EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Skis for Wife - Balanze B7 or Rossi B2W??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skis for Wife - Balanze B7 or Rossi B2W??

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well I am going to buy a new pair of skis for my wife in the next week or so, and could use some opinions on 2 somewhat different "style" skis that I am looking at (sidecuts anyway).

First off, she is 115 lbs and 5'2 in very good shape. She is mostly an on-piste skier at an intermediate/low advanced level and skis a 70 flex boot. We are looking for a ski that is very easy to initiate, stable, and will help improve her skiing on "non-groomed" runs. She does mostly blue/black runs (about 50/50).

The skis I have narrowed our choices down to are:

1. Atomic Balanze B:74
2. Rossignol Bandit B2W
3. Salomon Siam 8

I am looking for a medium stiff ski, hence why we chose these "mid-range" models. We have skied stiffer performance skis in the past, and are looking at stepping back a bit, so please no recommedations for expert skis please :-)

I am kind of leaning towards the Atomic Balance due to shorter turning radius (on paper anyway), but was wondering from those who skied the B2W what they were like for short quick turns???

Any inputs on experiences (**especially from female skiers) would be helpful.

Thanks - First post of many to come!!
post #2 of 14
My wife has a pair of B2W's and she's very happy with them. They are her all-mountain skis. For quick, short turns she's riding her Völkl Attiva 5 stars.
post #3 of 14
My wife has two models: K2 Phat Luv and Dynastar 4800.

Maybe your wife would demo some this winter before she buys.
post #4 of 14
My wife also has the B2W and she loves them. They helped her skiing progress tremendously last season to where she is comfortable in all but the worst conditions.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
OK, I think we have it narrowed down to 2 skis that she is going to demo shortly:

1. Rossignol bandit B2W
2. Solomon Siam 8 (and 10)

So here is where it gets interesting .... on paper, she really likes the Salomon Siam Limited Edition 10, because they have purple flowers that match her ski jacket (every guy reading this is rolling their eyes about now).

I am a little concerned that the ski might be too stiff for her as she is short and lightweight. Any women out there who have ridden both the Siam 8 and 10's and can comment on the feel of each (and please no comments on the flowers) . The '07 Siam 10 also has a WOOD core, so I am not sure how different it would feel compared to the 8 series.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokes View Post
Well I am going to buy a new pair of skis for my wife in the next week or so, and could use some opinions on 2 somewhat different "style" skis that I am looking at (sidecuts anyway).

First off, she is 115 lbs and 5'2 in very good shape. She is mostly an on-piste skier at an intermediate/low advanced level and skis a 70 flex boot. We are looking for a ski that is very easy to initiate, stable, and will help improve her skiing on "non-groomed" runs. She does mostly blue/black runs (about 50/50).

The skis I have narrowed our choices down to are:

1. Atomic Balanze B:74
2. Rossignol Bandit B2W
3. Salomon Siam 8

I am looking for a medium stiff ski, hence why we chose these "mid-range" models. We have skied stiffer performance skis in the past, and are looking at stepping back a bit, so please no recommedations for expert skis please :-)
My wife just purchased the Siam 8. The short list came down to the B2w, Balanze B11 and the Siam 8. She didn't want to do the demo process, so I did tons of homework.

She wanted a ski that had the same turning radius (and shape) as my Metron 9 and the Siam 8 is nearly the same whereas the B2w has a somewhat larger turning radius. Depends on what you want. So the B2w was out.

The Balanze is a Metron 9 with different graphics and a lighter, more forward mounted binding.

What sold her on the Siam 8 was that it is a softer ski than the Balanze and......... had better graphics. :

She is a level 7 skier, with a recovering knee and the idea of a ski that is less work and is easier to initiate turns with is what sold her. She was looking for a ski that could work well off piste even though her focus is on the groomers.

IMO the B2w is another good choice in the medium stiff range. And yes the Siam 10 will be stiffer than the 8. (and personally, I think the graphics on the 8 are better than the 10 )
post #7 of 14
My wife skis the Balanze in heavier snow and likes them, she prefers her atomic sx9 on piste when snow is more packed.
post #8 of 14

A Wrench in it!

Perhaps a though --

if you are bargain hunting (and who isn't?) look at www.steepandcheap.com and buy the tele version of the K2 T:9 luv. My wife's sister has skiied both, and she says they are very similar, but the tele version is slightly stiffer. You could get the ski plus a regular apline binding for under 260 if you play it right.

The dimensions are 112/70/98 and it seems like a good deal for the type of ski you're looking for.

Good luck!
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
She didn't want to do the demo process, so I did tons of homework.
: : :

How can anyone NOT want to demo skis???? It's soooo much fun, and it assures that you'll get the right skis for you with no guess work. I think it's even more important for women and intermediate skiers because they seem to be the most affected by equipment issues.

We plan at least one day just for demos every year, even when we aren't looking to buy new skis....it's great to just know what's out there. We even try stuff we think we'll hate and have regulary been very pleasantly surprised!

I hope she likes her skis, though.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
: : :

How can anyone NOT want to demo skis???? It's soooo much fun, and it assures that you'll get the right skis for you with no guess work. I think it's even more important for women and intermediate skiers because they seem to be the most affected by equipment issues.


I hope she likes her skis, though.
Thanks!

I agree about demoing. That's how I found my Metron 9. I had no clue that the Metron was such a good ski for me until I demoed.

Fact is that my wife thinks demoing is a hassle, with all the returning to the resort shop and walking back and forth. Once she hits the slopes she doesn't want to stop every half hour to return to the shop.

I also picked her last pair for the same reason. They worked out very well. They were '04 K2 T Nine Spires.
post #11 of 14
Why not have your wife do the foot work...have her on and state her ski needs...we also could use more women on site..

PS
wife has atomic balaze 11 and she love em
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokes View Post
OK, I think we have it narrowed down to 2 skis that she is going to demo shortly:

1. Rossignol bandit B2W
2. Solomon Siam 8 (and 10)

So here is where it gets interesting .... on paper, she really likes the Salomon Siam Limited Edition 10, because they have purple flowers that match her ski jacket (every guy reading this is rolling their eyes about now).

I am a little concerned that the ski might be too stiff for her as she is short and lightweight. Any women out there who have ridden both the Siam 8 and 10's and can comment on the feel of each (and please no comments on the flowers) . The '07 Siam 10 also has a WOOD core, so I am not sure how different it would feel compared to the 8 series.
I'm coming into this late but here are a few observations. Your initial list was for three very different skis. The B:7.4 is a very narrow waisted carver at the intemediate level. The B2W is much wider and very straight and is at it's best on softer surfaces. It is an advanced level ski. The Siam 8 is a blend of the two. Ie: it is a wider bodied ski but with a big shape. As such, it combines some of the benefits of the Balanze and some of the benefits of the B2W.

I think the Siam 10 is a bit more powerful than your wife needs. It is a very good ski, but is somewhat stiffer than necessary for her. Don't worry about the core. In this application it does not matter at all.

I'd offer you this suggestion. Have your wife go to the link that I'm posting below and she can post a question to Katherine. She is my right hand in my ski department and has tested all the higher end women's skis including the last two you are considering. She also writes reviews and is my best women's boot fitter.

Katherine (or ski girl) is online 5 days a week at our site answering questions.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum...pics.asp?FID=4

SJ
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
Thanks!

I agree about demoing. That's how I found my Metron 9. I had no clue that the Metron was such a good ski for me until I demoed.

Fact is that my wife thinks demoing is a hassle, with all the returning to the resort shop and walking back and forth. Once she hits the slopes she doesn't want to stop every half hour to return to the shop.

I also picked her last pair for the same reason. They worked out very well. They were '04 K2 T Nine Spires.
My wife is the same way . I am trying to convince her to demo, but she is already "set" in her mind that she wants the Salomon. Plus. IMO its hard to get a true feel for skis unless you have had a chance to experience them in a wide array of conditions. For instance the conditions THAT DAY might not be reflective of the conditions most days. What she is worried about is buying the skis that happen to feel best in early season conditions (cause that is when she would demo), whereas that might now be reflective of regular season conditions (see what I mean??). I kind of agree to some extent, so we may just end up buying the Siam 8's.

Still looking for some input from anybody who has skied both though?? Noticeable stiffness increase from the 8's to the 10's????:
post #14 of 14
Vokes:

I have skied both and the difference is not as much in the stiffness as in the shape. The Siam 10 is narrower @ tip and tail but the same in the waist. The straighter shape makes the 10 feel like it's natural turn shape is a little more gee-essy. The deeper shape of the Siam 8 makes it turnier and better for someone who is concerned about making lots of turns.

Sorry, you misseds Katherine on our site. She was off yesterday and today. Here is a link to my full review of the Siam 7 and 10 from '05-'06 they are the same skis this year.

http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/4,839.htm

SJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Skis for Wife - Balanze B7 or Rossi B2W??