EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Gotamas: too fat for the east?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl Gotamas: too fat for the east? - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Thread Starter 
I'm leaning towards the Mantras now. I think the extra width in the Goats isn't necessary for my 3 weeks out west, and 4 days a week in the east. Hopefully I can get a good price on them.

Any binding reqs? I can get closeouts on last years Salomon if those would work.
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtran10 View Post
I'm leaning towards the Mantras now. I think the extra width in the Goats isn't necessary for my 3 weeks out west, and 4 days a week in the east. Hopefully I can get a good price on them.

Any binding reqs? I can get closeouts on last years Salomon if those would work.

Im leaning toward the Mantras too in 184, hopefully short enough for the trees and I think they should be wide enough. Ive got some questions though about the Mantras vs Seths vs Apache Chiefs vs Pocket Rockets etc... What are the differences or would I be just as happy with one over the other? Im not looking to carve, just looking for a ski wide enough to survive a trip out west and ski the trees at Jay and Stowe. Thanks guys for narrowing it down this far though, Whiteroom, X-E, etc... youre advice has been great
post #33 of 46
I'm 5'11", 185 and ski the 177 Mantra.

It got me through a week in Utah, 2 days at JH, and most of Tahoe/Mammoth during the spring.

Sorta wishing I'd bucked up to the 184, but the 177 has been pretty solid.

Only day it didn't cotton with me was a post-storm hardpacked powder day at Solitude where it skipped and skidded on the ice. Other than that, i've been happy with it. Great crud buster/corn ski/sun cup blaster, btw.
post #34 of 46
Thread Starter 
So I ordered the Mantra 177s today. I got Marker Ti 12.0 Free Wide Brake's.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtran10 View Post
So I ordered the Mantra 177s today. I got Marker Ti 12.0 Free Wide Brake's.
You got a good deal.
post #36 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
You got a good deal
I work in a shop.
post #37 of 46
Please don't post shop/pro form pricing please. Edit your post.
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
Please don't post shop/pro form pricing please. Edit your post.
????????
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180 View Post
????????
It's not cool to post proform prices. It's "Double Secret" and if it is abused it will go away. Back in the old days it was better than it is now, but it gets abused.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
It's not cool to post proform prices. It's "Double Secret" and if it is abused it will go away. Back in the old days it was better than it is now, but it gets abused.
Agreed and the prices were edited out. It is under the catagory of Gentleman do not kiss and tell. Please do not post pro-form pricing and benefits.
post #41 of 46
Is it not cool in the same way that it's not cool to reveal secret powder stashes? Or not cool in the sense that there have been legally binding contracts signed restricting the divulgence of this info?

I hope it's the latter, because, otherwise, cool or not, it's certainly not cool that that info should be arbitrarily removed by a moderator.
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
I hope it's the latter, because, otherwise, cool or not, it's certainly not cool that that info should be arbitrarily removed by a moderator.
It wasn't "arbitrarily" removed. There was a post report then it was discussed among the moderators and was removed. Proforms/ SEP's are an industry courtesy and a priviledge and it is an unwritten rule that there is no abuse and talk of what "form" prices are.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
It's not cool to post proform prices. It's "Double Secret" and if it is abused it will go away. Back in the old days it was better than it is now, but it gets abused.
But I gave myself the"double secrect handshake" before I asked where Jtran got them...
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
But I gave myself the"double secrect handshake" before I asked where Jtran got them...
If you do that too much you will go blind...or so I am told. I got Lasik .
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
it is an unwritten rule that there is no abuse and talk of what "form" prices are.
I don't get it. In this day and age, how hard would it be to make this unwritten rule a written one?

By the way, which forum rule specifically was violated? In my opinion, you would have been better off trying to gently persuade the poster to remove the price via PM than to take a heavy-handed approach.

EDIT: I apologize for not putting the above in a PM...in clear violation of the forum guidelines, which I should have actually taken the time to read before I posted. I blame my crankiness on long-term ski deprivation. You would have thought my swap-sale purchase today of some slalom race skis would have lightened my mood, but even though the practical side of my brain said it was the smart decision, what I really want are fat skis. At pro form prices! (Just kidding.)
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
I don't get it. In this day and age, how hard would it be to make this unwritten rule a written one?

By the way, which forum rule specifically was violated? In my opinion, you would have been better off trying to gently persuade the poster to remove the price via PM than to take a heavy-handed approach.
Adam,

No forum rules were broken, the 'un written' rule that was broked was an industry rule. If the member was on line he would have been contacted.

Any futher discussion about this, since we have drifted way off topic of the origonal thread, should be discussed via PM or a thread report.

Phil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Gotamas: too fat for the east?