New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edge Angle Pros/Cons

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
As I have never known about edge angles before, could you explain the bennifits and drawbacks of different base and side angles? After looking through this forum, I think that I would want a base of .5 and a side of 3 for a high performance ski on a short hill (600ft vert). What tools do I need? Any insight you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks
post #2 of 19
Try the search James . This has been discussed many times .
post #3 of 19
Start with the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum. It covers most of your tuning questions. .5 and 3 sounds like a good approach for an SL ski. If the .5 is too unforgiving for your tastes you can easily go to .7 or 1 degree base without a re-grind. A more typical commonly preferred set up would be 1 and 3 for most situations.

GaryZ is right. There is a wealth of tuning and bevel information available by using the search feature.
post #4 of 19
This james, is one of the best argurments to get your Mom to let you join the race team .... stress to her .... it's the Development Team we just race a little

They will usually have a session with a rep from Holmenkol who will show you what you need and how to use it.

Stress to ol' Mom, how much she will save now that you do her wax and edges.

Your short list will be:

side plane for shaving off plastic prior to sharpening

file and guide for sharpening the edges and a diamond stone

her junky old iron (low setting like wool), for waxing

a few plastic ice scrapers from the "Cheepo Auto Store" ... for scraping wax

a real ski vise .... this will cost a few bucks

heavy duty rubber bands for holding brakes back
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
When I did a rough dollar count after reading an article(i forget the name) refering to Tognar, I came up with all of these different brushes, cleaners, bars, and other assorted items which totaled around $650. Do I need anything other than a planer, guides, files/diamond stones, iron, waxes, a vice, and scrapers for a tune up every few days (assuming that I do not take a chunk of out of the base). (anything will be an improvement over my last skis as I only had time to get them tuned at the beggining and middle of the season due to the time that I had to give up my skis) Would a hot box be a worth while item to have or will just the iron do fine? What is a good adjustible base guide that will allow me to change from .5 to .7 or 1 if necessary? What do I need to do/get if my skis come with a 1 degree base and I want it to be 0.5? Thanks

I do not know if a few dollars is going to make her forget that I could go flying and break a bone, but it is an extra on the pro racing side that will hopefully help sway her. My mom is very protective.
post #6 of 19
If she is that protective you could hire a lawyer like one of my kids did and become an independent minor. I forget the legal term they used before the judge but she just had to show she was capable of self support.
post #7 of 19
"Emancipated Minor" .... that was the term the judge used. I had to dig out the court papers to look it up.
post #8 of 19
Check in the racing supply web sites. There are a few of them and they often put stuff on sale. Personally, I'd skip all of the fancy horse hair brushes and corking stuff.

I have all of that and never use it.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
"Emancipated Minor" .... that was the term the judge used. I had to dig out the court papers to look it up.
Yuki I 'm an encapsulated major . Can this help me too?
I'm surrounded here
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgig
When I did a rough dollar count after reading an article(i forget the name) refering to Tognar, I came up with all of these different brushes, cleaners, bars, and other assorted items which totaled around $650. Do I need anything other than a planer, guides, files/diamond stones, iron, waxes, a vice, and scrapers for a tune up every few days (assuming that I do not take a chunk of out of the base). (anything will be an improvement over my last skis as I only had time to get them tuned at the beggining and middle of the season due to the time that I had to give up my skis) Would a hot box be a worth while item to have or will just the iron do fine? What is a good adjustible base guide that will allow me to change from .5 to .7 or 1 if necessary? What do I need to do/get if my skis come with a 1 degree base and I want it to be 0.5? Thanks

I do not know if a few dollars is going to make her forget that I could go flying and break a bone, but it is an extra on the pro racing side that will hopefully help sway her. My mom is very protective.
Here, try these:

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...ning-Part2.pdf

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...-03-Hotbox.pdf

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...tbox-Part2.pdf
post #11 of 19
Yes, but only if you fail to make the retirement cut for a Major.

In that case your are a minor Major and don't get full military retirement benefits.
post #12 of 19
So if a minor Major , majors in a minor can he use ROTC to get his Major in a minor capacity?
post #13 of 19
Only if your parent was a major miner. Mine wasn't he was a minor miner.
post #14 of 19
Thanks Yuki , this has been on my mind for quite a while .I am so glad we cleared up this minor mystery of major importance.
Glad your parent made it out of the mine ok. To work in a minor mine would be taking a major risk for such minor miners pay and no major benefits
post #15 of 19
I'm a major 7th (D), but sometimes I'm a D#dim which is a sharp diminished (normally responsibility).

Can I emancipate myself from myself?
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
I'm a major 7th (D), but sometimes I'm a D#dim which is a sharp diminished (normally responsibility).

Can I emancipate myself from myself?
With the proper sheetwork. Yes.Something signed by Ludwig Van would gain you immediate emancipation
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ
With the proper sheetwork. Yes.Something signed by Ludwig Van would gain you immediate emancipation

I have a Steinway and a Stradivarius at home...


Unfortunately Stradivarius was crap at making pianos, and as for the Steinway violin, the less said about it the better!
post #18 of 19
The only minor problem I see with a major brands piano in the class of a Stradivarius are the minor imperfections when striking keys for major chord. When you add a combination of a minor chord the imperfections are amplified.


The Strad would make a great planter and the Steinaway would be useless except as a ukelele stand in. Pluck that thing at a cocktail party and the chicks will surround you.
The bow makes a great backscratcher
.By the way, watch out for the glissando it can be a slippery slope.
post #19 of 19
I don't know how much my stein should have weighed but the one they delivered was baroch so I sent it bach.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs