or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mantra vs. Gotama: which is better in the bumps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mantra vs. Gotama: which is better in the bumps?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I know neither is a bump ski but they are both skis I'm considering. I'm 5'7" 150lbs level 8-9 and would like to have a wider ski for softer western snow. I understand the Mantra has more sidecut and has metal (worse for bumps) but is narrower underfoot than the Gotama (possibly quicker). The Gotama is straighter and does not have metal (better for bumps) but is wider underfoot (possibly slower). Any thoughts on which skis better in the bumps?
post #2 of 15
Uhhmmm...Neither.

It's like asking which Monster Truck is easiest to parallel park. Skiing bumps is all about skier ability, a really good skier can ski on anything, but no one in their right mind would consider the Mantra (the better choice of these two) a 'good' mogul ski.

Both these skis are specialized tools and adding in a criteria outside of their area of use is well...wrong.

Buy them for what they do well, powder and Big Mt. The Gotama is awsome in deep snow and has a surfy feel (also more sidecut this year) the Mantra is better on firmer snow and mixed snow conditions and has a racier feel it's also more versatile and will be 'better' in bumps. By better I mean not as absolutely horrible as the Gotama.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosper View Post
I know neither is a bump ski but they are both skis I'm considering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
Uhhmmm...Neither.

It's like asking which Monster Truck is easiest to parallel park......
:

It seemed pretty clear to me that prosper wants the soft snow abilities of a fatty but would lean more toward the one that is more versatile when things get bumped up and is well aware of their shortcomings. For wide skis, Prosper, these are both nice medium flexing pleasant easy turners with broad performance ranges - so they will both treat you better than the average fatty in bumps. If you ski at an area that tends to have firmer snow or you ski bumps on purpose and like to zipper then lean toward the mantra...or if you get more soft snow and the bumps are softer and not as prevalent then maybe lean toward the gotama. The gots ski short too so a 183 got might actually be quicker and easier in bumps than, say, the 184 mantra. Also, if you already have a more narrow ski for firmer bumpy days maybe lean toward more soft snow performance to round out the quiver better.

For reference, what ski are you on now and how do you like it? and where do you ski?
post #4 of 15
My opinion is that it is almost a toss up. The Mantra has more shape, but to an extent, that is almost a handicap in bumps as it is a little less skiddable. The Goat is of course, wider, but with the short running surface and less shape is skids easier.

If forced at gunpoint to ski bumps on one or t'other, I'd choose the Goat and hope for the best.

SJ
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-EastCoaster View Post
:
For reference, what ski are you on now and how do you like it? and where do you ski?
I currently ski on a 168cm Atomic R:Ex (83cm underfoot) and ski western resorts (JH, Snowbird, Alta, Squaw) on 4-7 day trips planned long in advance. I really like the R:Ex and can actually ski a pretty decent line in the bumps with them considering they're a pretty stiff ski and as long as I stay forward. I like shorter to medium size turns at moderate to moderately high speeds so purposely got the R:Ex a little shorter but a 168cm for me who's 5'7" isn't really all that short. I'd like a ski with a bit more float but one that's also still pretty versatile.

I got to demo a 170cm Mantra last year at Wolf Creek in about 12" new. I really liked it. A bit damper than the R:Ex and still relatively quick for a wider ski but, as expected, not as quick as my thinner waisted R:Ex. I didn't really get to ski them in moguls but they were great for all the fresh and crud. They felt pretty good on the groomed run outs as well. They're probably equally as demanding as the R:Ex. Overall, compared to the R:Ex the Mantras felt a bit less responsive, we're better in the powder and crud, not a quick edge to edge and probably performed about the same on groomers.

If I were to get the Mantras I probably sacrifice a bit of float for quickness and get the 170cm. I've never been on the Gotamas but would probably be most interested in the 168cm for the same reason. I'd certainly demo if I can find them. Any additional thoughts?
post #6 of 15
Mantra 170cm.
post #7 of 15
I agree with sierra jim as far as bumps go so why not go for the better soft snow performance? Since you already have the R:ex for firm days and bumps I'd recommed the 176 gotama as a better compliment. It'll take a couple of days to get used to the width but after that you'll have a blast in anything soft - and don't worry about the length, they ski very short AND you want your pow ski to be a little longer.

We're splitting hairs though - both of these (and many others that weren't listed) would be great.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosper View Post
I currently ski on a 168cm Atomic R:Ex (83cm underfoot) and ski western resorts (JH, Snowbird, Alta, Squaw) on 4-7 day trips planned long in advance. I really like the R:Ex and can actually ski a pretty decent line in the bumps with them considering they're a pretty stiff ski and as long as I stay forward. I like shorter to medium size turns at moderate to moderately high speeds so purposely got the R:Ex a little shorter but a 168cm for me who's 5'7" isn't really all that short. I'd like a ski with a bit more float but one that's also still pretty versatile.

I got to demo a 170cm Mantra last year at Wolf Creek in about 12" new. I really liked it. A bit damper than the R:Ex and still relatively quick for a wider ski but, as expected, not as quick as my thinner waisted R:Ex. I didn't really get to ski them in moguls but they were great for all the fresh and crud. They felt pretty good on the groomed run outs as well. They're probably equally as demanding as the R:Ex. Overall, compared to the R:Ex the Mantras felt a bit less responsive, we're better in the powder and crud, not a quick edge to edge and probably performed about the same on groomers.

If I were to get the Mantras I probably sacrifice a bit of float for quickness and get the 170cm. I've never been on the Gotamas but would probably be most interested in the 168cm for the same reason. I'd certainly demo if I can find them. Any additional thoughts?
As an owner of 183 Got's for the past few seasons and 184 R:EX's for a few more, I'd take my Got's into the bumps before the R:EX's...And if you want a western soft snow ski that still does bumps, there are much better than either the Gotama or Mantra. Scratch BC's, Salomon 1080 Gun's/PR's, Seth's, all come to mind. Also, in response to my R:EX comment above, they are lousy bump skis and I suspect you like/tolerate them in the bumps is due to the shorter length you ride, as an R:EX in the 177 would have been my pick for someone your size and stated ability (8-9).
post #9 of 15
Depends on the snow and the bumps.
post #10 of 15
I have Mantras, don't have Gotama. When the skiing turns to bumps and hard conditions, I go get a shorter skinny ski, or start traversing or hiking for fresher snow. I don't have an ideal bump ski and can take Mantras through bumps when necessary, but not all day. They work pretty well in soft bumps, but I get tossed in the bigger stuff. Probably the pilot.
post #11 of 15
Something I discovered with my R:EXs that would probably help with the Mantas is a moveable binding. I bought a used pair of the Atomics from a friend who thought they were too long. After much experimentation with the bindings that have about 1.5 cm of movement I discovered they are great for big carving, crud and powder when the bindings are set back a little, but they sucked in the bumps, but by moving the bindings about 1/2 cm forward they make pretty passable bump skis. Not a solution for going from one to the other condition on the same run, but if you only have one pair of skis and are skiing powder or crud one day and hard bumps another, it would move the Mantras towards being more of an all-around ski.
post #12 of 15
I ski my Gotamas(183) in bumps all the time when i get going to fast I go into grasshopper mode and see how many I can clear at a time doubling or tripling them. It aint easy but its sure is fun.

I would compare the mantra i skied to them but the mantras were 177s and yes they were easyier but there is big length difference there.

either can be skied in bumps and arent that bad but again these are huge skis that either dedicated powder skis(much of the bears use these just dedicated pow skis) or everyday skis for the younger bears(or young at heart) and the Mags. I literally ski my goats almost everyday regardless of conditions they are just fun and work in all conditions and good to great to awesome depending on how soft, cruddy or deep it is, more so the better.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
As an owner of 183 Got's for the past few seasons and 184 R:EX's for a few more, I'd take my Got's into the bumps before the R:EX's...And if you want a western soft snow ski that still does bumps, there are much better than either the Gotama or Mantra. Scratch BC's, Salomon 1080 Gun's/PR's, Seth's, all come to mind. Also, in response to my R:EX comment above, they are lousy bump skis and I suspect you like/tolerate them in the bumps is due to the shorter length you ride, as an R:EX in the 177 would have been my pick for someone your size and stated ability (8-9).
hmmm....for me the 184 R:ex was by far the best bump ski I've owned in a long time - problem was they didn't have enough heft for anything else so I switched to an iM85 as my firm snow/bump/spring ski...

...just goes to show you how differently a ski can be perceived by different skiers....and Phil is right a lot depends on what kind of bumps (and snow and terrain and style and skill level) we're talking about....so take our internet advice for what it is.

Even though I completely disagree with Bandit Man's assessment of the volkls in bumps vs those other skis - those other skis are mighty fine options and could be looked at too....

..problem with the seth and scratch bc though is that you'd be kind of between lengths (169/179 & 171/178 respectively). I think you'll find the same thing with the Mantra with the 170/177 (I'd recommend sacking up and get the 177 and grow into it). The PR/Gun would be an nice easier option in a 175. If you want to step it up to a bit more of a ripper but still want a quick edge-to-edge ski, take a look at the 176 mojo 90. If you want a nice soft snow compliment to the R:ex that is still very quick and agile for a fatty then I still say the 176 gotama is a great way to go.

There's more too (174 K2 Apache Chief, 173 Sugar Daddy) and some older models you could find used on ebay for quite cheap.

Again all of these are great options, just stick to a softish to medium flexing, 90-105 waist ski , low 170s length with a flat tail, a bit longer with a twin tip.
post #14 of 15
Have the Mantra, have skied an older Goat. Mantra is significantly quicker edge to edge, much easier to handle in trees/soft bumps that you're likely to find backside. Tradeoff of course is less float...
post #15 of 15
The mantra has more sidecut? almost length for length between the gotama and the mantra they're virtually identical. mid 70's= 23m; mid 80's= 25m The mantra has a narrower waist but also a narrower tail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mantra vs. Gotama: which is better in the bumps?