EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › what's your wet weather riding gear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what's your wet weather riding gear?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
i'm looking at some waterproof/breathable top and pants, and "J&G cyclewear" (oregon) seems to have some quality stuff. i'm sure the bigger-name manufacturers will too.

just curious what you go with.

my starting point: http://www.bicycleapparel.com/rain.html
post #2 of 16
I was riding a Columbia Titanium shell with Bellwether shorts.
post #3 of 16
Rain?
My Bikes?
No Way!
I don't even like taking my car out in the rain! :
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonissimo View Post
Rain?
My Bikes?
No Way!
I don't even like taking my car out in the rain! :
You Porsche people are the biggest bunch of wussies!
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviaman View Post
You Porsche people are the biggest bunch of wussies!
You should meet the BMW M people or the Ferrari people, even worse.
post #6 of 16
Ferrari people are the WORST.
post #7 of 16

On topic,

Kucharik microfiber jacket.
MEC Venturi tights.
Uvex Falcon.
ZEUS cap.
fenders.
post #8 of 16
Depends. (no, not the undergarments for old people with bladder issues). If I'm MTBing, I wear my regular MTB shorts and shirt. I'm gonna get dirty and wet, and I don't want 10 lbs of wet, muddy clothes on me. I just bring a towel and change of clothes for after the ride. Part of the fun of MTBing is getting muddy.

On my roadie, if it's just a light rain, I'll wear a light rain jacket (funny how that works) and bike shorts. If it's really raining hard, I'll wear a foul weather jacket from my sailing days. But again, I just wear bike shorts.
post #9 of 16
I for one will not ride if it is actually raining. I will ride if there is a threat of rain and take my chances. No special clothes since I don't plan rain rides. My technical clothing keeps me OK. Major issue is my glasses and the lack of clear visability due to rain on lenzes.

I am planning to do a supported tour next summer and it could rain. In that case, I will get some gear that will work for riding in the rain. But for every day stuff, I don't care. I get wet for two or three hours. I go home and get dry and warm. Simple as that. I have a rain/winter bike. So no issue.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
I am planning to do a supported tour next summer and it could rain. In that case, I will get some gear that will work for riding in the rain.
exactly why i'm gonna finally grab some weather gear.

next spring's schedule:

http://www.planetultra.com/KOM/index.html

the first ride is in april, a pretty reliable rain month here.

the last two rides of that series have been known to find snow still on the ground.

my girlfriend just moved up to the base of the san gabriels, in la crescenta. pretty much right at the front door to angeles crest hwy., big tujunga rd., and the national forest. so, no excuses for not being climbing-ready.




this biking thing has got me by the lycra.

i figure by the time that "50+" category applies (and it's approaching like a meteor), i'll have some of this stuff sorted out.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
exactly why i'm gonna finally grab some weather gear.

next spring's schedule:

http://www.planetultra.com/KOM/index.html

the first ride is in april, a pretty reliable rain month here.

the last two rides of that series have been known to find snow still on the ground.

my girlfriend just moved up to the base of the san gabriels, in la crescenta. pretty much right at the front door to angeles crest hwy., big tujunga rd., and the national forest. so, no excuses for not being climbing-ready..
Doesn't rain much in the LA area, but you may want to acclimate to the smog. It's rough on the lungs if you are a heavy breather.

People in LA don't feel comfortable if they can't see the air they breathe.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

kind of like...

purging.

wasn't it.

admit it, you DO feel better now.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
Major issue is my glasses and the lack of clear visability due to rain on lenzes.
Turn the cap visor down. Surplus patrol caps have larger visors but get a little hotter.

Headset seal covers are kinda nice.

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

too ugly, don't look.

too much smog, too much rain...

from the redlands classic

http://www.veloallegro.org/content/p...01-a-b/01b.jpg
post #15 of 16
I use my latest new toy for the rain:
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 

full disclosure

TO NEW TOYS!

prolly shoulda been the subtitle to this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › what's your wet weather riding gear?