New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Canyons or steamboat

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Ok so heres the scoup. I am an ASC (American skiing company) employee and could ski either resort for free. I am thinking of making the trip durring the first or second week in march. Assume that money is not an issue based on the fact that my skiing is paid for, where would some of you guys prefer to spend your days?
post #2 of 29
alta/bird sorry could not resist
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtopforever View Post
Ok so heres the scoup. I am an ASC (American skiing company) employee and could ski either resort for free. I am thinking of making the trip durring the first or second week in march. Assume that money is not an issue based on the fact that my skiing is paid for, where would some of you guys prefer to spend your days?
You're not skiing for free. You're getting your lift tickets for free. You still have to pay to get there adn pay to stay. At 95% of the resorts out west you can get a substantial discount on your tickets with a letter from your Mountain Creek boss.

So with that said why would you WANT to ski at an ASC resort. They are run down with poor customer service and both Steamboat and Canyons cannot hold a candle as far as the skiing goes to other resorts in their own states let alone the rest of the country. Go somewhere else.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 

Asc

Ah mountain creek would be a good call but I actually work for killington. PA is home but not for now. I have been shopping alot and found that the cheap skiing and the fact that i have friends in both places would lead to this trip being reasonable. With that said neything between the two.

As far as ASC's bad rap feel free to give me your point of view as i have not quite signed my life away yet.
post #5 of 29
I will be at the boat the second week of March if that helps your decision process
post #6 of 29
Maybe I'm being unfair, but my first impression of the Canyons was "Killington with a better mountain and better snow."
post #7 of 29
definetly go to Utah. All the other mountains are close by so you wont be stuck at just the Canyons. Steamboat is a big ZZZZZZZZZ
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecut View Post
definetly go to Utah. All the other mountains are close by so you wont be stuck at just the Canyons. Steamboat is a big ZZZZZZZZZ
Aren't you glad that some of our members are not very opinionated?
Steamboat is an easier mountaint to ski. 90% of it is skiable by an advanced skier. The Canyons has more diversity but is a bit spread out and can be a pain to navigate. With the exception of Lookout Cabin, the on mountain food sucks.
Park City gives you the option to ski 10 mountains within an hour drive.
post #9 of 29
Personally, I like Steamboat. Some of the best tree skiing you'll find anywhere, high quality reliable snow, and its usually not all that crowded compared to other destination resorts due to its location. It all depends on what you're looking for, I definitely don't think Steamboat's a bore. Nice town too, although so is Park City.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowers View Post
Personally, I like Steamboat. Some of the best tree skiing you'll find anywhere,
This is one of the top 5 ski myths that gets repeated over and over.

If you go to the Canyons you will be a short drive from some great skiing, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude etc. So if you get bored at the Canyons you have options.

When not if you get bored at Steamboat you will be stuck. Not to metnion the town is rather notorious right now for sending 2 kids to prison for "stealing" rotten food out of a dumpster.
post #11 of 29
I've not been to Steamboat, but I do like the Canyons - and it does have trees...
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 

Thanks

Ok thank you guys this gives me some good food for thought.
Sidecut I am still interested in your opinion of ASC feel free I will not be offended.

Phil- Do you think the boat can handle two bears at the same time?
post #13 of 29
Why not both? Fly into SLC (or DIA), rent a car and spend some time at both. Steamboat is about 6 hours from Park City. To me, there is nothing like driving the hinterlands of the American West in the winter (well, spring for you). There is so much character to see along some of the smaller highways and towns along stretches like that.

Powdr
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Maybe I'm being unfair, but my first impression of the Canyons was "Killington with a better mountain and better snow."
Umm....doesn't that describe just about every good ski resort? Snowbird, JH, Whistler all are "Killington with a better mountain and better snow."

Powdr
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Maybe I'm being unfair, but my first impression of the Canyons was "Killington with a better mountain and better snow."
After sleeping on it, I think I have been unfair, generalizing from our experience. Our group got separated (skiing the same run, we wound up at the bottom of different lifts!) and we wasted a lot of skiing time getting everyone back together.

I think skiing with a local, taking a tour, or spending multiple days there would help the navigation issue.

THey do have good snow and some nice terrain, and the employees we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.

I still think the bottleneck at the bottom is annoying and the food is lousy, though.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr View Post
Umm....doesn't that describe just about every good ski resort? Snowbird, JH, Whistler all are "Killington with a better mountain and better snow."

Powdr
Nah, Alta is Mad River Glen with a better mountain and better snow. Wolf Creek Pass is Cannon with a better mountain and better snow. Jackson Hole is, I don't know, maybe Stowe? with a better mountain and better snow.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecut View Post
This is one of the top 5 ski myths that gets repeated over and over.

If you go to the Canyons you will be a short drive from some great skiing, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude etc. So if you get bored at the Canyons you have options.

When not if you get bored at Steamboat you will be stuck. Not to metnion the town is rather notorious right now for sending 2 kids to prison for "stealing" rotten food out of a dumpster.
Agee with everything here. Especially the part about Steamboat tree skiing being a myth. I searched all around that mountain and did find some tree skiing but couldn't see what the big deal was all about.

The Canyons is better than most people give it credit - actually has good tree skiing for that matter - but it takes a couple of days to figure that out. Much of the mountain is useless and you have to traverse a lot (stay mainly on 9990(?) and the right side of the mountain looking at a trail map of the mountain).

Really, though, just buy the lift ticket and go to Alta/Bird
post #18 of 29
I think the fact that the Canyons is so close to several ski resorts would prompt me to pick the Canyons. I've skied Steamboat, and although it was nice and my wife really liked the intermediate terrain, we most likely won't be back. For me there just wasn't enough expert terrain to keep me interested for 5 days.
We are going to Park City for the first time this ski season, and one reason is for the multitude of ski areas to choose from. Plus we have relatives that have been going to Alta/Park City for the past 4 years and just rave about it.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
After sleeping on it, I think I have been unfair, generalizing from our experience. Our group got separated (skiing the same run, we wound up at the bottom of different lifts!) and we wasted a lot of skiing time getting everyone back together.

I think skiing with a local, taking a tour, or spending multiple days there would help the navigation issue.

THey do have good snow and some nice terrain, and the employees we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.

I still think the bottleneck at the bottom is annoying and the food is lousy, though.
We spent two days at The Canyons year before last. It is spread out horizontally and can be tricky to navigate. They offer (or at least did offer) a free guided tour, which I think lasted about 2 hours. Very helpful. There are also some rather long run outs. I do think one of the real pluses of UT skiing is that one can easily visit several distinct resorts. I also think that if you go to the Park City area and don't visit the Cottonwoods Canyons resorts for at least a day or two, you're cheating yourself. And Park City has much to offer as a base. That said, Steamboat looks very attractive and is on our to do list.
post #20 of 29
Disclaimer: I have never been to either. However,I know people who have. The overall impression I've got is that the Canyons is more diverse than Steamboat, but at the save time more difficult to navigate, and you're less likely to get as many runs in. Steamboat has better snow, and less people, so the quality and quantity will likely be better. Steamboat is an easier mountain, but depending on how good you are, I don't see how that is necessarily bad. Like robscapes said, an advanced skier can ski 90% of the mountain, and most people I know came back and told me that they felt like an expert. If you don't intend to go anywhere else than ASC resorts, then I would recommend Steamboat. If you want to spend some more money, head to Utah and hit up Alta and Snowbird for a couple of days. When I went the lift tickets were less than $50 a day.
post #21 of 29
We love Canyons (and Snowbasin). Don't find it difficult at all to navigate, there's all kind of terrain, efficient lifts, and it's in Park City (great Main Street). 4 days should do it.

Do what was suggested before, renta a car and go to both places. You won't be disappointed either way.
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 

More info

I won't brag about my skiing because that is bad karma, but I do want a challenge. Is this rent a car thing really a possiblilty? Which Mtn do you guys think would be more crowded at the time?
post #23 of 29
I'm not sure what you mean about the "rent a car thing being really a possibility." SLC airport, which is 30 minutes from Canyons, 35 from PC, 36 from Deer Valley, 40 from Alta (though different route) has all the cars you could want. Moreover, Utah has some pretty magical road crews (knock on wood) that keep the highways in phenomenal shape.

Actually, if you are a good skiier and in good shape, you can take an interconnect tour that lets you ski Deer Valley, the back side of Deer Valley, Park City, Solitude, Brighton and Alta all in one day.

At Steamboat, your in Steamboat, which is fine.
post #24 of 29
The car thing is more than possible. Both Park City and Steamboat are on US-40 300 miles apart by the road with maybe 3 traffic lights and a good, but remote highway. You can make very good time if the weather is clear. In fact, you don't even have to miss a day of skiing. Of course you could drive the same distance North instead of East and be at Jackson Hole.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
The car thing is more than possible. Both Park City and Steamboat are on US-40 300 miles apart by the road with maybe 3 traffic lights and a good, but remote highway. You can make very good time if the weather is clear. In fact, you don't even have to miss a day of skiing. Of course you could drive the same distance North instead of East and be at Jackson Hole.
Or, even less, and be in Aspen (155 miles); Vail is 95 miles, Winter Park is 99 miles
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Wow I was unaware this was all on one highway. The car rental thing is starting to make more sense by the second. As far as resorts it sounds like I might just do a little of both and take some intro letters for places I may or may not want to stop in between. Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtopforever View Post
Phil- Do you think the boat can handle two bears at the same time?
At least two. Either way, no sheep will be safe. :
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtopforever View Post
Wow I was unaware this was all on one highway. The car rental thing is starting to make more sense by the second. As far as resorts it sounds like I might just do a little of both and take some intro letters for places I may or may not want to stop in between. Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.
It's not the same highway. However, Vail, Beavercreek and the Aspens can be easily combined.
post #29 of 29
Whoa Nellie, apparently there are a few here who have some very special feelings for Steamboat.
For what it is worth. . .
I've been to both resorts and happen to like 'em both. Steamboat does have some good tree skiing. If you are not afraid to make some new tracks, you can pick your way through the trees from top to bottom. And you don't have to be a level 9 skier either. The rule is - if you are a 9 - go faster! Some trees are fairly open at the top and towards the bottom, it can get a little dense - but it is fun. Steamboat is certainly worth a couple days of skiing.
Now for the Canyons and all the surrounding resorts - they are all great too. You can't go wrong in SLC. First week in March should be very good.
Garyskr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel