New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to ski end of May?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well I am in Sandy, Utah till June 1st. I plan to ski snowbird every day when they till close......but for the last 2 weeks they will be closed during the week. Leaving me 2 5 days period to travel and ski somewhere else. So my questions are who will be open during the weeks at the end of May? A-Basin?, Mammoth?, who else? Of those open which will have the best conditions? Who will be cheap to go to? and last but not least any Bears want to meet up for a Day or too of skiing?

Thanks in advance Hope you guys have some info.
post #2 of 17
Whistler is open until June 4th!
post #3 of 17
Mt Bachelor closes May 29th. Conditions are great right now and the weather has been wonderful. Slider and I both ski Bachelor regularly.
post #4 of 17
squaw is supposebly open til end of may, abasin 'til 1st weekend of june. supposebly squaw is getting slushy already and i'll eyewitness that this weekend.
based on lots of late season experience, i'd take abasin for conditions over anything in tahoe, but tahoe is cheaper.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
Well I am in Sandy, Utah till June 1st. I plan to ski snowbird every day when they till close......but for the last 2 weeks they will be closed during the week. Leaving me 2 5 days period to travel and ski somewhere else. So my questions are who will be open during the weeks at the end of May? A-Basin?, Mammoth?, who else? Of those open which will have the best conditions? Who will be cheap to go to? and last but not least any Bears want to meet up for a Day or too of skiing?

Thanks in advance Hope you guys have some info.
Snowbird always plays it conservative on closing dates, then makes an anouncement that pushes back the date. Last year I think they made it to July. This year, the snow is almost as deep, with a bit slower melt off. I wouldn't rule Snowbird out for those last few weeks.

Powdr
post #6 of 17
Bachelor till the end of May then relocate to Mt. Hood for the summer. Skiing remains good till end of July most years and then is fair through the end of summer although on much reduced terrain. Summer season pass is a good deal if you can make enough days.

Mark
post #7 of 17
This is a sickening thread. Bush is just trying to rub-it-in with us Least Coasters he has abandoned.
post #8 of 17
mostly in my dreams around these parts...
post #9 of 17
Mammoth. 13-15 foot base. Open until July 4.

Great spring skiing!

Edit: Mammoth is not easy to get to from Salt Lake. Flight to Reno and drive 3 hrs or fly to LAX and 5 hours.
post #10 of 17
You know why this is a sickening thread? It's cuz all the places around me -- Mt Baker, Crystal -- have closed despite 100's of inches in existing base. Like, what's that all about?

Back to reality, believe me folks feel for you east coasters... but, SLC or Vancouver are only a single plane ride away for most of you.

bring the suntan lotion, though.
post #11 of 17
Better check what lifts are running at Mammoth.
In mid-may last year they ticked me off & I left early.

They were opened to the top on WEEKENDS ONLY
and only ran a few lower to midmountain lifts midweek.

I saw several Mammoth "Lift Operations Supervisors" at the
Squaw tram this Mar and voiced my displeasure at this situation
from last year.

After leaving Mammoth I went to Tahoe North shore and found
Alpine had all the front side open and Squaw had most of
their good stuff open (on a rotating basis):
hth
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
After sking the bird till the 14th it then looks like Alpine Meadow, and squaw(15ish-19ish). Then Back to the bird for the weekend(20-21), and then A-basin(22nd...) on the drive back home to the Burgh.

Any Bears want to meet up?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuma
all the places around me -- Mt Baker, Crystal -- have closed despite 100's of inches in existing base. Like, what's that all about?
.
For some unknown reason people would rather fight crowds and rocks in November than ski in May. Bachelor used to stay open until July 4, but no one came. Golfing I guess.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog
For some unknown reason people would rather fight crowds and rocks in November than ski in May. Bachelor used to stay open until July 4, but no one came. Golfing I guess.
Northwest is too far of a drive, Tahoe is much closer and easier to get too. I will get up there next year probably.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
After sking the bird till the 14th it then looks like Alpine Meadow, and squaw(15ish-19ish). Then Back to the bird for the weekend(20-21), and then A-basin(22nd...) on the drive back home to the Burgh.
sounds like a rough schedule...you have my sympathy:

i'll be at A-basin 26-29...if you end up staying there later, give a shout.

Quote:
For some unknown reason people would rather fight crowds and rocks in November than ski in May. Bachelor used to stay open until July 4, but no one came.
yep. small crowds. in the east we have to fight only rocks in the spring...and by then the skiis that were fresh in november are primed for a little abuse
it's beyond me why folks wouldn't want to ski when it's warm out...good corn is damn close to a powder day in my book.
post #16 of 17
squaw report, from may 5-7.

gets slushy after 11am, but great coverage for may. i've skied much worse and enjoyed it as skiing in may sure beats anything in Houston in may. it was 91 here yesterday and 61 in tahoe.
post #17 of 17
Last year Mammoth was doing gondola maintenance midweek in May/June but ran chair 23 instead, weather permitting. Chairs 1,2,3,6 and gondola are open every day, with 4,5 and 23 added on the weekends. Last year 14 ran some May weekends too.

Mammoth usually has the most usable terrain and best slope maintenance (salting the groomers if it's warm) in May/June. Bachelor was comparable but has cut back spring operations (thus the May 29 closing) since POWDR Corp took over in 2003.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel