EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster -- Railflex or NO Railflex????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Monster -- Railflex or NO Railflex????

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm interested in an all-mountain ski, and am considering the Head Monster iM77. Can anyone comment on the railflex system? What are the pluses/minuses to the railflex system? Thanks.
post #2 of 16
The RailFlex binding is great due to the versatility it adds to the ski. But with the im77 it goes beyond that. The ski actually come in either the flat non chip version, or the chip RailFlex version.

I demoed the chip version w/railflex and wasn't really impressed. It was a great ski, but didn't have the rebound and the energy that I like in a ski. The shop owner, who knows my likes well, insisted that if that's what was missing from my perspective, that I try the non chip version as it was known to have more energy. The RealSkier reviews supported his claim (they rate the non chip above the chip version in rebound, quickness, and forgiveness), so I took the plunge and couldn't be happier.

BTW, I mounted it with the RailFlex 2 binding.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

is it the black version?

Thanks Coach! Is the non-chip the black version, or is it the yellow? Thanks.
post #4 of 16

The im77 Chip is the orange/yellow/fall colors one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney24
Thanks Coach! Is the non-chip the black version, or is it the yellow? Thanks.

The im77 Chip is the orange/yellow/fall colors one, and has the word Intelligence System Chip in front of the binding. I don't know the colors of the non-chip, but if black is the other choice then that must be non-chip. Make sure it's the 77, I believe the iM75 from prior years was black as well. Note that the im77 non-chip will still have the intelligence system/fibers.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney24
Thanks Coach! Is the non-chip the black version, or is it the yellow? Thanks.
The non chip is mostly black.
post #6 of 16
I didnt like the railflex system because the ski-stoppers didnt fold flush with the sidewalls. This is a thing to consider when desiding between the two. Same thing with the Fischer RX series and the high end Atomic Cross skis (sx metron I believe). The Tyrolia LD12 Cyber is a good all mountain binding and it has an additional 10mm lift over regular FF14 for example.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6
I didnt like the railflex system because the ski-stoppers didnt fold flush with the sidewalls.
That's true only for low end bindings without diagonal heel.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stekan
That's true only for low end bindings without diagonal heel.
You are right about the railflex and the fischers but those atomic neox bindings are not low end.... http://winter.atomicski.com/product_...hp?c=bi&l=neox

Look at the stoppers!!!!
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

what's with the chip

If the non-chip still has the intelligen system/fibers, then what is the chip? Thanks.
post #10 of 16

I believe they work

There has been a lot of discussion (some using engineering terms I can't understand) saying that what Head claims isn't possible.

Anyway, the "chip" acts like an amplifier/filter/?capacitor?. Rather than a steady feedback of electrical current from the fibers and back to the fibers (as is the case with the non chip intelligence skis), the "chip" stores and feeds back the energy in bursts very short intervals. Head marketing types says 7 times the amplification, I think. They have also used this in their higher end tennis rackets.

Chip ski dampness. I believe the main characteristic of the chip skis is a softer ski at slow speeds that stiffens as loads increase. This is what I like about them. However, it seems logical that the other side of variable stiffness is a 'relaxing' of the ski as the load is removed, and therefore less rebound pop. In fact, it would seem logical that, as the ski rebounds and counterflexes, the chip/fibers would actually act to resist the rebound flex just as they resist loaded flex.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6
You are right about the railflex and the fischers but those atomic neox bindings are not low end.... http://winter.atomicski.com/product_...hp?c=bi&l=neox

Look at the stoppers!!!!
I thought that we are talking about railflex here. I never liked Atomic bindings and had Tyrolia mounted on Atomic SL:9 few years ago.

Regarding Intelligence and Chip technologies I'm not believer (to make 7 times something from nothing !?), but I love my Monster i.M72 and my wife is happy on i.C160.
post #12 of 16
It wouldn't produce an opposing force in rebound because the electricity produced by the piezoelectric fibres is proportional to the magnitude of the change in strain. So basically while ever the ski is being deformed the "intelligence" fibres are generating a signal which is trying to reverse the deformation. So it should give you extra pop out of turns. Advanced Cerametrics Inc, which is behind the technology says it is equivalent to an extra 6" of functional edge.
post #13 of 16
I am reviving this thread after a long hiatus it seems. I have the possibility to put Tyrolia RFD 12 bindings on my 07 Head Monster 77 skis or to go ahead with installing Rossi Axial bindings.

Which leads me to my question...which is better...railflex vs no raiflex?

If anyone has any experience with non Tyrolia bindings on 07 Head Monster 77 skis, how do they ski? (In terms of rebound, forgiveness, manueverability, etc...)
post #14 of 16
If anyone has input on this issue it would be greatly appreciated. I am in a bit
of a time crunch as I need to let the ski shop know what I am going to do.

Does the railflex make that big of a difference? (lift and binding point adjustments)

I am going to install Rossi Axial 110 Tplate bindings unless I hear otherwise...thanx:
post #15 of 16
One thread wasn't enough?

The T-power plate on the Rossi binding will give the same basic amount of lift as the Railflex, so that's a wash.

The Railflex can be moved, the Rossi can't...only you can decide if this important for you. Do you like to tinker with stuff? Do you like gizmo's? Do you feel like there must be a 'perfect' setting you'll find if you just experiment enough? If you answer Yes, the railflex is the way to go. If you answer No, if you want to just ski then it has no advantage.

The freeflex of the binding won't reduce snow feel as you've surmised on your other thread...but it won't be a noticeable advantage either.

I'd say you'll like the ski with either binding, go with the simplest option and stop messing with the poor ski tech at the shop.
post #16 of 16
My apologies about the two threads. I have not been bugging the ski shop tech at all since I decided to go with the Rossi bindings, just you guys

With that said, I do like to, as you say, "tinker" with stuff but when it comes to skis, I think I might be better off learning the ski one way as I just plain want to ski. : Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster -- Railflex or NO Railflex????