New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Glove recommendations

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am on a search for some warm, not too bulky gloves, and as form fitting fingers as possible as I access my pockets fairly regularly. Currenlty I have the Head ones from Costco, but my fingers get really cold in almost any temperature. I have searched the forum and have seen some that look nice. I liked the Hestra XCR glove, but an not sure how warm it is. I would like to have some other options in that style too. I would like them to be a more standard color (ie black, grey, white, any combination there of) Price is not a big concern, but I do not want to spend more than $175 per pair as I will be buying 2.

Thanks for your advice.
post #2 of 22
If your hands are that cold, you need to consider mittens with an under glove of that light reflective material ..... I just call them "Michael Jackson" gloves.

For that matter, how do you get a gloved hand into a pocket? You could with those light weight thingies slipped out of a mitten, with no problem.

My Au Clair golves aren't that warm .... Reusch, a bit warmer .... my favorites are the Leki for warmth and great soft leather feel.

The Au Clair mittens are OK with the under glove for the really cold stuff.

One of my co-workers is... "Mr. Cold Fingers" ..... always moaning till he switched to mitts with the light reflectives.
post #3 of 22
Hestra is at the very top in quality and durability. They make the gloves for the Swedish Army and Swedes know something about cold weather. However, if you really haver problems with cold hands I would think about doing what Yuki suggests.
post #4 of 22
I've used Hestra gloves and mitts for the last 10 years. They are warm (and the quality is superb) But of course, gloves will never be as warm as mittens. I currently use a 3-finger which is a compromise between the two. Some dexterity without separating all 5 fingers.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by torfinn View Post
I've used Hestra gloves and mitts for the last 10 years. They are warm (and the quality is superb) But of course, gloves will never be as warm as mittens. I currently use a 3-finger which is a compromise between the two. Some dexterity without separating all 5 fingers.
Yeah, and chicks really dig that alien/lobster 3 finger look!!

jamesgig, you should be able to find what you need in here...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2...-and-Hats.html

I just bought the cloudveil troller gloves (on page 3) and they seem to fit the bill with what you're looking for (and they're only $40)....4 or 5 hestra options too, depending on your size.
post #6 of 22
Warm glove is an oxymoron.
post #7 of 22
Hestra's are nice, but I think Cloudveil's are the best. The troller glove is really warm, almost as much as their mittens. My brother has the chopper and my friend has the enclosure and they love 'em. As a poster said above the troller glove doesn't really break the bank, then again none of the above gloves are close to $175...

Cloudveil makes a lot of gloves, check out their site.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
If your hands are that cold, you need to consider mittens with an under glove of that light reflective material ..... I just call them "Michael Jackson" gloves.

For that matter, how do you get a gloved hand into a pocket? You could with those light weight thingies slipped out of a mitten, with no problem.

My Au Clair golves aren't that warm .... Reusch, a bit warmer .... my favorites are the Leki for warmth and great soft leather feel.

The Au Clair mittens are OK with the under glove for the really cold stuff.

One of my co-workers is... "Mr. Cold Fingers" ..... always moaning till he switched to mitts with the light reflectives.
I also have the Costco Head gloves, and they're about as warm as any glove. There are gloves that are warmer, but not by much. Do your hands sweat, maybe that's the problem.
otherwise, I was thinking the same as Yuki, think mittens with a liner and hand warmers. And go to a doctor and get your circulation checked...
post #9 of 22
I'm a big fan of Grandoe gloves and have been ever since I "borrowed" my first pair from the lost and found bin.

I recommend the CGS (component glove system) gloves.
They come with a removable (zip in/out) liner.

I rarely use the liners except on the coldest of cold days. Best yet, after seasons of use, they still don't smell like bad cheese!!!!

Good Luck,

Doug
post #10 of 22
Black Diamond "Patrol" are the best I have ever had.
post #11 of 22
I love my Marmot randonee gloves for the past 5 years. I have never had cold fingers in them. They are very warm.

My less severe weather gloves are Cloudveil snaz gloves. Also very warm, but not as warm. But Cloudveil does make warmer gloves.
post #12 of 22
I'm picking up some Burtons. I tried them on and love the fit.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
It seems that almost every major brand has a glove that would work for me. So I will just have to go try them all on.

I did consider mittens, but they seemed too restrictive.
post #14 of 22
The warmest gloves I've had have been the ones that Yuki dislikes. I currently have Auclairs, and have had many Reusch's. They are bulky, but once you get used to that feel, in my experience, you don't want to let it go. The problem with the leather racing gloves is that they are not remotely waterproof.
post #15 of 22
I have a pair of Drop gloves (cloth with rubber palms) that came with a liner and a pocket to insert a heat pad or to vent, they are very warm, great gloves. On the other hand my Reusch samurai race gloves (all leather) are about as cold as a glove can get, they look cool but suck for cold weather or all day skiing.
post #16 of 22
I agree a warm glove is an oxymoron. However a very convenient, dry glove is the thinsulate deerskin/goretex work gloves from cabelas. Check 'em out patrollers. on sale now for a whopping 25 bucks. (they run big, order a size down.) I order two pair every year.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
I love my Marmot randonee gloves for the past 5 years. I have never had cold fingers in them. They are very warm.

My less severe weather gloves are Cloudveil snaz gloves. Also very warm, but not as warm. But Cloudveil does make warmer gloves.
The Marmot Randonee was my favorite glove also, but the Costco/Head glove Jamesgig mentioned is very close and a quarter the price. I own both....
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
I have a pair of Drop gloves (cloth with rubber palms) that came with a liner and a pocket to insert a heat pad or to vent, they are very warm, great gloves. On the other hand my Reusch samurai race gloves (all leather) are about as cold as a glove can get, they look cool but suck for cold weather or all day skiing.
Interesting, that is totally contrary to my experience. My race gloves are FAR warmer than any of the thinner synthetic gloves I have ever tried.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Lots of options. They all seem like great gloves, now only to choose one. It may take a while as there are no ski shops near my house, but I will get there. Thanks for the advice.
post #20 of 22
Many people consider the Black Diamond Guide Glove to be one of the warmest gloves around. It is the warmest glove Black Diamond makes and it is still pretty flexible.

I am planning on buying this glove this year, as my fingers FREEZE on those really cold days. I tried them on at REI and they seem very nice. If anyone has had a bad experience with this glove, please speak up. Otherwise, I'm buying them!!

Thanks.
post #21 of 22
Check out Cabela's Pinnacle glove (item # KT-92-1919, www.cabelas.com or 800-237-4444). It comes in sizes up to 2XL if you want to wear liners inside it. $50. Gore-Tex with a deerskin palm.
post #22 of 22
Here's my review of the very warm (but expensive) Outdoor Research Super Coulier glove.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=35830
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion