New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frost on the Pumpkin

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
While many of you are baking in various parts of the country, I just wanted to give you an update from Jackson Hole.

I went for a hike at the ski area early this morning and the outside temperature on the thermometer at the base of the tram was 33 degrees (that's farenheit).

There was frost on many of the downed logs along the trail. Ice on a couple of puddles.

Fall is coming and we all know what that means...
post #2 of 26
post of the day.

there are tree changin colors in the PNW to
post #3 of 26
Got to be better than the 102 in MD today. Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow.
post #4 of 26
Temperature here "cooled down" to high eighties after being 100 a couple days ago. If there were frost on all the green tomatoes in our garden, my wife would be having fits.
post #5 of 26
The light's changing here, too. Late summer. Thank God. Not quite frost on the pumpkin yet.
post #6 of 26
Well, for the past 2 mornings I went for bike rides (road) and the temps at 6:00AM in the morning were 87 F (112 F with the humidex). No hint of fall whatsoever around here.

Fortunately I love the heat and even the humidity. I think I am the only one who feels that way around here however.
post #7 of 26

Frost - Music to my ears

Thanks Bob! A glimmer of hope that winter will soon be here.

BTW - It's 90f at 11:30pm here in DC.
post #8 of 26
Frost ?

Pumpkins?

I thought I looked so foolish in my living room with my Squads and boots on with my poles in hand.

See, I am just timely.

I can picture the morning frost in my yard already.

Thanks Bob . You're all right by me.

Next ,the snow report?
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters
While many of you are baking in various parts of the country, I just wanted to give you an update from Jackson Hole.

I went for a hike at the ski area early this morning and the outside temperature on the thermometer at the base of the tram was 33 degrees (that's farenheit).

There was frost on many of the downed logs along the trail. Ice on a couple of puddles.

Fall is coming and we all know what that means...
Yes, buy more skis, and I did...170 Sporten Spiders! :
post #10 of 26
Here in New Jersey it's nice to know there may be a ( WINTER ) this year.
post #11 of 26
none of this is official until someone posts a picture and we can all fall into pre-season comas.
post #12 of 26


Thanks, Bob. I've been flying around too much to have a clue what the temps are!
post #13 of 26
Good to hear, Bob! It was cool this morning in Denver, but heated up very rapidly. I had planned to head out with Spencer the Mountain Dog to St Mary's Glacier (or one of the James Peak couloirs if they still held snow) for my August TAY run, but the weather report was for 60% chance of thunderstorms, and the sky was completely socked in beyond the foothills. Being a bit nervous about getting struck by lightning, I decided to bail (something about hiking above treeline with a pair of skis on the pack sticking up in the air in an electrical storm sounds a bit nervy....). I won't have another chance to try for a week and a half- I hope there is still something left! A cold front would be very welcome.
post #14 of 26
I dunno.
I really like the thought of ski season being around the corner but it was pretty warm here today

Keep dishing out the good news Bob
post #15 of 26
It's winter 'Down Under'
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp
Good to hear, Bob! It was cool this morning in Denver, but heated up very rapidly. I had planned to head out with Spencer the Mountain Dog to St Mary's Glacier (or one of the James Peak couloirs if they still held snow) for my August TAY run, but the weather report was for 60% chance of thunderstorms, and the sky was completely socked in beyond the foothills. Being a bit nervous about getting struck by lightning, I decided to bail (something about hiking above treeline with a pair of skis on the pack sticking up in the air in an electrical storm sounds a bit nervy....). I won't have another chance to try for a week and a half- I hope there is still something left! A cold front would be very welcome.
hey, dp.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get a chance to do your August turns yet. I know EXACTLY what you mean about hiking above treeline in a thunderstorm with lightningrods strapped to your back! : : :

I haven't skier for August either, but I've scoped out a good, snow-filled gully about an hour's hike from our tram. I plan to do mine in the next week or so.

Good luck with yours.
post #17 of 26
That's just a hateful post, given those of us facing 90 degrees with 80 percent humidity.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters
While many of you are baking in various parts of the country, I just wanted to give you an update from Jackson Hole.

I went for a hike at the ski area early this morning and the outside temperature on the thermometer at the base of the tram was 33 degrees (that's farenheit).

There was frost on many of the downed logs along the trail. Ice on a couple of puddles.

Fall is coming and we all know what that means...
Bob, can you send some of those pumpkins to the PNW?
Thanks.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
Bob, can you send some of those pumpkins to the PNW?
Thanks.
We are going have to wait a bit longer. Our time will come. Until then consider a bit of travel
post #20 of 26
Please Bob, its August 8th.

I have way too much to get done before fall.
post #21 of 26
Hey Bob!
My 5:30 AM bike rides are now starting at 6:15, and this mornings ride was in 54F temps.
We all know what that means.
post #22 of 26
sweet TC bet you love the cooler weather we are suppose to hit the 50s for the first time in the burgh tomorrow morning, its been weeks if not months since we had low in the 50s it seems.

Also today the Humidity level drop significantly in the burgh, frick park single track here I come.
post #23 of 26
Thanks, there is hope. I have been riding my stationary bike in my basement with a fan on watching my WC race highlight dvd's..........
post #24 of 26
Bob, just strap a 1 iron to your pack, even God can't hit one.
post #25 of 26
I will get excited when the first flake falls anywheres in the country. I am a travelin man in the winter. So bring on snow. First place in the country that is decent enough to travel to to ski I shall be there!
post #26 of 26
This talk of change has me thinking about an old country song.

"it's too hot to fish, it's too hot to golf, but it's too cold for love"

I've spent my whole life "can't wait for this, can't wait for that"

Anymore I just take it as it comes. Let's enjoy Summer for crying out loud. They're short enough around here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion