New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arcteryx vs. Cloudveil

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I was going to buy a new shell. I know Arcteryx is often the gold standard. However, does Cloudveil match Arcteryx at all? I do not have any experience with Cloudveil products.

also, does anyone have an opinion on shells from these companies? (Arc - Beta, Cloud - Koven).

Thanx
post #2 of 19
What is the shell being used for.
Both the beta and koven lack a powder skirt,which might be handy in telluride.
I think that arteryx is simplier, more functional.
Cloudveil stuff is great quality, great products, but a little more going on. A little heavier, some extra pockets etc etc.
Check out Sidewinder v. RPK as well.
post #3 of 19
Arc terxy is much better quality, the cloudveil stuff is made in China. The arc' has a lifetime warrenty. If you really want to see a very well made jacket a a very good price, look at the Outdoor research stuff, the Mithril softshell is an incredible value.
post #4 of 19
I have the Arc Gamma MX Hoody and could not be happier with that purchase. Its been though the bitter Northeast as well as West conditions. Its a lightweight shell, but keeps me warm in most weather. Not the best in the rain though. Runs small...
post #5 of 19
The gamma is not waterproof. Great jacket though. My Gamma SV is about 4 y/o and still my favorite all around jacket. It has a great range of temperature use. JNot good for walking in areas with briars though! Snags easily
post #6 of 19
Didn't Cloudveil recently go under/out of business?
post #7 of 19
didn't hear that but....
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Didn't Cloudveil recently go under/out of business?
No, they sold controlling stake to the holding company that controls FILA Holdings, and in exchange they picked up some much needed deep pockets and industry distribution channels.

They still are alive and well.
post #9 of 19
Have 4 Arcteryx pieces in the family. My son likes them. I'm a big North Face fan. Still wear my TNF stuff from the late 90's, because I haven't found any of the new stuff with the same features.

Earlier this Summer we sent one of the Arcteryx pieces back to them. It was begining to fray on both sides of the zipper. It was a black soft shell from 3 be 4 years ago. Sorry I don't know what model. It was mid layer like my TNF Sentinal or other TNF Fleece's. I have worn the Sentinal since the late 90's, it still does not show wear. They told me there was nothing they could do. I told them my North Face story, and that I was dissappointed with the durability of there products. We also have a sidewinder that the nylon stay is poking through the hood and scratches your forehead.

I'll have to try and send it back.

Granted some of my North Face stuff shows wear, but when something on it fails they make the effort to fix it. I sent back one of my early 90's TNF parka's to them. It was kept by them because they said it had faded and they didn't want it to be seen. They give me a voucher equal to what it was worth new to replace it with any TNF product, or buy whateverTNF product I wanted.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
Arc terxy is much better quality, the cloudveil stuff is made in China. The arc' has a lifetime warrenty. If you really want to see a very well made jacket a a very good price, look at the Outdoor research stuff, the Mithril softshell is an incredible value.
I dunno,
OR are crappy rip offs of other designs The Mithril is almost exactly a MH Synchro. Look at how inconsistant the seam taping is. The tape wanders all over the seam and isn't centered. OR is a great way to get a good design at cheaper prices
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/18576/ Mithril
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/26816/?sch=clk Synchro

obviously different, but really similiar if you have both in hand.
post #11 of 19
I have a mithril and a few Arc's and I can personally attest that they are well-made. The Mithril, for under $200, is waterproof, windproof and very comfortable, It's not a $450 arc' but its very good for the bucks. I think they can be had for about $180? OR makes nice gear.

Read the 9 reviews under the altrec Mithril link
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
No, they sold controlling stake to the holding company that controls FILA Holdings, and in exchange they picked up some much needed deep pockets and industry distribution channels.

They still are alive and well.
My bad - just came to me...I was confusing Cloudveil with Moonstone. Sorry for the sidetrack.
post #13 of 19
I have about 50 ski days on my cloudveil shell, and I can tell you the quality is first rate. Yes its made in China, but so are some Arc Teryx, not to mention its the same exact goretex 2 fabric as the Arc Teryx. This shell has seen all sorts of weather and abuse including more than a few brushes with tree branches and it looks brand new.
post #14 of 19
Which is the best Cloudveil shell for inbound skiing (for Lake Tahoe so it doesn't get to -20F like it does back East)?

Thanks.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier75 View Post
Yes its made in China, but so are some Arc Teryx, not to mention its the same exact goretex 2 fabric as the Arc Teryx.
All of my Arcteryx gear was made in Canada. Which Arcteryx is made in China?
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpSKI View Post
All of my Arcteryx gear was made in Canada. Which Arcteryx is made in China?
Hey, I'm sorry, I don't remember the models, I just remember seeing a few Arc Teryx made in china when I was shopping. That was a year ago though.

Edit: By all means, I'd buy a product made in Canada over a similar product in the same price range made in china. Make no mistake though, Cloudveil is high quality.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telski View Post
I was going to buy a new shell. I know Arcteryx is often the gold standard. However, does Cloudveil match Arcteryx at all? I do not have any experience with Cloudveil products.

also, does anyone have an opinion on shells from these companies? (Arc - Beta, Cloud - Koven).

Thanx
Telski,

I bought the Cloudveil RPK last fall. I love the jacket. It has kept me dry and warm in snow storm as well as some light rain. It has lots of pockets and a powder skirt.

I looked at the Arcteryx Sidewinder jacket. It was a very nice jacket, but the zipper is not centered on your neck. I read a number of reviews and that seemed to be the #1 complaint.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWVA View Post
Telski,

I bought the Cloudveil RPK last fall. I love the jacket. It has kept me dry and warm in snow storm as well as some light rain. It has lots of pockets and a powder skirt.

I looked at the Arcteryx Sidewinder jacket. It was a very nice jacket, but the zipper is not centered on your neck. I read a number of reviews and that seemed to be the #1 complaint.

That is why its called the sidewinder... Idea is it won't chafe your chin. You can get the exact same jacket with a regular zipper, I forget the name of it though.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWVA View Post
Telski,

I bought the Cloudveil RPK last fall. I love the jacket. It has kept me dry and warm in snow storm as well as some light rain. It has lots of pockets and a powder skirt.
Question about the RPK if you don't mind. How breathable is it? You indicated that it kept you dry in some light rain. Does that mean that it won't keep you dry when there's lots of rain?

TIA

A.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion