or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December in Austria

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I am from Madrid (Spain).
I am planning to spend a week skiing in Austria with my family in December. I have two kids (10 and 7 years). We all have an intermediate-advance level.
I would appreciate if you could recomend me a ski area not very high (to avoid low temperatures) with a nice hotel near the lifts. I have been told that Carintia is one of the best options.

Thanks in advance
post #2 of 6
Unfortunately, December in Austria can be highly questionable for snow - especially at the lower elevations. I would look to the Innsbruck area as they have a wide variety of ski and lodging options, and a large amount of intermediate to advanced terrain. They also have ski areas at a variety of elevations - so if there isn't snow at the lower elevations, there will be at the higher elevations. There's nothing worse than showing up for a ski vacation and finding out that there's no snow - going to Innsbruck is a great insurance policy against that possibility (the glacier always has snow, even if nowhere else does).

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks jake75.
You are right, nothing worse that not find snow.
I will look arround Innsbruck. Any recommendation in this area?
post #4 of 6
Focus on western Austria for early snow, i.e. Arlberg, Paznaun Valley (Ischgl, Galtür), Nauders, Serfaus/Fiss if you don't want to go glacier.
Beside what's been said you can always access the Kaunertal glacier from Landeck as worst case scenario.
The Ötztal - Ober- and Hochgurgl are highly elevated so that is safe too.
Innsbruck itself is no safe bid except maybe for the Axamer Lizum (terrain is pretty limited though and it gets very crowded at times) and the Stubai glacier is also roughly an hour's drive away.
post #5 of 6

In terms of snow, the Mölltal Glacier in Carinthia is ahead (although this could change overnight).

The snow hasn't really started yet and Sölden / Obergurgl has very low snow levels for this time of year. The snow does tend to fall earlier in the west but it's not always the case.

In my opinion it would be better if you could wait for for a couple of weeks to see where the snow settles first. Accommodation in Dec pre Xmas shouldn't be a problem even if you leave it to the last minute.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all your comments. I will just arrange for the air tickets and wait some weeks to decide the place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel