or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Can I get some MA my epicski brothers!!! (video of Highway Star)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I get some MA my epicski brothers!!! (video of Highway Star) - Page 2

post #31 of 801
Only you can judge the snow and how much that factored in. I can only go by sight and sound from that video. I do not see the depth that you say is there. Only in the turn just past the camera do you drop very deep into the snow, and that is only for a very short part of the turn. So, again, I don't think that you need to ski that terrain and those conditions the way that you did. If you choose to, more power to you.

I'll stick with my recommendation, though. You can ski that terrain and those conditions "stacked", using core strength to balance into the future and maintain that balance. You would also look more accomplished, and that seems to be one of your objectives.
post #32 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I don't see the lack of fitness.
You dont???!!!!:

His best skiing is just as he leaves the rock band...at the start of the run, where he looks "fresh" it is also the steepest part of the run....the worst skiing is as he goes by camera, near the end of the run...

his skiing gets progressivley worse as makes his way down the hill, yet the run is getting less steep...he blames it on the snow.....but i have seen this way too many times....fitness fitness fitness.
post #33 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
Highway Star:

You're the perfect skier, the platonic ideal. There's no point to skiing something you already have, so the rest of us are giving up trying. We've assigned a cadre of Bears and Maggots to follow you from run to run, permanently closing each trail you ski after you've been down it, to preserve it for posterity. It can never be skied any better than you have, because by definition, if you've skied it, it has been skied perfectly.

I assume that was roughly the response you're looking for, since every suggestion for improvement that anyone has made has been met with a defensive justification for why each choice you made was the best possible under those given circumstances, and could only have been implemented by a skier of your lofty skill and experience.

Whatever. This is tired.
Yeah.....especially since I don't know who the hell you are and when or why I pissed you off. : :
post #34 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
Yeah.....especially since I don't know who the hell you are and when or why I p..... you off. : :
Alpinedad's got a very good point. SSH alluded to the same thing.

Was your purpose in posting the vid to get honest feedback for improving your skiing or were you just looking for backpats?

Almost all the feedback that you've received suggested (some more diplomatically than others) that your weight was further back than it should be. You already told us that the conditions sucked, but I will tell you that really good skiers can ski those conditions with better balance and better flow than what you showed in the vid.

I've watched enough video and skied enough crappy snow to have been impressed with your skills. It's a gutsy line in difficult conditions. That doesn't mean you couldn't have skied it better.

If you take these suggestions to heart and work on that this coming season, the vids you post next spring will look better. Work on getting your weight more forward - all the time. It's the single most difficult thing for us skiers to do, especially as the run or the conditions get tougher.

You MIGHT have been able to make those tips bend in that junky snow if you trusted them enough to try.
post #35 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post
You dont???!!!!:
Not necessarily, his conditioning might be an issue, but I can't tell from this video. Again, I don't want to be overly critical, but his technique is what is making him tired. He muscles his 'saves' (I do the same thing when I'm off). He is using strength instead of finesse. That makes you tired. His final few turns are not a product of fatigue so much as one of trying to regain fore/aft balance. One of his problems is transition from steep to flat. That is balance.

HS, you should check my qualification under the MA qual thread. I'm not listed, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

You are leaning back on the steep, your feet are too far forward - draw your feet back under your CM (or butt). There are others more qualified than me to help you out and I wish they would join this thread.

Like Bob Peters said you are a good skier and a little help can go a long way with someone your level.

Hope to see you at the next Phil fest. It's better to talk about this stuff on the hill.
post #36 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post
You dont???!!!!:

His best skiing is just as he leaves the rock band...at the start of the run, where he looks "fresh" it is also the steepest part of the run....the worst skiing is as he goes by camera, near the end of the run...

his skiing gets progressivley worse as makes his way down the hill, yet the run is getting less steep...he blames it on the snow.....but i have seen this way too many times....fitness fitness fitness.
I hear you about being in shape. I do need to be in better shape. However, I was in pretty good shape for both of those clips, and was not particularly winded after making 12 turns. After I stopped, I bent over to wipe something off my ski.....not keel over.
post #37 of 801
Were you being careful with your skis because you didn't want to "stone grind" them? Or not? If I was in those kind of conditions with snow that thin, I know I'd be thinking about that...
post #38 of 801
What is manky?:
post #39 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
What is manky?:
(British) inferior and worthless. Disintegrated Snow from warm temps. You know face shots from really soft snow.
post #40 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
Not necessarily, his conditioning might be an issue, but I can't tell from this video. Again, I don't want to be overly critical, but his technique is what is making him tired. He muscles his 'saves' (I do the same thing when I'm off). He is using strength instead of finesse. That makes you tired. His final few turns are not a product of fatigue so much as one of trying to regain fore/aft balance. One of his problems is transition from steep to flat. That is balance.

You are leaning back on the steep, your feet are too far forward - draw your feet back under your CM (or butt). There are others more qualified than me to help you out and I wish they would join this thread.

.
You are right...balance is the issue...so what is the correction? Staying in good balance is more efficient, but when skiing aggreesive lines, in an aggressive manner, you will get bent out of shape...to recover takes muscular effort...at speed and with forces, it takes considerable effort. When he gets in the backseat, he lacks the core strenght to get back in.

Have you seen the work-out routines done by top skiers? Why do you think they do that?

Telling this guy to get forward won't help...he is clearly capable of doing it..so why doesn't he? Somthing else is missing. That somthing is strength. Where that lack of strength is from fatigue or he is just a pussy and doesn't have it to begin with is hard to say....but either way he needs more to time in the gym to be the skier that he wants to be.
post #41 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
(British) inferior and worthless. Disintegrated Snow from warm temps. You know face shots from really soft snow.
Indubitably pitiful word, bloke!
post #42 of 801
Dang HS, you're a lot more polite here than over at TGR.
post #43 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Indubitably pitiful word, bloke!
I didn't know it was from British slang. The term is widely used by American skiers.
post #44 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
Anyway, it's very good skiing, especially considering your age. You've got a great base to build on.

Post more vids.

How old are you, HS?
post #45 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I didn't know it was from British slang. The term is widely used by American skiers.
I didn't either. I thought it was just another stupid skier word.
post #46 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post
I didn't know it was from British slang. The term is widely used by American skiers.
never heard it before. must not be an East Coast thing!
post #47 of 801
2 cents:
The vid through the trees looks good. The other one....not so much.

I've been trying to put my finger on what makes it look off. I see a DH specialist on a slalom course. It looks kind of like a z-turner, which you're not btw.
Why? Maybe I'm projecting here, I'm not really qualified in MA, but it looks to me that You are avoiding rocks and bare patches and have to jump up and reset edges to do so. It also looks like you are skiing too slowly, slower than you and those 88s would like to be skiing. In order to achieve these slow speeds, you are skiing accross the hill and turning right back across the hill quickly, hence the z-turns. I think If you wanted to look better you could keep your upper boddy faced more down the hill. I don't know how stiff those 88s are, but I think you could carve in that snow. That's what I would try to do if I were you, carve instead of jump turns. Of course I don't think I would risk the core shots speeding through that run with that little cover.
post #48 of 801
Out of shape:

Give... to me...a break! The vid lasts for 20 seconds. :
post #49 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post
You are right...balance is the issue...so what is the correction? Staying in good balance is more efficient, but when skiing aggreesive lines, in an aggressive manner, you will get bent out of shape...to recover takes muscular effort...at speed and with forces, it takes considerable effort. When he gets in the backseat, he lacks the core strenght to get back in.

Have you seen the work-out routines done by top skiers? Why do you think they do that?

Telling this guy to get forward won't help...he is clearly capable of doing it..so why doesn't he? Somthing else is missing. That somthing is strength. Where that lack of strength is from fatigue or he is just a pussy and doesn't have it to begin with is hard to say....but either way he needs more to time in the gym to be the skier that he wants to be.
Save your typing.....you are wrong in this case. I can easily recover from back seat. When that was taped, I was good enough shape to ski the OL rock line top to bottom.
post #50 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
I can easily recover from back seat. .
So why didn't you? Top to bottoms in the East are a joke...come to Whistler and try that on 5700ft of vertical.....you guys kill me. 20seconds vids? That is about the length used for "fun run" family day ski races...they are designed for couch potatoes......
post #51 of 801
I'm with alpinedad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
Really Until everybody on TGR started crawling up my ass about being in the back seat, I didn't even think that it was bad techinque (and still don't).
At the transition from steep to flat, the skis literally rocket away from you, precisely because you are in the back seat on the steep pitch. Whether or not you can recover you don't, choosing instead to ride the tails through the soft snow.

The voices are pretty unanimous.
post #52 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post
So why didn't you? Top to bottoms in the East are a joke...come to Whistler and try that on 5700ft of vertical.....you guys kill me. 20seconds vids? That is about the length used for "fun run" family day ski races...they are designed for couch potatoes......
Well that was a helpful post.
post #53 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post
So why didn't you? Top to bottoms in the East are a joke...come to Whistler and try that on 5700ft of vertical.....you guys kill me. 20seconds vids? That is about the length used for "fun run" family day ski races...they are designed for couch potatoes......
Too true. The runs out west are much easier, like distance running. We are doing wind-sprints here. Still I can't imagine being so out of shape that you get tired in 20 seconds, unless you're just comming off your chemo.
post #54 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
Not necessarily, his conditioning might be an issue, but I can't tell from this video. Again, I don't want to be overly critical, but his technique is what is making him tired. He muscles his 'saves' (I do the same thing when I'm off). He is using strength instead of finesse. That makes you tired. His final few turns are not a product of fatigue so much as one of trying to regain fore/aft balance. One of his problems is transition from steep to flat. That is balance.

HS, you should check my qualification under the MA qual thread. I'm not listed, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

You are leaning back on the steep, your feet are too far forward - draw your feet back under your CM (or butt). There are others more qualified than me to help you out and I wish they would join this thread.

Like Bob Peters said you are a good skier and a little help can go a long way with someone your level.

Hope to see you at the next Phil fest. It's better to talk about this stuff on the hill.
Paul, you are really making sense here, I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I would say I looked most uncomfortable right when I started jump turning...not back seat exactly, but too upright, with my weight on my heels, and blocky with my upperbody and torso. But keep in mind whats up there - rocks, etc. Once I get moving (after 3 turns or so), my weight comes foward and it's ok. To Ghost's point, I think those skis turn ok at slower speeds actually, making either a quick edge set or pivot/scarve.

Anyway, I just looked at the clip again on the camera, and compared it to the youtube clip. The video capture to the computer totally washes out the texture of the snow. To someone who hasn't seen the original, the youtube clip looks like I'm skiing some fairly flat, consistant, slightly icy snow (icier sound, really)....but it's actually much wetter, untracked, with very thin cover with lots of stuff sticking out and undulations from whatevers underneath, ie. rock. I do pick a very good line around a ton of stuff, all the way down, and make several distinct but fluid balance and line adjustments, turn shape changes, and the big weight shift to the rear when I hit the deeper snow. Thus, when you watch it without being able to see the snow, like on the youtube clip, you can't see what I'm working with, and it looks like I'm all over the place.

I'll have to get some frame grabs or a much better capture with some color correcton for you guys, because it is a good clip.
post #55 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I'm with alpinedad.



At the transition from steep to flat, the skis literally rocket away from you, precisely because you are in the back seat on the steep pitch. Whether or not you can recover you don't, choosing instead to ride the tails through the soft snow.

The voices are pretty unanimous.

Please. "Rocket away from me"???

Are you blind?

post #56 of 801
So you MEANT to do THAT?!
post #57 of 801
High Star,

you might want to take a look at the Thread on Bump Skiing. The discussion there has been real helpful to me. Much of what they are saying applies to you (us).

Your skis will turn fine in these conditions. And you are a fine skier as shown in the 2nd flick. There is so much to learn and getting better is a worthy goal to pursue. Glad you posted the footage, as they used to say.
post #58 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
never heard it before. must not be an East Coast thing!
Commonly used in my neck of the woods at times of the year. Later, RicB.
post #59 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
So you MEANT to do THAT?!
Look, He really didn't want any constructive criticism. He wanted to attempt to show off. which he failed at miserably. Those are 2 of the shortest worst skiing videos I have ever seen.

For godsake HS, post something that actually shows you skiing that we CAN see not a short class on hopping around an obstacle course.

But, that would mean we could actually see you ski and you would not have all these bogus excuses about rocks, stumps, bad snow and Oh yeah MANKY snow to blame this & that on.

Why would you post those pitiful videos in the first place. If that were me, I would have immediately erased them or stored them with my Paris Hilton collection! I certainly would be too embarassesd to post them here!
post #60 of 801
Ok I think we've(and TGR) beat up HS pretty good. However,HS shows a athletic backround and good recovery balance. With practice and the right training his skiing level will improve. My suggestion HS......slow down for awhile and work on your turns it your strong point.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Can I get some MA my epicski brothers!!! (video of Highway Star)