New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hiking the Bowl 4/20

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well it had been a week since I'd gone skiing, and all the lifts were sitting idle, so I decided to go for a hike, to the top of Stuart Mountain the south slopes of which are the bowls of Montana Snowbowl. The ascent was around 2600 verticle feet, carrying my boots and skis (180 Chubbs) on my back, up Sunrise Bowl, Mogul Alley, Second Thought, Upper Spartan, and High Roller:



This is from Sunrise Bowl looking up the mountain over a snowless section of Mogul Alley:



TV Mountain's East facing slopes will be some premier lift served skiing if the master developement plan goes through:

post #2 of 22
Thread Starter 
I stopped for lunch at the A-frame "Mid Mountain Chalet" (no one calls it that) ate lunch and took a couple pics, here's the "Outhouse" trees with Missoula and the Bitteroot Valley in the distance:



And here's a look at Far East (at the left) the cliffs, and in front of them the Meadows:



Rules are rules, and this one is posted in the A-frame:



My hunger being blunted, it was time to continue on to the top, so I went to strap on the pack. In the distance is Squaw Mountain:

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
So onward and upward I went, with only this guy to keep me company:



At the top of the West Bowls I took another pic of the cliffs (because I think they're cool):



Here's a different view of the West Bowls looking down Patrol Chute toward the Wave:

post #4 of 22
Nice solo. Thanks for posting the trip. I guess its my turn soon. I'm surprised you don't have more snow there. How were conditions on the descent?
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well after tramping up to the tippy top and taking one last pic, I skied the gut of West Bowls to lower Red Bud and over to Angel Face to finish things off. Here's me with Point Six in the background:

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Nice solo. Thanks for posting the trip. I guess its my turn soon. I'm surprised you don't have more snow there. How were conditions on the descent?
Watcha talking 'bout, there's tons o' snow. Snowbowl's summit is only 7600 feet, and up there there's a 90 inch base, but down near the lodge it is really disappearing fast.

The snow was pretty sloppy on the way down, but not to the extent of being unpleasantly sticky. I really didn't time it right at all, I skied down around 3pm when it was warmest. It was fun being on the mountain, and a real workout getting up there, so I'll likely be doing it again soon.
post #7 of 22
Nice TR and sweet pics. You are not making my ski withdrawal any easier. Looks like you enjoyed a special day.
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tief schnee
Nice TR and sweet pics. You are not making my ski withdrawal any easier. Looks like you enjoyed a special day.
It was a lot less about skiing than climbing the Mountain as it turned out. I really hope I'll be able to make a habit out of it until there's no snow, and then just hike around and do some...er...ahem....pruning to open up some new lines for next year.
post #9 of 22
None the less, it looked like a great hike. Skiing it down is great icing on the cake.

Make sure you don't prune anything before it's mature.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tief schnee
Make sure you don't prune anything before it's mature.
Naw, just low dead branches and maybe some small standing dead trees in a burn.
post #11 of 22
Sweet, VA!
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Sweet, VA!
I really intend to do quite a bit of hiking for turns this spring, if I do, my legs will be like iron in no time, which is not to say the season didn't make my legs stronger than they've ever been, it did, but the hiking really adds the aerobic aspect which will increase my endurance as well as strength.
post #13 of 22
Boot packing 2,600FT is a big deal to me. Looks like a very satisfying tour.

I am going to guess this will not be a one time deal. That stuff looks like it will go corn pretty soon.

Thanks for taking the time to get the pic’s and share.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
I really intend to do quite a bit of hiking for turns this spring, if I do, my legs will be like iron in no time, which is not to say the season didn't make my legs stronger than they've ever been, it did, but the hiking really adds the aerobic aspect which will increase my endurance as well as strength.
I have just been doing crappy little 1 hour uphill tours every other day. I have lost almost 10 pounds in a couple weeks.

I am starting to like the uphill part as much as the ride down.:
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
I have just been doing crappy little 1 hour uphill tours every other day. I have lost almost 10 pounds in a couple weeks.

I am starting to like the uphill part as much as the ride down.:
Well there sure is a lot more of it to enjoy. 1 hour uphill tours are plenty to raise the heart rate,nothing to make light of, but will make you light.

I do plan to keep at it, and increase as I'm able to, I'd like to do a bit more skiing. While I'm not overly concerned with weight, it sure wouldn't hurt to return to the leaness of my younger years.
post #16 of 22
Great report and brings back so many nice memories. I had two great days there and skiing with you was good fun.

Hope to see you need season.
post #17 of 22
VA, you were skiing with Padde? There must be pics of powder nearby.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paedde
Great report and brings back so many nice memories. I had two great days there and skiing with you was good fun.

Hope to see you need season.
Hey paedde, I'll certainly be there if you come back next year. I suppose the Outhouse trees would bring back memories for you, since you were so inclned to dive in there.:
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
VA, you were skiing with Padde? There must be pics of powder nearby.
The day I skied with him, I didn't see him taking any pictures, we were just charging nonstop from the first chair on, until he took a break around two something. That was the fifth day I'd skied in a row and probably the best week of the year, I barely made it to last chair.
post #20 of 22
You really do look like rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict



See, I'm not as dumb as my tgr alter ego (hint, hint)....unless I'm wrong, in which case I am in fact a retard!!
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-EastCoaster
You really do look like rasputin






See, I'm not as dumb as my tgr alter ego (hint, hint)....unless I'm wrong, in which case I am in fact a retard!!
You must be a retard, there's no similarity at all:



post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
I repeat, no similarity at all.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home