or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Bra/Panty Tree

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
Could everyone tell me what they know of the folklore (skilore), tradition or customs associated with the colorfully decorated lift line trees at various ski resorts? Why underware? Why a tree? Why is it done ? All comments appreciated !

Thanks
post #2 of 68
It might have started at chair 5 in Vail.

Rumor has it that it initially required a ride and sexual act in the gondola.
post #3 of 68
I heard it's from apres ski conquests. I could be wrong.

Could be the porcupines have been partying again.
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonni
I heard it's from apres ski conquests.
I heard the same thing. Panty trees have been around a long time.
post #5 of 68
The Forest Service actually told Mt. Bachelor to remove them. They just took down the low hanging fruit. Can't get the others without a USFS certified tree climber.
post #6 of 68
I think the original idea was from Mardi Gras where the beads got tossed into the trees. There are a lot of folks that migrate from the New Orleans area at that time and take tradition with them. As I remember it the undergarments showed up later...

As I understand tradition at Mardi Gras the way young ladies get beads is by showing a little .....uh......chest . Then the bead toss happens. I'm sure the beads hit the trees here first, and the rest is history
post #7 of 68
I heard it orginally started on chair 2 at vail but they later made them move it to another chair. Basically if you had a sexual encounter you had to put the proof in the tree. I think later people just started throwing their own in. I once had the opportunity to see a girl take off her bra on the chair lift and throw in the tree at mount snow. I can't believe that that wouldn't be a little cold.
post #8 of 68
it started in aspen in the 50s under lift 5 (bell chair).

the idea is that you conquer a tourist lady, steel her panties and deposit them on the tree. It is only for tourist pantys.......but this is all skilore!
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd braun
it started in aspen in the 50s under lift 5 (bell chair).

the idea is that you conquer a tourist lady, steel her panties and deposit them on the tree. It is only for tourist pantys.......but this is all skilore!
Man! Is that anything like the bronzing of baby shoes that went on in the 50's?
post #10 of 68

easy lloyd, easy now ..

Poor llllllloyd was getting so wwwworked up over those "tourist panties" .. his fingers were jumping on the key board like spit on a ggggriddle!

post #11 of 68
In Philadelphia we have shoes tied together on Telly lines. In Stowe there is a bead tree at the top of the Four-Runner.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiStarr90
In Philadelphia we have shoes tied together on Telly lines. In Stowe there is a bead tree at the top of the Four-Runner.
Everywhere outside of Philly, sneakers on a wire is a drug dealer's calling card.
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiStarr90
In Philadelphia we have shoes tied together on Telly lines. In Stowe there is a bead tree at the top of the Four-Runner.
What does that mean in Philly??

Here it means that's where the drug action is....or a particular drug dealer's location/corner.....


I also heard the story of the conquest-take the panties/bra & deposit them on the tree story....
post #14 of 68
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the input. And here I thought it was a sign by the lady that she had made the conquest of a steep and "frightening" run. Like White Heat at Sunday River or the like. It is sounding that the fresh air just kicked the "desire" into gear !!! And Lloyd, I read that it began at Aspen. But I was looking for the reason why underware and why a tree --- the deeper meaning! Maybe there isn't that deep a meaning afterall!
post #15 of 68
Sneaks on a wire started in Philly in the late 60's. It was something that the kids did after high school graduation.

Sounds like the meaning has changed.

Phil from Philly will correct me .. ?? My "source" was a resident of "Nicetown" ...
post #16 of 68
There is an old shoe and Ski boot tree here in Park City behind The Main St Marriott time share.It's right by Poison Creek. From what I heard it is something that started way back in the 1940's or whenever the old High School was still off of Marsac Ave. When kids graduated They would tie thier old gym shoes together and toss them over a tree limb. At some point some skiers disposed of old ski boots in the same manor. Like most resorts there isa Bra and Pantie tree at PCMR. The old Gondola was rather slow took about 20 mins to get from The base to the top. When They replaced the Gondola PCMR had a good bye Gondola party. Lot's of old time locals got up to the mike and told stories of having sex in the old slow Gondola. The joke is there are a few kids in Town with the middle name "Gondola." such as local gold medal winner Ted "Gondola" Liggety
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah49
The old Gondola was rather slow took about 20 mins to get from The base to the top.
So, whatdya do for the other 19 minutes?
post #18 of 68
So you were the pervert looking in?
post #19 of 68
Bra tree explanation from TGR: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50343

Very mildly NSFW, I suppose.

Note the guy who says "How do I 'splain that to my 6 year old?", and the bra fence in NZ.
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
Sneaks on a wire started in Philly in the late 60's. It was something that the kids did after high school graduation.
It was something you'd see in all the little towns in eastern pennsylvania, too, in the 70s, long before drug dealer was a commonly used term. The small towns picked up on trends like this from philly. It was common for the high school track team or football team to throw their past years cleats or worn out running shoes on some overhead phone wires somewhere.

And typically the phone company linemen would complain to the shoool, which would filter down to the coaching staff, who would tell the kids not to do it, which of course just encouraged it. In a little town I know, I think there are some old shoes still up there from . . . the late 70s :.
post #21 of 68
Bra Tree Skiers Guide
Ski Vorlage-Quebec, Canada
Snowbird- directly under the Gadzoom chair, at approximately where the lower "Bassackwards" run intersects with the chair line.
Vail- Orient Express Lift in China Bowl
Mammoth- Chair 5 between the face of 5 and Sanctuary.
Squaw- Near a cross-country trail
Brighton- 2/3 of the way up Snake Creek
Mt. Snow- No. side somewhere
Aspen- Bell Mountain lift?
Brundage- under Centennial
Crested Butte--Keystone Quad (for skiing families)
Jackson Hole--Apres Vous Chair (ditto), a very festive tree
GrandTarghee--Dreamcatcher Quad
Snowbasin--saw one, don't remember where though
Another one about a third of the way up the sunrise lift at Solitude.
PCMR - about halfway up Pioneer, on the right
Snowbasin - I remember a really good one on the Middle Bowl chair
Breckenridge: Falcon lift, on right
Copper Mountain: American Flyer just before it crosses over Carefree
Santa Fe, halfway up one chair,
Bogus Basin had one on the Pine Creek chair.
Chair 5 at Vail
Shasta Ski Park- Under Douglas chair
To my knowledge there are no Bra trees in Austria or Europe for that matter. This sounds like a typical American, crazy, stupid, irresponsible thing to do.
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider
Bra Tree Skiers Guide

Ski Vorlage-Quebec, Canada
Snowbird- directly under the Gadzoom chair, at approximately where the lower "Bassackwards" run intersects with the chair line.
Vail- Orient Express Lift in China Bowl
Mammoth- Chair 5 between the face of 5 and Sanctuary.
Squaw- Near a cross-country trail
Brighton- 2/3 of the way up Snake Creek
Mt. Snow- No. side somewhere
Aspen- Bell Mountain lift?
Brundage- under Centennial
Crested Butte--Keystone Quad (for skiing families)
Jackson Hole--Apres Vous Chair (ditto), a very festive tree
GrandTarghee--Dreamcatcher Quad
Snowbasin--saw one, don't remember where though
Another one about a third of the way up the sunrise lift at Solitude.
PCMR - about halfway up Pioneer, on the right
Snowbasin - I remember a really good one on the Middle Bowl chair
Breckenridge: Falcon lift, on right
Copper Mountain: American Flyer just before it crosses over Carefree
Santa Fe, halfway up one chair,
Bogus Basin had one on the Pine Creek chair.
Chair 5 at Vail
Shasta Ski Park- Under Douglas chair
To my knowledge there are no Bra trees in Austria or Europe for that matter. This sounds like a typical American, crazy, stupid, irresponsible thing to do.
okay, first thing first.....It is a PANTY tree not a bratree!

secondly, it is only stupid to those who can't participate!

third, there is another panty tree on Aspen under lift 6
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider
Bra Tree Skiers Guide

Ski Vorlage-Quebec, Canada
Snowbird- directly under the Gadzoom chair, at approximately where the lower "Bassackwards" run intersects with the chair line.
Vail- Orient Express Lift in China Bowl
Mammoth- Chair 5 between the face of 5 and Sanctuary.
Squaw- Near a cross-country trail
Brighton- 2/3 of the way up Snake Creek
Mt. Snow- No. side somewhere
Aspen- Bell Mountain lift?
Brundage- under Centennial
Crested Butte--Keystone Quad (for skiing families)
Jackson Hole--Apres Vous Chair (ditto), a very festive tree
GrandTarghee--Dreamcatcher Quad
Snowbasin--saw one, don't remember where though
Another one about a third of the way up the sunrise lift at Solitude.
PCMR - about halfway up Pioneer, on the right
Snowbasin - I remember a really good one on the Middle Bowl chair
Breckenridge: Falcon lift, on right
Copper Mountain: American Flyer just before it crosses over Carefree
Santa Fe, halfway up one chair,
Bogus Basin had one on the Pine Creek chair.
Chair 5 at Vail
Shasta Ski Park- Under Douglas chair
To my knowledge there are no Bra trees in Austria or Europe for that matter. This sounds like a typical American, crazy, stupid, irresponsible thing to do.
Adding:

Steamboat, under Storm Peak Express - they're starting on a second tree now. Also, a new tree started under Burgess Creek on the right side (only has a half dozen articles as of this Shrove Tuesday).
post #24 of 68
I never realized that it's only for women's underware. It was kind of embarasing to find that out.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joness
I never realized that it's only for women's underware. It was kind of embarasing to find that out.
And we were even more embarrased
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joness
I never realized that it's only for women's underware. It was kind of embarasing to find that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
And we were even more embarrased
What did you guys do at Killington last weekend ?
post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Everywhere outside of Philly, sneakers on a wire is a drug dealer's calling card.
Then does this mark Cheech and Chongs "special garden"

post #28 of 68
This whole thing sounds kind of gross.


btw - "Panties"? It's a bit of an outdated word now, isn't it?
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joness
I never realized that it's only for women's underware. It was kind of embarasing to find that out.
Question; Was that before or after you threw yours on the tree? : : : :
post #30 of 68
There's NOTHING sexy or interesting about men's underwear to anyone (male or female). It's just disgusting.

Now, female underwear - well, that's a tad different!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion