Welcome out west where it can be fantastic BUT hit the wrong resort on the wrong day and it can be horrible. This is my advice (based on over 15 years of tahoe riding)
1. For the weekend Mt. Rose would be a good trip. Will be the least crowded and will have runs for all levels. Rose gets the tail end of the storms so it can be a bit icy/windy at times but never crowded.
2. Stay AWAY from Sierra at Tahoe on the weekend. They sell TOO many cheap season passes and they are the 1st resort on Hwy 50 from Sacramento/Bay Area. During the week this place is wind protected, has some of the best tree skiing/riding in tahoe and you will not have a lift line.
3. There are shuttles that run to Kirkwood from South Lake Tahoe. Grab the 1st one on a weekend (if you don't go to Mt. rose). I would Suggest either Mt. Rose or Kirkwood for your weekend or holiday skiing.
4. Heavenly is nice, just expensive ($74/day). during the weekend they are WAY busy in the late morning until about 1:30 PM. but in the late afternoon most have called it a day. they also have night parks with some major talent in the parks. You should check it out. Night riding/skiing is Included in your lift ticket price, plus the night view from the Gondola is AWESOME.
5. Make sure to Hit Alpine, not as big a Squaw (and not as crowded) but they have some major bowels and open terrain. That is a FUN FUN FUN moutain.
6. During the week you will practically have any of these moutains to yourself. Since you are going during the week you might want to check out www.snowbomb.com
For $40 you get a Kirkwood lift ticket and membership that lets you buy discounted lift ticktets (avg discount is about 10-15/lift ticket), it will pay for itself quickly.
7. Hit the buffet at the Horizon during the week, for $10 one of the best deals in tahoe.
I think you will have a GREAT time out here.