or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › Deal Alert on E-bay Comment on Gear Swap Posting Guidelines
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deal Alert on E-bay Comment on Gear Swap Posting Guidelines

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
I just saw it, have nothing to do with it, just thought it was a great price...

New Dynastar Legend Pro XXL for $699 "buy it now"
post #2 of 56
I deleted the link in the above post but am not deleting this thread in hopes of drawing your attention to the posting guidelines for Gear Swap. Please read.
post #3 of 56
Thread Starter 
Ok. I just thought that because it was a "buy it now" price, it would be immpossible to snipe (and so not go against the guidlines of potentially making life difficult for other members) as whomever got there first would get them if they wanted them. I would rather someone from here get them than someone else...

But I won’t post e-bay stuff again, sorry.
post #4 of 56
Mithras, not a problem. I was probably more interested in pointing out the guideline than any real concern with your post. Hopefully it didn't come off too harsh.
post #5 of 56
FWIW I think this is the one area of the new "Gear Swap Guidelines" that you guys have gone overboard on, and I think it's worth a re-visit on your part.

Bears helping bears, by pointing out a good deal where ever it may be, can't be a bad thing IMO.
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13 View Post
FWIW I think this is the one area of the new "Gear Swap Guidelines" that you guys have gone overboard on, and I think it's worth a re-visit on your part.

Bears helping bears, by pointing out a good deal where ever it may be, can't be a bad thing IMO.
Agreed. I've been stung by active auction listings before and agree with their ban but I see no problem with posting eBay BIN, craiglist listings, or store deals. Having said that, I can see a potential for some problems. Non-Bears/new posters? I always scrutinize those types of transactions(I'll bet there are less problems with Bear-to-Bear transactions as a rule). From Wikipedia: Caveat emptor is Latin for "let the buyer beware".
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
Agreed. I've been stung by active auction listings before and agree with their ban but I see no problem with posting eBay BIN, craiglist listings, or store deals.
That was one of our concerns also, thansk for the confirmation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
Having said that, I can see a potential for some problems. Non-Bears/new posters? I always scrutinize those types of transactions(I'll bet there are less problems with Bear-to-Bear transactions as a rule). From Wikipedia: Caveat emptor is Latin for "let the buyer beware".
Addressed in the first part of the new guidelines...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
"Gear Swap" is for good standing Epic participants; if you have less than 20-25 posts of substance, do not post your items here.

*This forum is not Craigslist, please do not become a member here just to move your gear.
*Such as Ebay has a feedback system which helps build a sellers credibility, your post count and contribution lends toward your credibility, or lack thereof. If we don't know who you are, why would we risk sending you money?

ect...ect...
post #8 of 56

Gone too far....

I certainly understand the need to monitor this forum. I appreciate the desire to prevent bad transactions from fly by night "members" and also the desire to help avoid inducing Bears to bid against one another on e-bay etc. However, I really think this has gone wayyyyy too far. I really appreciate the opportunity when another Bear posts: "Super deal at XYZ on '05 Atomic ZZZs....only $399 with bindings and they come with a certificate for your son's tuition....etc.

I think these are well intentioned Bears trying to help each other out. After all, its better for a Bear to snag them then an "Outsider".

So, yes, we want to keep people from signing on here just to move gear but I don't see anything wrong with Bears tipping off other Bears to great deals.

You guys are way out to lunch on this one.

(Sorry, I hope that didn't seem too harsh)----and can someone tell me how to insert the little smiley and mad faces in the text????
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
I certainly understand the need to monitor this forum. I appreciate the desire to prevent bad transactions from fly by night "members" and also the desire to help avoid inducing Bears to bid against one another on e-bay etc. However, I really think this has gone wayyyyy too far. I really appreciate the opportunity when another Bear posts: "Super deal at XYZ on '05 Atomic ZZZs....only $399 with bindings and they come with a certificate for your son's tuition....etc.

I think these are well intentioned Bears trying to help each other out. After all, its better for a Bear to snag them then an "Outsider".

So, yes, we want to keep people from signing on here just to move gear but I don't see anything wrong with Bears tipping off other Bears to great deals.

You guys are way out to lunch on this one.

(Sorry, I hope that didn't seem too harsh)----and can someone tell me how to insert the little smiley and mad faces in the text????
hmmm, You say it is "way out to lunch", but mmmthskier says it is great and "Thank You". Now, we have to find where that happy medium would be.

As it says in the guidelines, this is subject to change.
post #10 of 56
This is a good conversation, and I think we are all interested in getting it right. The guidelines for the Gear Swap are new and we expected they may need to be refined.

I'm going to move this to the community forum and hope we can get some constructive comments. We may not make everyone happy, but we'll do the best we can.

Please read the Guidelines and comment how we can best serve needs of members. Keep in mind, our concern was primarily with first time posters in Gear Swap that have little or no history on EpicSki. This forum is intended to be a service to members, not necessarily an open internet buy / sell service.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
hmmm, You say it is "way out to lunch", but mmmthskier says it is great and "Thank You". Now, we have to find where that happy medium would be.

As it says in the guidelines, this is subject to change.
I agree that you folks are trying to correct a problem and understand that it may take some time to find the best solution. I look forward to seeing how other people feel and "thanks for listening".

P.S. I still don't know how to put in the smiley faces.....
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
...P.S. I still don't know how to put in the smiley faces.....
Click the reply box on a post that has the smiley you want to use and see how it looks in the quote (you don't have to actually post a reply, you are just looking at how it is done). For example, to get a regular smiley, just type colon and end parenthesis and the smilie magically appears, when you preview your post and when you submit it.

Mithras, thanks for the heads up.

Cirquerider, get over yourself. How's that for a "constructive comment"? Will this post count towards my "20 post's of substance"? Haha. Don't get your Depends all bunched up over people doing good deeds.
post #13 of 56
I'm having a bit of a problem on this point

"Also, do not post Ebay, Craigslist and other store sales here unless they belong to you. Particularly Ebay, you might be posting an auction that a fellow Bear is planning to snipe. If there is a "Buy it Now", you can offer a link via PM. If there is someone posting a WTB (Wanted to Buy), you can PM that person a link."

Its well intended, but a little contrary to the gregarious nature of the forum.

Limiting free speech is always problematic.

Must of us are skilled bargain hunters, or want to be. Sharing this enthusiasm is basic to human nature and is as old as buying and selling itself. If I was listing an item on ebay I expect to benefit from the networks available to online, it's how the WEB works.

Limiting info is a little too 1984 for me.

Michael
post #14 of 56
post #15 of 56
Thanks Telerod.
Slider, that screen shot looks like an MS Word screen, not like the response screen I get from the forum.
post #16 of 56
Ride, press the Post Reply button at the lower left corner, rather than fill in the quick reply on the bottom.
You will get picture attachments, quotes, smiles, fonts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15
Cirquerider, get over yourself.
Rodney, I've been trying to figure this out, and just concluded that I'm not flexible enough to make that maneuver.
Nevertheless, I'm sure Depends make that bike seat more tolerable all day in heavy traffic.
post #17 of 56

Using Post Reply button to get smilies, fonts, attachments, etc.

That doesn't work for me (using Safari). I can only choose an icon for the title (like the thumbs downs posted here for example).
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Ride, press the Post Reply button at the lower left corner, rather than fill in the quick reply on the bottom.
You will get picture attachments, quotes, smiles, fonts etc.


Rodney, I've been trying to figure this out, and just concluded that I'm not flexible enough to make that maneuver.
Nevertheless, I'm sure Depends make that bike seat more tolerable all day in heavy traffic.
You were the one who said that YOU needed diapers because folks post SAC alerts. I use padded shorts sometimes, if that makes you feel better.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Cirquerider, get over yourself. How's that for a "constructive comment"? Will this post count towards my "20 post's of substance"? Haha. Don't get your Depends all bunched up over people doing good deeds.
The 20-25 posts of substance was my guideline, not Cirques. Looking at all the problems we have had in this area, almost everyone has been from people who were just here to sell and not be part of the community. Infact there is a item listed now from someone with only 8 posts, but his post history is strong and not just here to hawk gear.
post #20 of 56

websites ruined by garbage

after seeing a website ruined by garbage and spam because it was not moderated, I would really like to THANK the really vigilant moderators here for doing a great job. I wouldnt have understood it either if I hadnt seen a mess when there were no rules.....the minimum posting rule is brilliant
post #21 of 56
Just for the record, I like the minimum posting rule. But if someone wants to announce "Forum snowboards on SAC, NOW", I like that, too.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
You were the one who said that YOU needed diapers because folks post SAC alerts. I use padded shorts sometimes, if that makes you feel better.
Negative!
Twas I who posted that. And I'm sticking to it. (my diaper that is - literally )
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
But if someone wants to announce "Forum snowboards on SAC, NOW", I like that, too.
How about SAC, Craigslist and Ebay (With Buy-it-now) alerts being allowed? What are thoughts on that?
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
Negative!
Twas I who posted that. And I'm sticking to it. (my diaper that is - literally )
Oh, nevermind Cirque.

Carvemeister, Cirquerider, sounds the same, no? Haha. I was wondering why he didn't seem to get that diaper reference. Change that sticky diaper, carvemeister, I'll hold all SAC alerts until you are back. Before you do though, nice sunglasses up on SAC, NOW!
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
How about SAC, Craigslist and Ebay (With Buy-it-now) alerts being allowed? What are thoughts on that?
I have yet to delve into internet shopping. I'm looking at SAC (and Ebay occasionally) but haven't actually bought anything yet. I bought Peppers sunglasses yesterday for $35 at REI brick and mortar, five mile bike ride each way, and today SAC has Smith for $20. Damn!

Craigslist seems super sketchy to me. Anyone who links to that should be banned permanently!

I think I agree with MBarrett, no reason to keep good deals under a blanket, just so Phil can get it cheap and turn it around for a profit. Sorry, Phil. If I knew how to "snipe" I might feel differently.
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
How about SAC, Craigslist and Ebay (With Buy-it-now) alerts being allowed? What are thoughts on that?
I think it is rediculous to limit the accepted vendors like that. What about Ski Depot, Sierra Trading Post, Sports Liquidator, Level Nine Sports. It seems absurd to have to check the Vendor against an approved list.

We are not hawking gear here. These posts are just trying to help out other Bears by pointingout good deals. I really don't see the issue.

I agree with the minimum post rule and applaud your efforts to keep the community safe and enjoyable,but I just can't see limiting anyone's ability to share a deal. E-bay may be an exception, I'm not sure yet how I feel about that.

RD

P.S. When I click the reply button on the lower left I DO NOT get the Word-like editor with formating features and emoticons. I get a box much like the quick-reply box and with emoticons only available to post on the title bar and no formating commands.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
...Craigslist seems super sketchy to me. Anyone who links to that should be banned permanently!

I think I agree with MBarrett, no reason to keep good deals under a blanket, just so Phil can get it cheap and turn it around for a profit. Sorry, Phil. If I knew how to "snipe" I might feel differently.
LOL

Michael
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
.. Change that sticky diaper, carvemeister, I'll hold all SAC alerts until you are back. Before you do though, nice sunglasses up on SAC, NOW!
SAC is for lewzers!!
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
Craigslist seems super sketchy to me. Anyone who links to that should be banned permanently!
And I have had nothing but luck on Craigslist. This is why we will not be able to make everyone happy with these parameters. We will take a look at all of the talk here and possibly fine tune the guidelides.


Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I think I agree with MBarrett, no reason to keep good deals under a blanket, just so Phil can get it cheap and turn it around for a profit. Sorry, Phil. If I knew how to "snipe" I might feel differently.
Sniping is not buying and reselling, sniping is bidding on something in the final seconds. Also linking an auction might be finding something that might have been listed wrong and getting it for below market value. If you have done the work to find (example) a Good (misspelled) Carbonfiber 95 ski for $250.00 with no reserve, the last thing you want is someone to announce in a ski forum that the ski is there, you want it for yourself. That is about Bears protecting Bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
I think it is rediculous to limit the accepted vendors like that. What about Ski Depot, Sierra Trading Post, Sports Liquidator, Level Nine Sports. It seems absurd to have to check the Vendor against an approved list.

We are not hawking gear here. These posts are just trying to help out other Bears by pointingout good deals. I really don't see the issue.
What we don't want is vendors coming in to sell their stuff w/o being business supportes or venders coming in and say, check out this (their own) deals. I found my M999's this way because someone said that they were on sale somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
I agree with the minimum post rule and applaud your efforts to keep the community safe and enjoyable,but I just can't see limiting anyone's ability to share a deal. E-bay may be an exception, I'm not sure yet how I feel about that.
Thanks and I think I answered the Ebay question above.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
What we don't want is vendors coming in to sell their stuff w/o being business supportes or venders coming in and say, check out this (their own) deals. I found my M999's this way because someone said that they were on sale somewhere.
I agree with this, but that is no reason to prevent a well-meaning "Bear in good standing" from posting a heads-up to agreat deal. This is a VERY different issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › Deal Alert on E-bay Comment on Gear Swap Posting Guidelines