman that ski unsex skis and some that will only ski a woman specific model. Is some of it marketing? Maybe, but some of it is true. To say the "whole sex specific thig is bogus" is well..bogus.:

99.9% of the woman can't ski the same ski/way as Ingrid, the same way 99.9% of the men out there can't ski the same ski/way as Herman or a Jeremy.
post #28 of 98
What he said.
post #29 of 98
All of us are entitled to our quiver of skis and our own ski of the day/ or hour. This does translate to needing bigger ski racks or ski coffins if that's your norm. if you carpool to the slopes. just my add-on to this thread at this hour. v.varmit
post #30 of 98
Ski coffins? You mean we do get to take it with us when we die? Awesome!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion