New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New carving skis?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Alright so its almost that time again, ski gear buying time. Ive been out of tune with the ski market for a while, so bring me back up to speed with a few suggestsions. Heres what i want

So i already have a pair of K2 PE's, used extensivly in the park, as of now they are my only pair of real skis. Being a park ski they dont really have edges, and they dont really turn sharply, or work on ice...at all. So this year, i want a pair of skis that do what the PE's dont. A bit of all mountain versatility would be good, But i have the PE's for anything thats not groomed. These skis will be used primarily in the great midwest.

Thanks for your help with my vauge description
post #2 of 26
I will beat the lovers to the punchline...Fisher RX-8 and Head i-Supershapes
post #3 of 26
Volkl Allstars , 5 Stars. Fischer RX/9. Atomic SX series with the B-5 11,10, 9,s

What is your basic skill level? If you like deeper snow I would think you get around pretty well on the gromers/hard surfaces.

Do a search on these suggestions.
I love the Alllstar as an all -around /hard surface ski.
The Fischers do this well also and the Atomics have a ski for everybody
post #4 of 26
Consider the RX6 as a best buy.

Michael
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
I will beat the lovers to the punchline...Fisher RX-8 and Head i-Supershapes
Phil just ended the thread.

For the midwest get a higher end recreational SL or cheater GS ski depending on your preferred turn radius. You want something 65-70mm underfoot with a turn radius of 11-16m.
post #6 of 26
I would try out some of the following.
for higher speeds: Atomic SX11 or SX B5, Fischer WC SC or RC.
I personally would pass on SX10 and below.

For almost all speeds: RX8. Ellan S12. I also don't see any reason to go lower than RX8 in the Fischer line and Ellan S12 in their line.

For speeds below about 45-50, Solomon Equipe SC; It's a great quick read-your-mind precise turn machine. I havent tried the LR version of the Equipe. The Equipe requires some skill if you don't want to overload it. The SX11 requires some skill if you don't want it to overload you.

OR, you may enjoy a GS race ski; it's a matter of personal taste.

Probably a lot more good ones out there. I have yet to try them all.
post #7 of 26
Buy my volkl superspeeds. One hell of a carving ski.


http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=42846


I will also say that you should take the time to sharpen your edges on the pistols. I know rails destroy edges, but sharp edges are pretty much mandatory for skiing pipe. You still might want to get some carving sticks, since the pistols don't really have a carving "shape" but thats just my two cents.
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Wow thanks for all the replies so early in the season... This is really helpful now, because to be albe to afford things like this i gotta go bargin hunting early.
The skis on my list right now are Fischer RX-8, Volkl superspots, And maybe some Atomics.
Oh and i consider myself a 'good' skiier at least as midwest standards go...
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies so early in the season... This is really helpful now, because to be albe to afford things like this i gotta go bargin hunting early.
The skis on my list right now are Fischer RX-8, Volkl superspots, And maybe some Atomics.
Oh and i consider myself a 'good' skiier at least as midwest standards go...
The Head i.SuperShape should be on that list. Try the 165 or 170.
post #10 of 26
Go here and click buy.

I am in no way afiliated with that site either... they just happen to have some rediculous end of season deals on some of the hottest skis from last season. The ripstick is one of those skis. It is constructed just like the Elan race skis, but is made slightly softer. The radius falls in between slalom and giant slalom so you get the versatility to make any turn shape you want. For the price I don't think you will find a better ski (unless you can find any of the previously mentioned skis with bindings for that price). Any of the skis that have been mentioned so far will be great, but if your eye is set on saving money then the Ripstick might be a good palce to start looking.
Later
GREG
post #11 of 26
Disclaimer: I am an Elan fanatic. Somebody earlier mentioned the Fusion S12, which is what I use. Short turns, long turns, slow, fast -- it just works. Unfortunately, it's not made anymore, having been replaced by the Speedwave series. There's one or two reviews here on Epic if you search for "speedwave".
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
Damn it Greg! That deal was way too good to pass up so I now have a pair @ 170cm comming to my house. Thanks for the heads up. Brand new RIPStick with Fusion Pro (DIN 4-11) bindings for $399 with free shipping.

I think these should work just fine for a "cheater" GS type ski to start club racing on combined with the SL:9 for slalom and Monster 88s for free-skiing. Starting to build a respectable quiver.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
So i already have a pair of K2 PE's, used extensivly in the park, as of now they are my only pair of real skis. Being a park ski they dont really have edges, and they dont really turn sharply, or work on ice...at all.
Not quite sure I follow, my PEs see a fair amount of use in both in the park and on some pretty rocky stuff and still rip up everything but ice with regular care.

But if yours are trashed, I liked the Volkl Allstar best followed by the RX8.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxjl View Post
Damn it Greg! That deal was way too good to pass up so I now have a pair @ 170cm comming to my house. Thanks for the heads up. Brand new RIPStick with Fusion Pro (DIN 4-11) bindings for $399 with free shipping.

I think these should work just fine for a "cheater" GS type ski to start club racing on combined with the SL:9 for slalom and Monster 88s for free-skiing. Starting to build a respectable quiver.
It sounds like you are building a more than respectable quiver! If I had $399 I would have a pair too. It's one of the best skis of it's kind out there - and I love the SLX Fusion... The Ripstick shares the same sidecut with the GSX Fusion but has less metal I think (thinner metal maybe?). Either way, you can't go wrong. This upcoming season my gf will be inheriting my last pair of SLX's and I will no longer be skiing on any Elan skis... a sad day indeed. I really enjoy them a lot.

Later

GREG
post #15 of 26
Listen to Dr. Phil, think 170 Supershape! If you have the technique and skills, you will be rewarded, The RX8's are also fantastic skis.

Phil- did you actually endorse a "head" product??? Am I winning you over or just wearing you down?
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
Listen to Dr. Phil,

Phil- did you actually endorse a "head" product??? Am I winning you over or just wearing you down?
Are we really willing to live with the ego boost that a title will bestow?:
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
Listen to Dr. Phil, think 170 Supershape! If you have the technique and skills, you will be rewarded, The RX8's are also fantastic skis.

Phil- did you actually endorse a "head" product??? Am I winning you over or just wearing you down?
Nah, I figures I would baffle them with bull.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
. The Ripstick shares the same sidecut with the GSX Fusion but has less metal I think (thinner metal maybe?).
I was told by an Elan rep that:

1) The Ripstick has only ONE layer of titanium and
2) Heavier skiers need 2 layers.

It's true. The forebody is far too soft for me. Felt like it wanted to fold up if I pressured the shovels.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
Nah, I figures I would baffle them with bull.
Brillianty done! You were right though
post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 
As of now the RX 8's are winning, because of that awsome $500 with binding shiped deal. Is there a place where i can ge the same deal on the Heads?
Edit: What size should i look for in the RX 8 Im 6'1" like 150 pounds, i ski the PE's in 169, and i think 170 would be a good size for the RX 8's, or 165?
post #21 of 26
Have you considered the Atomic IZOR 9:7.
post #22 of 26
Here are 3 places, (for SuperShapes) all about 600 plus bindings.

The 8's are awesome skis, get em', ski em' enjoy em'! Buy them today, now, right now! You need them......

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/mercha...roduct_Count=3

http://www.untracked.com/lr-Froogle-h-175940

http://www.coloradoskioutlet.com/item1958.htm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Are we really willing to live with the ego boost that a title will bestow?:
yikes, your right! I was just picking up on the other thread where the endearment was used. I think we may have changed the course of the universe, and not for good......
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
It's one of the best skis of it's kind out there - and I love the SLX Fusion...
If I like these Ripsticks as much as I expect too, the SLX Fusion is a ski I will be very interested in trying out. Particularly if it performs well in resort all-mountain conditions like the SuperShape. If I am skiing with my girlfriend, which I am doing more of as she improves, I prefer to be on slalom skis but then need those skis to hold up well when I am off on my own later. Switching skis usually isn't an option.

The SuperShape and Metron B5 are the only two skis I have been on thus far that I think would perform this task well enough to make me consider upgrading the SL:9. Most the others have either been too demanding or about the same performance level anyway. That's asking a lot really because the SL:9 is a great ski for that purpose and I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it. Considering that I only spent $295 for them after buying new bindings, thats one hell of a deal.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
As of now the RX 8's are winning, because of that awsome $500 with binding shiped deal. Is there a place where i can ge the same deal on the Heads?
Edit: What size should i look for in the RX 8 Im 6'1" like 150 pounds, i ski the PE's in 169, and i think 170 would be a good size for the RX 8's, or 165?
Either 170cm or 165cm would be a fun ski. At 150lbs 165cm or even 160cm would be a great choice.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxjl View Post
If I like these Ripsticks as much as I expect too, the SLX Fusion is a ski I will be very interested in trying out. Particularly if it performs well in resort all-mountain conditions like the SuperShape. If I am skiing with my girlfriend, which I am doing more of as she improves, I prefer to be on slalom skis but then need those skis to hold up well when I am off on my own later. Switching skis usually isn't an option.

The SuperShape and Metron B5 are the only two skis I have been on thus far that I think would perform this task well enough to make me consider upgrading the SL:9. Most the others have either been too demanding or about the same performance level anyway. That's asking a lot really because the SL:9 is a great ski for that purpose and I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it. Considering that I only spent $295 for them after buying new bindings, thats one hell of a deal.
What you describe is very relative. I like the SLX Fusion Pro and find it to be very versitile and easy to ski on. However, that is comparing them to my Nordica SLR's. If the SLX Fusion is one of the stiffest skis that you have ever been on, then you may find that your opinion of it is very different. My younger brother, who skis on that ski, thought that his skis were very stiff and not terribly versitile until he spent some time on a few pairs of Nordica SLR's. After that he went back to his own skis and realized how great they were just about everywhere. I on the other hand, felt that the SLX FP didn't have enough edgehold, where he said that he had more than enough edgehold on them.

So that said, skiing styles, and the skis that you are accustomed to skiing on will make a huge difference in your reaction to that particular ski. It is highly capable and very stiff, but due to the extreme sidecut skis very soft with a lot of rebound - and makes effortless turns. I can cruise on them all day at slow speeds and not skip a beat... but that doesn't mean that they don't like to be opened up now and then. If you do decide to venture into the SLX FP make sure you get the 165. After flexing them in the shop you may think I am crazy for suggesting a long length, but they ski short. A 160 has the quickness and ease of a 150 or 155, and they really do feel soft and springy on snow. For such a stiff ski it is an interesting characteristic. Sadly with the 160 I ran into the "not enough ski" problem just because you can push them so hard when you really get going on them. They don't have a bottomless void of energy like a race stock ski though.

I suspect that the Ripstick will have the same or at least similar characteristics. Due to the larger radius it may feel like more ski (after all it is the sidecut of the GSX Fusion Pro), but it will probably react better to slower speeds than the SLX because it lacks the multiple layers of metal. I think you will find that the Ripstick has a lot in common with skis like the Head i.Supershape, but with a slightly larger radius.

FWIW though, the SLX has always been a great choice for versatility for me. Over the last few years I have done all of my free skiing with my girl friend on a pair of SLX's, and actually she will be jumping onto a practically brand new pair of SLX WC's this season (hand-me-down from me). They have a wide range of application from slow medium sized turns to full on slalom race turns at high speeds. Plus they are soft and easy to control, and practically make the turns for you. For getting a skier to really 'feel' the carve I think they are one of the best skis out there.

Later

GREG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion