or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski for my 17 year old son?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What ski for my 17 year old son?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
My son needs a new ski for for our ski vacation next year.

After multiple trips to Killington and Whiteface we will ski Utah or Colorado in the future. He has progressed well on carving skis, but will need something versatile for variable lift-served conditions.

Steve is a moderately athletic 6' & 200 Lbs. He tends to ski fearlessly on steeper runs. His turns tend to be more reactive than deliberate (did I mention he's 17?), but he will carve with some skill.

Should I let him use my 182cm Dynastar Intuitive 74, or should I upgrade to a 177cm Head Monster iM 77 or Dynastar Legend 8000?

Cheers,

Michael
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv
Should I let him use my 182cm Dynastar Intuitive 74, or should I upgrade to a 177cm Head Monster iM 77 or Dynastar Legend 8000?
Since you already have the Intuitives, they will work. If your going to upgrade, get something fatter for out west. Something around 90 for everyday.
post #3 of 11
I bought a pair of Intuttiv 74's 182s after demoing the Legend 8000s. I really liked the 8000s but got a great deal on the intutivs. I've never had regreted not spending the extra $ on the 8000s.

Unless you need an xmas or birthday present for him I'd stick with the intuitivs. I think he would have great season on them.
post #4 of 11
Yeah, juding from his skill level I would say that the Intuitivs will work fine.
Later
GREG
post #5 of 11
Pick him up a pair of Public Enemys. They're a great all mountain ski with some girth, and they're relatively cheap as well.

He'll love you for it. My oldest is on his 3rd pair.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
Pick him up a pair of Public Enemys. They're a great all mountain ski with some girth, and they're relatively cheap as well.

He'll love you for it. My oldest is on his 3rd pair.
He seems a bit big for those. I don't like K2, however you probably could not go wrong with the Seth Vicious


Also take a look here
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41028
post #7 of 11
I don't think we are talking about an expert skier here, who is going to be ripping through ungroomed, off-piste snow... Investing in a pair of fat skis would be foolish as he will probably have just as much fun an a pair of 74's. Plus being a reactive skier, versus deliberate says a lot about what type of terrain he is going to be skiing while out west. Skiing crud for an entire day is probably going to wear the kid out beyond belief. so... he will probably be venturing from groomers to off-piste areas. The Intuitiv will offer good performance in both areas, is VERY forgiving and will like to be skied reactively versus deliberately, and isn't going to cost his father a small fortune. If you get a big dump and need powder skis one day they are quite cheap to rent or demo.
Later
GREG
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
I don't think we are talking about an expert skier here, who is going to be ripping through ungroomed, off-piste snow... Investing in a pair of fat skis would be foolish as he will probably have just as much fun an a pair of 74's. Plus being a reactive skier, versus deliberate says a lot about what type of terrain he is going to be skiing while out west. Skiing crud for an entire day is probably going to wear the kid out beyond belief. so... he will probably be venturing from groomers to off-piste areas. The Intuitiv will offer good performance in both areas, is VERY forgiving and will like to be skied reactively versus deliberately, and isn't going to cost his father a small fortune. If you get a big dump and need powder skis one day they are quite cheap to rent or demo.
Later
GREG
I
Strongly disagree with you. Vicious is not an expert or strict pow ski. It has some sidecut @ 179 you could call it turny. However it is very stable in chopped up snow and powder. Its an excellent Utah Ski for a strong young guy who knows how to slide down the hill.

Again I did not think he was an Expert (Just capable) I did not recommend 194 LP's, I am recommending one of the most raved about all mountain skis out there right now. This is an everyday ski for anyone West of Denver

PS: I can't belive I am defending a pair of K2's. Also look at Armada and 4frnt.
post #9 of 11
Have all you old guys forgotten the strength and stamina of youth? That skier description is about spot for me a year ago and all of my friends. The Vicious would be great, but I wouldn't worry a ton about it, he'll have a great time on anything. Don't you guys worry about a 17 year old's ability to ski for a day, on our winter break trip we skied 8 straight in SLC and it was the best trip of my life.
post #10 of 11

Atomic M-EX

I have never skied these but heard good things about them from others.

I still think the Fatter stuff would be better for your 17 year old.

But for a real nice price this might be a winner. (Look for input from others)
http://cgi.ebay.com/04-05-Atomic-Metron-M-EX-w-412-Pkg-175cm-Skis-NEW_W0QQitemZ8824416407QQihZ005QQcategoryZ21243QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
... he will probably be venturing from groomers to off-piste areas. ...If you get a big dump and need powder skis one day they are quite cheap to rent or demo.
Later
GREG
This is a best-of-both-worlds solution. I can bring the Intuitive 74's and he can demo 50% of the time.

Steve went from his Volkl Crossrangers to the Atomic SL9 to the RX8 and could instantly adjust to each ski. The Intuitive 74 makes a good fall-back ski for western on-piste. If we go off-piste, he can demo a MOJO 90/Sugar Daddy, or something similar.

If everyone said that the the Intuitive 74 was obsolete or useless, I would trade up now. If we skied every weekend, I would also trade up.

I feel a little guilty giving him a hand-down, even if they are in perfect condition. He is not a gear geek, and won't care a hoot. I think these skis will be good enough for two more seasons. He can then use 'em as rock skis.

The best part is that I can now convert his Salomons to Telemark and buy a 82-100mm wide ski for me!

Cheers,

Michael
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski for my 17 year old son?