EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › A Picture is worth a 1,000 words.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Picture is worth a 1,000 words.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Attention Administrators.

I am unhappy with the new viewing restriction you have put on html links to JPG files (Pictures) The quality, size and resolution has reduced the pictures posted in this forums to (Useless)

For those who have dial-up or some other slower form of internet access? You should give the option to reduce link size on an individual basis.

I for one have a 3M cable modem and want to see the pictures in full size and resolution.

I am just one voice? Am I in the minority here or are others also unhappy with the changes?
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
Attention Administrators.

I am unhappy with the new viewing restriction you have put on html links to JPG files (Pictures) The quality, size and resolution has reduced the pictures posted in this forums to (Useless)

For those who have dial-up or some other slower form of internet access? You should give the option to reduce link size on an individual basis.

I for one have a 3M cable modem and want to see the pictures in full size and resolution.

I am just one voice? Am I in the minority here or are others also unhappy with the changes?
They're only being resized in the html to preserve the integrity of the page layout. The images themselves are unaltered and unrestricted. They're now clickable. If you click an image, a new browser will open with the image displayed in it's full glory.
post #3 of 19
I actually like the new "process", for several reasons:
  1. It lets the page load quickly, and lets me decide which picture I want to spend my time looking at.
  2. It keeps the width intact -- I love panoramic shots, but they take up so much horizontal screen space and drag the text wrapping along with it.
  3. It may also (hopefully) encourage others to post pictures without worrying about how to resize or resample them. We could use a lot more pictures on Epic.
And as jstraw mentioned, the original pictures are still intact at full size and resolution.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by faisasy
I actually like the new "process", for several reasons:
  1. It lets the page load quickly, and lets me decide which picture I want to spend my time looking at.
  2. It keeps the width intact -- I love panoramic shots, but they take up so much horizontal screen space and drag the text wrapping along with it.
  3. It may also (hopefully) encourage others to post pictures without worrying about how to resize or resample them. We could use a lot more pictures on Epic.
And as jstraw mentioned, the original pictures are still intact at full size and resolution.
A point of clarification...the page won't load any faster. The whole image, every bit and byte, is being loaded to the browser even though it's being displayed smaller.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
A point of clarification...the page won't load any faster. The whole images, every bit and byte, is being loaded to the browser even though it's being displayed smaller.
Yes, you're right, I just noticed that as well. Any chance of images being automatically resized/resampled down to make them load faster? I've been looking at a gallery script called Coppermine -- it automatically creates an intermediate picture of a user-specified size and quality -- clicking on the intermediate picture brings up the full-size original.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by faisasy
Yes, you're right, I just noticed that as well. Any chance of images being automatically resized/resampled down to make them load faster? I've been looking at a gallery script called Coppermine -- it automatically creates an intermediate picture of a user-specified size and quality -- clicking on the intermediate picture brings up the full-size original.
Can you send me a link to information about coppermine?
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Can you send me a link to information about coppermine?
http://coppermine.sf.net/

I am very much a newbie at scripts and all the mySQL stuff that goes with Coppermine, so I have no idea if any of it will translate to the situation we have here at Epic. I was able to put together some galleries very quickly with it though.
post #8 of 19
I haven't looked at Coppermine yet but keep in mind we're talking about files that are linked-to, not hosted on this server. There is nothing we can do, physically, to files not stored on this server that would be legitimate. In the case of those, resizing the display is all we can do with them.

I believe there is another project in the works for gallery software for images hosted here. This would be a tool seperate from posting images in forums but I'd imagine that images in those galleries could be linked to in posts. I'll leave it to the person responsible for that project to speak about this at this time if he or she so wishes.

Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 19
In defense of the approach here, there are many posters that do not know how to resize photos for the internet. If I were to post an image directly from my 7.1 MP camera, the image would be over 3072 x 2304. At least 3 times as large as most screens set to high resolution. All of my posted images must be resized , and I usually set them to 1024 pixels or so. Automatic resizing with the option to click for the full size image means I can link directly without resizing. The downside of that is it still consumes a lot of bandwidth.

This is a panoramic from yesterday on the Sacramento River. I reduced it to 2300 pixels wide which is what you will see if you click it. If posted without resizing, you would have to scroll horizontally at least two page widths to read this. Don't forget if you click the image, click a second time to see the image full size.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Don't forget if you click the image, click a second time to see the image full size.
That's a browser setting. It can be changed by you.
post #11 of 19
Changed the option "resize pictures to fit browser window". Fixed.

Thanks J

In response to MTT's concern, is it possible to set the picture resize to not exceed 1024 pixels. That would fit most computer screens today. Just a guess, but it looks like you have it set to about 800 pixels.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Changed the option "resize pictures to fit browser window". Fixed.

Thanks J

In response to MTT's concern, is it possible to set the picture resize to not exceed 1024 pixels. That would fit most computer screens today. Just a guess, but it looks like you have it set to about 800 pixels.
That's why they're clickable. Win/win.
post #13 of 19
Still using 800x600 screen resolution? Let em scroll. :
post #14 of 19
If they're using 1024, you have to subtract the window boundaries. 800 is a safer resolution. TheCounter stats show that 1024 is still prevalent (even folks with better resolutions possible often don't use them). This article shows that you actually get a lot less than that due to the extra junk the browser puts around the viewing window. Here are some more stats on browser use.

Hey! You! Wake up! I'm done with the technobabble!
post #15 of 19
I agree with it set to 800 - if people are using 1024 and have bookmarks switched on, then the screen is still smaller.

Any word from MTT since his initial post?
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 

I said what I needed to say.

I am not mad or anything, I just think its over kill. I now have to click on each pic and then full size it. I would prefer to have pics sit in the browser in full width. So I can just scroll through them with captions and comentary intact.

One mans opinion:

At least you know how I feel about it. I read the other thread that addresses this issue after I created this thread.
post #17 of 19
FYI, what I installed as a hack to make this possible is a built in feature in the next release of the vBulletin software.

You're opinion is valued.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
FYI, what I installed as a hack to make this possible is a built in feature in the next release of the vBulletin software.

You're opinion is valued.
BTW, I think you guys are doing a great job. I am proud of my membership on this forum.

And TGR, they both have a place in the life of a Snow Junkie.
post #19 of 19
Like there's a time for a Bushmills at the White Horse and a time for jello shots at El Squid Row.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › A Picture is worth a 1,000 words.