New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic SX b5

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi there won a pair.
not sure if i am gonna mount them up and ski em or sell them.
I normaly ski a pair of metron b5s.
Has any one skied the sx b5?
let me know what your thoughts are on the sx b5
tanks mucho
post #2 of 16
If you want to sell them to a charity case, I would be interested. I should have bought some on Ebay that were cheap last month.

Ty
post #3 of 16
What size are the SXB5's that you have? They are a super stable but very stiff cross ski that demand pilot skill and attention at all times.
If you get caught in the back seat they'll launch you.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscapes
What size are the SXB5's that you have? They are a super stable but very stiff cross ski that demand pilot skill and attention at all times.
If you get caught in the back seat they'll launch you.
ok, can you expand on your thoughts?
i ski the mb5 @162 tr 10m.
the mb5 carves perfect turns on gromers. i also ski it in the bumps(a ibt of work but fun any way).
now onto the sxb5 tr 18.m(or so)166cm.
does it lay down two seamless rails in the snow like the mb5 does?
does it react to railing pinky toe turns like the mb5?
at 18 mtr vs a 10m tr i would think it might need quite a bit of edege angle to get them to realy lay down short raidous turns.meed to long raidous turns....with a 18 tr that goes with out saying.
i find that the mb5 skis like it had a built in auto pilot when you want to leave your sig in the snow.
(my mb5s have over 100 days on them and after all the tunes(hand) the edeges are almost gone).
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
bump!
post #6 of 16
I got a pair of the SX 5 's about a month ago and prior to that had been skiing most of the time on a Metron X1. The difference in the turn radius 18 meter vs. 12 is very obvious, so the very subtle rolling of the ankles that can produce instant carves with the Metrons won't produce the same short radius turn with the SXB5. However, the hard snow grip the SXB5 posesses is excellent. The ski is rock solid and I think is pretty easy to turn. Its sidecut reinforces its preferences for longer turns. I have a 174 cm and I am very pleased with the ski. The thing is that when you have been skiing a 12 meter ski the switch to a larger turning radius is a bit of an adjustment. I'm still not certain which ski between the two I prefer. I think if you have the Metron the SXB5 is a great "switch it up" ski.
post #7 of 16
I have been on the '04? (first model year) SX:B5 in 174 cm. I am 5' 9" 160 lbs, skied for four years, raced for two.All of my sking has been in the East.

Rest of the quiver: Salamon Verse 7 160 cm, Volkl P50 Porcshe (P50 SC light) 156 cm.

I love my SX:B5's. I got them at the end of last season and didn't get to ski them untill this season. My first run on these I couldn't stop laughing. It was some early season artifical snow that had been skied on and groommed a couple of times. To get these to turn, all I had to do was tip them up on edge. The rest of the turn was taken care of. They were so damp, and carved so cleanly, that untill a few days out on them, I couldn't sense condition changes as I skied over them. I skied about two hours a day, five days a week this season. About half of those days were on my B5s. I have taken them through every snow condition we have had on the East this year (Everything but powder). In all conditions, and on every slope (save bullet proof ice, on near sheer drops) they held on, and responded to all my input. I used these as my GS skis, and was faster than many people on my team with "real" GS skis. As far as this being a stiff ski, yes it is a bit stiff. But I didn't feel it overly so. I ski agressively and have a tendancy to really work my skis, so this may be why I didn't mind. I felt that my Volkls would buck me before these.

I have never been on the Metron B5s so I can't compare the two.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korporal
I have been on the '04? (first model year) SX:B5 in 174 cm. I am 5' 9" 160 lbs, skied for four years, raced for two.All of my sking has been in the East.

Rest of the quiver: Salamon Verse 7 160 cm, Volkl P50 Porcshe (P50 SC light) 156 cm.

I love my SX:B5's. I got them at the end of last season and didn't get to ski them untill this season. My first run on these I couldn't stop laughing. It was some early season artifical snow that had been skied on and groommed a couple of times. To get these to turn, all I had to do was tip them up on edge. The rest of the turn was taken care of. They were so damp, and carved so cleanly, that untill a few days out on them, I couldn't sense condition changes as I skied over them. I skied about two hours a day, five days a week this season. About half of those days were on my B5s. I have taken them through every snow condition we have had on the East this year (Everything but powder). In all conditions, and on every slope (save bullet proof ice, on near sheer drops) they held on, and responded to all my input. I used these as my GS skis, and was faster than many people on my team with "real" GS skis. As far as this being a stiff ski, yes it is a bit stiff. But I didn't feel it overly so. I ski agressively and have a tendancy to really work my skis, so this may be why I didn't mind. I felt that my Volkls would buck me before these.

I have never been on the Metron B5s so I can't compare the two.
now that what i wanted 2 hear.
i skied the m11 and thought it was a dog.(it might have been my weight 197 lbs. although i thought it skied well in soft snow. ut on the hard stuff it was down right spooky at speed.)
i to did realy well in a few gs races on my B5s.( i usealy run a pair of head wc gs)
so it looks like i will mount them up and see how they do up at yo-hunnah or k-mart.
again thanks mucho...
hey you race asra?
Paul Elliott.
post #9 of 16
I ran a new pair of SX B5's today and Windam. All hard pack with some ice and a light dusting of the natural stuff as the day went on. I brought my all purpose Metron B5's (in case the SX's weren't really holding) and also my Volkl 4 stars (beat-up rock skis). The SX's begged for speed and gave me all I could handle. They were extremely stable at speeds that launched me off of the ground on the blue runs. It was really fun catching air as the ground fell away on blue ridges. On hard pack I highly recommend them. I used to have SX-7's, and I despised them as my worst ski purchase ever.


FYI - I'm a level 8-9 (not a true expert in the powder from lack of experiance) about 6 foot 1 inch and 175 pounds.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T
hey you race asra?
Paul Elliott.
No, I raced with my highschool, which is a member of NEPSAC (New England Prep School Athletic Confrence?) Class ...erm....*cough* C *cough*. Although we did race against some class A teams and place second in the leauge.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T
Hi there won a pair.
not sure if i am gonna mount them up and ski em or sell them.
I normaly ski a pair of metron b5s.
Has any one skied the sx b5?
let me know what your thoughts are on the sx b5
tanks mucho
Absolutely a terrible ski. Your best bet is to ship them to me before anyone sees you with them

(Tanslation I wish I had a pair, but I can't afford to buy any more skis right now. Mindy you 166 is a little too short for what I have in mind.)
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thank you one and all 4 your imput!
Yeah their 166 cm skis....Hope they will do the trick.
Paul Elliott
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T
Thank you one and all 4 your imput!
Yeah their 166 cm skis....Hope they will do the trick.
Paul Elliott
If you think they are too short for you and want to sell them, let me know. That length would be great for me!
Although, that's probably a lot of ski for me!!!!:
post #14 of 16
Just wondering how did you win them?
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegold
Just wondering how did you win them?
I won them at a race...Swag Is where its at!
post #16 of 16
Please don't take my earlier comments as a criticism.
They are terrific skis for a skilled skier however, some skill by the person on them is mandatory. Ex or present racers would love them as they are a step above the SX11 which is a cross ski that has won many a competition.
I would a rgue with anyone who doesn't feel that they have a stiff tail.
there design dictates such.
As for having a great hold on ice and blasting thru crud, there are few if any better.
They won't turn quite as easily as a MB5 but what does?
166cm may be a tad short for your weight however. Try a 174 and see what you think.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion