New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Supporting the habit

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Two of my loves: Coffee and Skiing
Lets say I try to use one of my habits(caffeine) and use it to support my love of skiing.

I'll go up scale and sell gourmet coffee,(something like Starbucks).

My ski season will consist of buying a new set of skis complete with bindings(hope I get a bargain) and skiing with a season pass, with a few trips to alternate local hills and one trip west.

How many cups of coffee will it take to support a ski season?
post #2 of 23
Enough to give a good portion of Michigan the caffene withdrawal shakes when you quit?
post #3 of 23
Hey she's talking StaBUCKs here, at 3 bucks a cup, thats between 100 and 200 cups for equipment, about the same for a season pass.

So lets see now about 400 cups of coffee given up---thats about --oh---less than a month for me!

However, I don't drink 3 dollar a cup coffee--I drink whatever Sams has on sale that takes a 3 person crew to haul out to the car---and costs about 15 bucks.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
Hey she's talking StaBUCKs here, at 3 bucks a cup, thats between 100 and 200 cups for equipment, about the same for a season pass.

So lets see now about 400 cups of coffee given up---thats about --oh---less than a month for me!

However, I don't drink 3 dollar a cup coffee--I drink whatever Sams has on sale that takes a 3 person crew to haul out to the car---and costs about 15 bucks.
You forgot to factor in my trip west.
I'll figure on using FFM, and stay at my sister in laws house.
post #5 of 23
Oops! I misread that.

Use the same method tho---just substitue your approximate net per cup. (or bag of beans or however you are planning to sell the product)

Are we talkin retail sales to comsumers? or wholesale sale of beans and stuff to a retailer?
post #6 of 23
Some of this depends on where you are.. but MI is cheap compared to other places in the country.

So let's say you need $1200 a month to survive. That's $500 for rent/utilities, $500 for basic living expenses and entertainment, and $200 a month to sock away for stuff. You might even be able to put away $300. You can easily travel out west for 5 days for $1000 as long as you're a bit frugal. As far as gear goes, get a prodeal or shop form. That should be pretty easy to arrange (um, I'm sure someone will want to point out that it would be slightly unethical for you to get a shop form, but that's beside the point.)

Okay, $1200 a month. Let's assume a 70% markup on coffee (industry standard), minus expenses. So if you sell a $2 cup of coffee, you're pocketing $1.40. That's 857 cups of coffee you need to sell, or 28 a day. You'll have $514 a month to put into the business.. hm.. that doesn't sound like nearly enough, but you should be able to sell a lot more than 28 cups per day and all that extra would go to the business.

Of course, I didn't include taxes in there.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick
You forgot to factor in my trip west.
I'll figure on using FFM, and stay at my sister in laws house.
well lets add another say---500 bucks for lift tickets, and sundries.

add another 200 cups.:
post #8 of 23
I'm starting to get the jitters right now.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Square
I'm starting to get the jitters right now.
I know I make your knees weak T2.

Think you can keep it together until ski season?:
post #10 of 23
trekchick

Were you serious? My answer was sort of tongue in cheek---but basically a good model. Vinn has the right idea and goes into way more detail.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
trekchick

Were you serious?
Heck no!
Its summer and I was just thinking ..........for instance........!
What if I could use one thing to support another and that selling coffee would help me with my coffee addiction and my ski addiction at the same time.

I don't think I want the head ache that goes with a coffee house. (employees, inventory, equipment, overhead.....)
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinn

Of course, I didn't include taxes in there.
You didn't include tips either and I think I'm worth a tip or two
post #13 of 23
I have no vices.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
I have no vices.
Hm...............

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=41835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
I think I have bought skis every month for the past 8 months....I got a problem, yeah....I need a bigger rack.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
...However, I don't drink 3 dollar a cup coffee--I drink whatever Sams has on sale that takes a 3 person crew to haul out to the car---and costs about 15 bucks.
I believe this might be a fabrication. I always thought having a Sams/WalMart in Vermont would result in the space/time continuum having a huge rip - ending life as we know it.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinn
But its not a vice.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeformiles(andmiles)
I believe this might be a fabrication. I always thought having a Sams/WalMart in Vermont would result in the space/time continuum having a huge rip - ending life as we know it.
Its a day trip to the metropolis of Albany NY for us.
post #18 of 23
Trekchick
Let's see. If I remember correctly you are in northern MI right? It's July. Hot!
Somehow I see a card table on the side of the road with a hand lettered sign. I suggest adding lemonade to the menu. Not that many kids drink coffee so lemonade should increase revenue. Also, location is critical, so try and set up somewhere other then in front of your own house. A main highway would be good.This may entail a really long extension cord for your coffee machine but the increased sales should allow you to recover that investment.
post #19 of 23
Perhaps an equally unrealistic solution -- Bring gourmet coffee slopeside, and offer it to the skiers who finish early in the day. You can take their passes and give them the coffee. You'll have an unlimited number of half day, powderless skiing adventures available to you!

But always have extra coffee ready to throw at the liftees who try to get you to stop!
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahskier
Perhaps an equally unrealistic solution -- Bring gourmet coffee slopeside, and offer it to the skiers who finish early in the day. You can take their passes and give them the coffee. You'll have an unlimited number of half day, powderless skiing adventures available to you!

But always have extra coffee ready to throw at the liftees who try to get you to stop!
A portable coffee cart. I like that idea. Maybe I could convert my husband's race van(kazooskis- that has a generator so I don't need an extension cord) into a portable coffee shop and have racks on the walls for our quiver of skis.

Even more unrealistic......I could make the coffee and put a jar out for people to pay on the honor system so I could ski. I'm sure everyone would pay and no one would steal the ski's either.
At our local hill, we famous for "Lubin the lifties". We tailgate for our lunch and always make sure the lifties close to where we tailgate have plenty to eat.
Top of the lift and bottom!

How many "one last run"'s do you think that's gotten me?
post #21 of 23

catering?

Now this thread has both brought up long dormant memories and a growing idea.

As a kid in the Detroit area I remember "lunch wagons". Trucks would pull up by the door of a business and open the back end to reveal a full lunch counter. Beverages, sandwiches, doughnuts, soup, candy,etc.
I now see the value of such an endeavor at lunch time, say near the yellow chair at Schuss or the bottom of Tree Tops. So much more convienient then taking skis off and traipsing to a cafeteria or resturant.

Skip the coffee and go full blown catering. The lunch wagon business had fleets of trucks. You could have at least one for each norther MI ski area. Heck! Go regional. Grow to cover the whole midwest.

How about healthy food on one side of the truck and good food on the other and beverages in the back?
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
You know for a half baked joke about mixing my two habits, this is really rolling along
You wanna come up and help the operation?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZOOSKI
Now this thread has both brought up long dormant memories and a growing idea.

As a kid in the Detroit area I remember "lunch wagons". Trucks would pull up by the door of a business and open the back end to reveal a full lunch counter. Beverages, sandwiches, doughnuts, soup, candy,etc.
I now see the value of such an endeavor at lunch time, say near the yellow chair at Schuss or the bottom of Tree Tops. So much more convienient then taking skis off and traipsing to a cafeteria or resturant.

Skip the coffee and go full blown catering. The lunch wagon business had fleets of trucks. You could have at least one for each norther MI ski area. Heck! Go regional. Grow to cover the whole midwest.

How about healthy food on one side of the truck and good food on the other and beverages in the back?
post #23 of 23
Sure. Any time I see your operation I'll be glad to support you by buying a hot chocolate.Lunch too. You could support mine by taking a lesson. Hey here's a thought that thows a curve into your plans. Why not become a ski instructor to support the habit. Lot's of great perks like skiing for free. Nifty warm jacket to wear. And best of all seeing the grins as you help others learn how much fun sliding downhill with long boards attached to your feet can be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion