New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rossi B-Squads

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Has anyone here had a chance to ride these skis yet?

I have ended my search for an all-mountain ripper and decided on these.

I was heading for the new Mantras after considering many damn good skis of this type.

What do you guys think of these?The B-squad. 184's


Cirquerider showed me these and i jumped at them. I think i did pretty good . I got them and rossi AXL2 140ti bindings for 700$ New.

Thanks, Cirque . A beer is not a proper payback for this.
post #2 of 28
If I had the funds, they'd be mine. Like I said, if you get tired of looking at them between now and November, just let me know. This LINK is where you should be asking...but use an alias

As you probably know, the reputation is a stiff pro-style ski, that is relatively lightweight. The profile has just a little less sidecut than the Mantra, but the stiffness and tip shape should make this a crud buster like the old Explosive. The 184 is supposted to be easier to ride than the longer 194 length. the 130-100-120 sidecut and 25 Meter radius should make this a manageable big mountain ski for a larger and/or faster skier. Part of the fun of getting a ski before the public release is being able to be the first to critique it. There is some risk, but a fun project, especially where you ski in the NorthWest. Welcome to the 1% club.

Your skis are in Mammoth tonight. You should go pick them up and use them this 4th of July weekend.
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
If I had the funds, they'd be mine. Like I said, if you get tired of looking at them between now and November, just let me know. This LINK is where you should be asking...but use an alias

As you probably know, the reputation is a stiff pro-style ski, that is relatively lightweight. The profile has just a little less sidecut than the Mantra, but the stiffness and tip shape should make this a crud buster like the old Explosive. The 184 is supposted to be easier to ride than the longer 194 length. the 130-100-120 sidecut and 25 Meter radius should make this a manageable big mountain ski for a larger and/or faster skier. Part of the fun of getting a ski before the public release is being able to be the first to critique it. There is some risk, but a fun project. Welcome to the 1% club.

Your skis are in Mammoth tonight. You should go pick them up and use them this 4th of July weekend.
Temptation is not a sin . It is an obligation sometimes. I'll think on it. But I think I spent my flight money.

I am but a humble carpenter.

Mammoth?

Oh God. You devil ,Cirquerider

How many hours from here? Mapquest next
post #4 of 28
184 Bsquad is basically a 184 B4.
189+ is the true big mountain ripper
post #5 of 28
sweet
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ
Temptation is not a sin . It is an obligation sometimes. I'll think on it. But I think I spent my flight money.

I am but a humble carpenter.

Mammoth?

Oh God. You devil ,Cirquerider

How many hours from here? Mapquest next
You get to convert shipping money to gas money

For you unfortunately its a 940 mile drive. That is a pretty good haul. Here is a Map and route directions. (This is from a new software in beta testing and it looks real promising).

I show a $257 round trip on Southwest based on Spokane to Reno

(moved your thread to discussion cause its not a review and its what I do now)
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
You get to convert shipping money to gas money

For you unfortunately its a 940 mile drive. That is a pretty good haul. I show a $257 round trip on Southwest based on Spokane to Reno
Not a bad price for a less than two week advance booking
post #8 of 28
184 Bsquad is basically a 184 B4.


Bullfeathers, not even in the same ballpark.

Loved my B4s, hated the Bsquads. They are for sale next season.


post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunion
184 Bsquad is basically a 184 B4.


Bullfeathers, not even in the same ballpark.

Loved my B4s, hated the Bsquads. They are for sale next season.


That's what i heard also.
Nothing like the B-4.

What did you not like about the B-Squads?

Are you a big guy or a lighter person?

The guy who posted that reply has no clue
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ
That's what i heard also.
Nothing like the B-4.

What did you not like about the B-Squads?

Are you a big guy or a lighter person?
When I was in Valdez this past March, one of the guides who wasn't flying for a couple of days was jokingly trying to get me to ski on his B-Squads just to flex them more. He weighs a little less than I do, probably around 180-185 and his skis were new.

He was also joking about putting the tips and tails on a couple of logs and driving the lodge van back and forth over the center of the skis.

He said they were way too stiff for him to enjoy unless he was going about 65mph. His might have been the 194's, though. I didn't look, I'm a Head guy.

B-4's were MUCH more popular amongst the guide staff up there.
post #11 of 28
What did you not like about the B-Squads?

If I skied on more hard snow maybe they would have been a better ski. They were, too stiff X 3 and too demanding to enjoy. I am and have always been a softer ski kind of person. The B-4 is an effortless ski that is great for my local mountain, it does it all pretty well. One of the first Rossi skis I have ever liked, I liked them a LOT!

2 of my patrollers also bought Bsquads and loved them. One is from Vermont, very young & agressive and a great skier. The other guy is older, an excellent skier and likes real fat skis. What can ya say, different strokes. BTW both my B-4s and the Bsquads were the 178 & 174 sizes and were mounted tele.

Are you a big guy or a lighter person?

6 0" 182 lbs. Professional skier with 120+ days p/season over the last 23 seasons
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks bunion. I skied on some b-3's and thought they were a nice easy to ride ski. I am assuming the b-4 is similar but wider.
I had alot of fun on them and was going to demo some B-4's but wanted to try them in deeper snow for a good test and never got around to it.
I have to ski a lot of less than fresh snowfall and think the stiffness of the B-squads will make them nice on hard packed snow and I can still stay on the less traveled runs
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunion
BTW both my B-4s and the Bsquads were the 178 & 174 sizes and were mounted tele.
THAT, explains a lot about why you didn't like them. I can imagine a ski that stiff being mounted tele would be miserable... The Squad is certainly a serious beast to tame. Probably going TGR style with a pair of old Look Z Race bindings would suit those better... or at least a newer Look P18 or something...
Later
GREG
post #14 of 28
I think some of you are misunderstanding the true purpose of the Squad.
post #15 of 28
I think some of you are misunderstanding the true purpose of the Squad.


Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.... ...................... were waiting!

All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

pretty clever considering the area in which you reside.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunion
pretty clever considering the area in which you reside.
If you are familiar with the area in which I reside (and can ski a turn or two) you undoubtedly know why I think that... and probably my tool of choice for everyday skiing.

Later

GREG
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
I think some of you are misunderstanding the true purpose of the Squad.
I am in a SQUAD... they all ski on Metrons. Talk about being a black sheep.
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
I am in a SQUAD... they all ski on Metrons. Talk about being a black sheep.
All? Hmmm.
I know at least one.............Or maybe you mean they skied on them as a demo and went back to their favorite ski
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ
All? Hmmm.
I know at least one.............Or maybe you mean they skied on them as a demo and went back to their favorite ski
I should specify... most ski on Metrons. We are getting more balanced out as we sign on more pro patrollers... but we are still in a severe minority; especially since this one guy we have has many pairs of Metrons... just in case.

Later

GREG

[I fit into the category who has never skied on them]
post #20 of 28
PNW skiing is all about getting on top of wetter heavy snow and busting through chop. Garry and I are both 200 lb+ skiers. The Squad has a reputation for stiffness. I'm thinking compare to Bro Stiff, and Legend Pro. Are you guys saying stiffer? It still has a 25 M radius for the 184. So, I suspect that used right, this ski is capable of being turned. The 189 and 193 does have the longer turn radius. And I agree a tele mount would not be the ideal approach to this ski.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
PNW skiing is all about getting on top of wetter heavy snow and busting through chop. Garry and I are both 200 lb+ skiers. The Squad has a reputation for stiffness. I'm thinking compare to Bro Stiff, and Legend Pro. Are you guys saying stiffer? It still has a 25 M radius for the 184. So, I suspect that used right, this ski is capable of being turned. The 189 and 193 does have the longer turn radius. And I agree a tele mount would not be the ideal approach to this ski.
Cirquerider, I have made 2 runs in Spring Snow (Alpine) on the 189 B-Squad. These were not new Ski's. I found the ski to be stiffer than my 194 LP's. They would hold an edge at speed on the soft groomers but at the speeds I was traveling I thought they were giving me too much feedback when I hit irregularities in the snow. They felt kind of (Plastic) compared to the LP's I also started to notice the width under foot when edging. My overall impression was that they were a nice ripper ski but not as nice all mountain as the LP. I was thinking I would like to have them to RACE people in deep or chopped heavy powder. I would not choose them as an everyday ski. So that’s me. Add 20 or 30 pounds? I don't know? You would need to be VERY Strong and very fast to enjoy the ski.

I have not been on the 184 its not as wide under foot, its not as stiff, its not a PRO model. I don't think its a ripper ski for a big guy.

Now for you having seen you ski, I think you would be happy on a BRO Stiff 188. mounted Alpine with about 6MM of lift (No FREE RIDES)

BTW that little guy you saw win the Mad Cow at Alpine was on 184 Squads.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
I am in a SQUAD... they all ski on Metrons. Talk about being a black sheep.
I resemble that remark. I am still looking at a "big mountain ski" but I want something softer and lighter than these B's. Plus, I have never been a Rossi fan.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Thanks bunion. I skied on some b-3's and thought they were a nice easy to ride ski. I am assuming the b-4 is similar but wider.
I had alot of fun on them and was going to demo some B-4's but wanted to try them in deeper snow for a good test and never got around to it.
Which B3s did you ski? The red ones from last year or the greyish ones from previous years. The older version of the B3 is basically last year's B4 so they do ski similar. Last year's B3 is very different feeling than the B4. (I have the B3 in a 176 length & the B4 in a 178 length.) The B4 feels somewhat clunky at slower speed on groomers and takes more effort to initiate a turn. The B3 is very easy to maneuver on groomers at all speeds. In powder & crud the B4 becomes much more nimble and does feel similar to the B3 except it is more stable especially in heavy snow.
post #24 of 28
but I want something softer and lighter than these B's. Plus, I have never been a Rossi fan.

I wasn't either until I got on a pair of B-4s. hey are pretty light and I wouldn't want a softer ski.

If you get a chance, demo a pair.
post #25 of 28
Am I the only person that found the B-Squads *gulp* easy to ski....I demoed the 194s for a couple runs and, while I didn't necessarily like them, I found them pretty easy to ski in the conditions that day....maybe the demos were well broken in....anyway, here's a review I posted over at tgr after the Mt Rose demo day...btw - I'm 6'/175...

Quote:
Conditions: To me it was much more powder than the others are conveying in the chutes – a definite thickness to the snow but in the shade it stayed pretty light and fluffy and where it was tracked it was fairly smooth crumbled chalk…when not demoing it was a Big Daddy day for me…

Anyway, on to the reviews….

Rossi B-Squad 194cm
This ski felt to me like a late 90’s, stiff pow board – it was quite easy to turn as it skidded with ease, you could go fast or slow and smear any turn shape. I liked the consistency of this ski, it did everything I told it to and nothing I didn’t….the tip seemed long and narrow which seemed to ward off any unwanted hooking….…but….the ski felt kind of lifeless….like not much technique is needed to ski them, you just toss them about and they go where you toss them…..their stiffness is very planky and dead feeling and for a relatively light guy like me it would get knocked about by the chop to where I couldn’t go as fast on these as I can on my LPs and BDs which are much more ‘supple’ and quieter at speed…the one very bright spot with this ski is I was able to zipperline bumps in the runouts much, much, much easier than with any wide ski I’ve been on…

…I can see this ski being nice for a heavier less skilled person or for someone who has a more old school technique and likes their skis tossable with none of that shape ski kick from the tail…..or maybe I just need more than 2 runs on it…

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-EastCoaster
Am I the only person that found the B-Squads *gulp* easy to ski....I demoed the 194s for a couple runs and, while I didn't necessarily like them, I found them pretty easy to ski in the conditions that day....maybe the demos were well broken in....anyway, here's a review I posted over at tgr after the Mt Rose demo day...btw - I'm 6'/175...
I think I felt pretty much the same thing but said it differently. The only place I could imagine it being real good would be MACHING soft snow.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
I think I felt pretty much the same thing but said it differently. The only place I could imagine it being real good would be MACHING soft snow.
I thought they were designed for just that. I can totally understand why a guide in AK wouldn't like them. All those guys rip big lines, but on sunny fly days, they're not MACHING anything. They're working and keeping people safe. (God bless you guys as I don't trust cowboy guides) I can't imagine that ski being a very pleasurable guiding ski. A good ski for masking your insane loss of control when you need something to hang onto to avoid a thousand foot cartwheel.:

"my knees aren't shaking. I totally nailed that line." (cough on sack here.)
post #28 of 28
The trade show video is available on Biglines http://www.biglinesvideos.com/videos/SIA06/rossi.wmv

I don't know if its helpful, but at least its stoke for next season's gear choices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion