EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Freestlye Skis, Bindings, Boots, I need everything!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Freestlye Skis, Bindings, Boots, I need everything!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a reccomendation on getting new twin tips. I've skiid with snow blades for the past 2 years, but after all the awful injuries I've been hearing about, I'm going to swtich. As far as the skis go, I was recommended the Salomon Teneighty Thruster. As far as boots and bindings go, I have no real idea on what I'm looking for, but what do you guys recommend for I guess you could call me a first-timer?
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
I'm looking for a reccomendation on getting new twin tips. I've skiid with snow blades for the past 2 years, but after all the awful injuries I've been hearing about, I'm going to swtich. As far as the skis go, I was recommended the Salomon Teneighty Thruster. As far as boots and bindings go, I have no real idea on what I'm looking for, but what do you guys recommend for I guess you could call me a first-timer?
Hi Chitown, go Bears!

Tell us more about yourself; your age, size, fitness level, where you plan to ski, are you into the park, freeriding...

Cheers,

Michael
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm orignially from Pittsburgh, go Steelers! :

I'm 18, I played soccer for 4 years in high school and am playing intramurals here at school now. I've been skiing since I was around 12 also so I'm fairly athletic. I plan to ski in the parks, but I'd like to freeride also. I weigh about 165 and am around 6' 1.'' The places I'm found at most of the year is Seven Springs or Hidden Valley in Western PA. I live about an hour and a half from both. My family also owns a condo in Snowshoe, WV so we go up there a few weekends every year. My dream is to go out west to ski because the farthest I've been is WV!
post #4 of 19
I'm out West, its alright, Stay around Colorado area for the best skiing. Anyway I'd check out www.newschoolers.com, they have better info for park stuff. If youre gonna be skiing almost all park I'd go for the K2 Fujatives with Look P 12X bindings. For boots get whatever feels the best and get custom footbeds if you can afford it. If you're skiing park and freeriding maybe take a look at the Volkl Karmas.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
I'm orignially from Pittsburgh, go Steelers! :

I'm 18, I played soccer for 4 years in high school and am playing intramurals here at school now. I've been skiing since I was around 12 also so I'm fairly athletic. I plan to ski in the parks, but I'd like to freeride also. I weigh about 165 and am around 6' 1.'' The places I'm found at most of the year is Seven Springs or Hidden Valley in Western PA. I live about an hour and a half from both. My family also owns a condo in Snowshoe, WV so we go up there a few weekends every year. My dream is to go out west to ski because the farthest I've been is WV!
Dear Chitown,

First, please read the sticky at the head of this section called "FAQ". In particular think about boots. Boots are more important than skis. This website can provide references for first rate bootfitters within a few hours drive.

I've been told by posters that the head MOJO 80 is a great all-around twin tip for what you describe.

I'm sure more suggestions will be made .

Cheers,

Michael
post #6 of 19
What kind of twin do you want? Park only? all mountain? park all mountian? pick up a copy of the freeskiier buyers guide they have all the tiwns reviwed, and bindings, and some boots.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, this helps a lot! Where can I find the freeskiier buyers guide? Like a magazine store or what?
post #8 of 19
Don't go anywhere near the Thruster. It's a POS foam core ski that is designed solely to meet a price point. If you're looking to stay within a budget, the K2 Fujative, K2 Silencer, and Rossignol Sprayer FS are FAR better choices. As far as boots, good advice has already been given in this thread, but keep in mind that most "park" boots are a very roomy fit. Hence, I wouldn't be looking at park boots unless you're a C width or greater. The only exception would be the Salomon Falcon Gun.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
Thanks guys, this helps a lot! Where can I find the freeskiier buyers guide? Like a magazine store or what?
It was in barns and nobels-borders a bit ago i dont know if its still there. ANd dont ge tt he thursters, ggor for K2 Fugatives, or Rossi scratches. for price.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
There aren't any boot fitters in the Western PA area nuts.
post #11 of 19
The magazine buyers guides are fun but they don't actually rate any of the skis other than "editor's pick" for some of them because they don't want to alienate any potential advertising revenue.

For skis that you are looking for, I would never recommend anything other than Volkl Karma or Salomon Foil. Karmas are stiffer and a more advanced all mountain ski. Foils are easier, softer and more park oriented. Though both are fantastic from what I have heard. The thruster is not actually a bad ski, it's just not a great ski (don't listen to the Salomon foam haters).

The Mojo 80 as mentioned above, is a good ski but probably too stiff and heavy for what you are looking for.
post #12 of 19
Another to the thrusters. Fujative's, Publice Enemies, or something from Line (Invader, Chronic, etc.) can be found at a higher quality and lower price. Another good option could be Dynastar Trouble Maker, tons of year or two old models out there for nice and cheap. A lot of other options at a higher price too, but unless you have money to burn spend more on your quest for boots, they'll be worth the most in the long term.
post #13 of 19
Haha, good one, "Line" and "higher quality" in the same sentence.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
I'm looking for a reccomendation on getting new twin tips. I've skiid with snow blades for the past 2 years, but after all the awful injuries I've been hearing about, I'm going to swtich. As far as the skis go, I was recommended the Salomon Teneighty Thruster. As far as boots and bindings go, I have no real idea on what I'm looking for, but what do you guys recommend for I guess you could call me a first-timer?
I really hate to give this suggestion, but you can put a releasable binding on a snowblade and avoid the biggest problem with them. I saw a new version of a snowblade, and it had a releasable binding.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
I really hate to give this suggestion, but you can put a releasable binding on a snowblade and avoid the biggest problem with them. I saw a new version of a snowblade, and it had a releasable binding.
Hmm...I think the concern of injury was about being beaten up in the parking lot
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
I really hate to give this suggestion, but you can put a releasable binding on a snowblade and avoid the biggest problem with them. I saw a new version of a snowblade, and it had a releasable binding.
I think I'm gonna stick with the twin tips anyway, just to try something different. My snowblades are still in working condition if I ever decide to switch back, they're just a little beat up.
post #17 of 19
If your gonna go all mountain as well as park I'd vote against the Fujatives, I've heard they are very very soft, I picked up a pair of 07's a few weeks ago, but I plan to use them just in the park and maybe in deeper stuff.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bszekely View Post
Hmm...I think the concern of injury was about being beaten up in the parking lot
go bszekely

i have heard that the mojo 90s are a great all mountian ski that work well in the park.
post #19 of 19

'lers

Go Steelers!

I grew up skiing the Springs as well. Depending on the $$ you would like to spend, Id suggest picking up an older version of the 1080, Volkl VPro (if you can find em), Head Mojo80, Dynastar Candide/Trouble Maker. I am about 85/15 all mountain/park and loved each of them. My overall suggestion, go with the 1080. You might be able to get a brand new pair of 03/04, 04/05 1080's off of ebay for ~ 200+.

Boots, go to Ski North/Willies and see what feels good. I have the 03/04 1080's and absolutely love them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Freestlye Skis, Bindings, Boots, I need everything!