I think Stein Erickson in his day was one of the greatest visual examples the sport produced. I'm sure he sold a lot of ski instruction and excited many people with the possibilities of the sport but even that does not necessarily equate to good ski instruction. I had a student once who was proud of the fact that he had a number of private lessons with Stein back in the day. From his description of those lessons it seems to have largely revolved around watching Stein ski and of having his ski boots taped together to promote his skiing with his feet together. He still could not ski very well. Nevertheless there is no question that visual imagery is a powerful sales and marketing tool.
- itemLoon Mountaintagged by System, 7/27/10
Related Forum Threads
- What's your COLDEST ever ski experience? Last post on 6/30/16 at 3:45am in General Skiing Discussion
- "Top" Family Ski Resorts, anything new for 2015-16? [A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:10pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- CNL looking for buyer for 16 ski resorts, operational leases would not change Last post on 5/16/16 at 1:56pm in Skiing News
- Loon Mountain, NH? Last post on 1/2/14 at 7:11pm in General Skiing Discussion
- East Coast Suggestions Last post on 11/4/13 at 7:19pm in General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
Last edited: 9/14/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- There's Something About Skiing New HampshireLast edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Matt Boyd resigns from Loon - Page 3post #61 of 658/7/10 at 5:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 658/17/10 at 12:37pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Skyball
....... Lets face it , most companies in the USA are way too bottom line driven and shortsighted about the future. Another thing is the "Numbers" can be manipulated anyway they want to show what fits. I really think all of us instructors need to take charge and demand changes that are benificial for our guests.
A lot of management in this country hasn't come up "through the ranks" of either the company or industry/sport...ime.post #63 of 659/21/10 at 10:14amQuote:Ski areas are a loss leader for the rich and always have been.
What planet are you from? Ski areas barely break even. Vail is a public company and you can see what they make from their skiing operations. Total operating margin, including real estate is about 5%.post #64 of 659/21/10 at 10:35amQuote:
Which leads one to reasonably ask why anyone or any company would leverage the purchase of one of these (ski areas)? The answer, apart from foolishness, may be that the ski area is just a necessary part of a larger scheme that does make money. In the case of Loon, while I'm not familiar with the details, I would suspect that someone has, or hoped to, made out quite well from the South Mtn. real estate scheme.
post #65 of 659/21/10 at 2:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by CandySki areas are a loss leader for the rich and always have been.Quote:
Key words in Candy's post = loss leader -> she's on the same planet as you.
Now I can't remember the name of the 2 poor brothers who were involved in Vail (one of whom became more famous for some podunk resort in Utah) , but there was something slightly (cough) fishy about their wealth. Just sayin' that loss leader, rich people and ski resort are ok to fit into the same breath.
- Matt Boyd resigns from Loon
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Brand New Skis - Do they need wax? 1 minute ago
- › Skiers Edge is defintely not strength training! 10 minutes ago
- › Ski Rack: Top of Vehicle with 6-8 Skis? 12 minutes ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 13 minutes ago
- › CO Man ordered to pay $260,000 in damages from skiing accident 19 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 28 minutes ago
- › PA/DE/So. NJ 2016/2017 45 minutes ago
- › Relatively New Skier, Need Some Help On Ski Width/Shape! 51 minutes ago
- › Cross country skiing, colorful (base layer) clothing 56 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer