EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Icon Alu HotForm liner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Icon Alu HotForm liner?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I will be getting a pair of Tecnica Alu's w/the HotForm liners which have been formed once according the owner.

My question is can I re-form the liners by "baking" them like a thermoform liner, or do I have to use a voltage heater?

If I can "bake" them, is there a significant increase in fit by using a voltage heater instead?

I'm competent w/building a voltage heater (I'm an electronics tech), but need to know the specifics of the heater (any Tecnica techs out there?).

I would go to my local shop, but as they are nearly two hours away and not doing anymore bootfitting for the season, and coupled with the fact that these are just going to be project boots for me, I prefer to tackle this myself.

Thank's in advance.
post #2 of 16
You may have to improvise. The wiring breaks when you ski in the boot. I used a heat gun and hair dryer to cast my liners. It didn't work that well. You really need to heat them up.
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve
I will be getting a pair of Tecnica Alu's w/the HotForm liners which have been formed once according the owner.

My question is can I re-form the liners by "baking" them like a thermoform liner, or do I have to use a voltage heater?...Thank's in advance.
You might consider getting new Tecnica liners (you would be better off without Hotform) or new aftermarket liners.

Even new Hotform liners were never ideal. Too much material that never really improves the fit.

Cheers,

Michael
post #4 of 16
better option: Get a garmont liner (tele boot). They make a liner for beefy tele & alpine boots. (sorry forgot actual name)

or score a scarpa T-race, T1 liner....

Thermo liners take tons of wt off the boot & don't pack out like the tecnicas


FYI!!!!!!!!!!!! Tecnica mondo = Garmont Mondo
Scarpa appear to run a full mondo smaller, order 1 size up!
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv
You might consider getting new Tecnica liners (you would be better off without Hotform) or new aftermarket liners.

Even new Hotform liners were never ideal. Too much material that never really improves the fit.

Cheers,

Michael
I would agree w/you about getting aftermarket liners, but these are project boots for me to mod myself and as the boots didn't cost me much and aren't my primary boots I'm not interested in investing any money on them. My question was concerning what I could do to effectively re-form the liners myself, but thank you for the input none the less.

I've also heard mixed reviews on the HotForm vs. standard liner debate of which at this time I'm not convinced either way. According to bootfitters.com, the HotForm liners are superior if fitted correctly.

Most of this isn't going to matter next season anyways as I'm planning on getting some Tecnica Diablo Mag's anyways, unless I really, really like the Icon's. If I decide I really like them then I will consider aftermarkets next season, of which ZipFits are my preference.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve

I've also heard mixed reviews on the HotForm vs. standard liner debate of which at this time I'm not convinced either way. According to bootfitters.com, the HotForm liners are superior if fitted correctly.
HotForms need to be heated more than is normally done. The liner can be re-heated but it has to be real hot to work. My fitter kept the heat on even while it was on my foot. It worked well the first time but did not get the required heat on other attempts.

Phil's ankle wrap from Dale boot help more than the results of the hotform.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones
HotForms need to be heated more than is normally done. The liner can be re-heated but it has to be real hot to work.
The way it was explained to me was that the shop uses a higher voltage while fitting, and a lower voltage is provided to the consumer for warming.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn
The way it was explained to me was that the shop uses a higher voltage while fitting, and a lower voltage is provided to the consumer for warming.
That is correct. I have hotforms with an accessory power plug to the car cigarette lighter. I use the feature to keep the boot liners warm while driving.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josseph
That is correct. I have hotforms with an accessory power plug to the car cigarette lighter. I use the feature to keep the boot liners warm while driving.
It's no problem w/the consumer warmer, which is only designed to keep the liners warm as already mentioned, not hot enough to form the liners...This is why I'm attempting to get the specifics about the commercial unit as I would like to know the exact voltage/times/temps needed to heat the liners to the point that they will form/re-form.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn
The way it was explained to me was that the shop uses a higher voltage while fitting, and a lower voltage is provided to the consumer for warming.
The consumer heating kit does not allow you to reform the liner. You really need to cook those babies to get them to form. You will need to take them to a shop and increase the warm up time and leave them pluged in for a bit while its on your foot.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve

This is why I'm attempting to get the specifics about the commercial unit as I would like to know the exact voltage/times/temps needed to heat the liners to the point that they will form/re-form.
Do you have 220?:
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones
Do you have 220?:
Actually I do.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones
HotForms need to be heated more than is normally done. The liner can be re-heated but it has to be real hot to work. My fitter kept the heat on even while it was on my foot. It worked well the first time but did not get the required heat on other attempts.

Phil's ankle wrap from Dale boot help more than the results of the hotform.
Could you explain in a little more detail about "Phil's ankle wrap" please?
post #14 of 16
It's neopreen and it slips on like a sock and it has the heel area cut out (small). Over the instep it has an elastic section to reduce the thickness there. The result is a soft filler to snug the heel. It worked real well for me. The heel piece also comes with a plastic cage that snugs the heel and runs up the leg. Either can be used alone or together. I used only the neopreen, and it worked very well.

My problem is a very small heel and ankle area. I like to buy foamed liners as a solution. In this case I had on my HotForms and they had become useless. I was rolling my ankle in the boot while skiing, that's how bad it was.

This system is made by Dale boot. It costs $35.00 plus $20.00 shiping. If your problem is a loose heel, I would say try it.
post #15 of 16
Daleboot also makes a liner that can be heat fit. you get the instructions on how to do this yourself at home. to check out the wraps and some of his other products go to Dalebootusa.com
post #16 of 16
memosteve

IIRC The shop unit uses 24volts to reform rather than the 12 volt drier that is supplied for the end user and they run it for about 15 minutes. As others have said some of the wiring can break internally. Also IIRC they apply the voltage fro the 15 minutes and then you put on your foot after the power has ben removed.

If you can put together a power supply to try to do this go with it.

If you do a search I am pretty sure someone posted the voltages last year when i asked a similar question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Icon Alu HotForm liner?