or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › Allons enfants de la Patrie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allons enfants de la Patrie...

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
A quite satisfying sunday :
In the 6 nations tournament (that's rugby for you, 'mericans) France crushed England 31-6. And I was right there, in the Stade de France.
those 2 facts are probably unrelated though...

And a Renault won the first GP of the 2006 F1 season.

Just to let you know !
post #2 of 20

kermits smash the Pommies!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR
A quite satisfying sunday :
In the 6 nations tournament (that's rugby for you, 'mericans) France crushed England 31-6. And I was right there, in the Stade de France.
those 2 facts are probably unrelated though...

waiting for commentary from fox
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR
A quite satisfying sunday :
In the 6 nations tournament (that's rugby for you, 'mericans) France crushed England 31-6. And I was right there, in the Stade de France.
those 2 facts are probably unrelated though...

Is it not 'Allons mes enfants de la grande patrie' ?

I think it is more a case of how badly England played. They just could not do the basics for some reason. I do not think France played particularly well. Having said that, the kicker with the Georgian name is much better than Michelak(spelling ?)

France nearly let England back in at one point; but at least the 'fickle' Paris crowd did not boo their own, like in the Ireland game. Maybe France should play the internationals in somewhere like Toulouse ?

Not a great year for the six nations this one, though Italy seem to be getting better now. At least there is some element of unpredictability returning to the games, which adds interest.

You are wasting your time posting about sport on here.

Why don't you come over to snowheads(www.snowheads.com). There are 13000 posts on Rugby Union alone in the 'apres' forum. Plenty of English and Celts have had there say - but no proper Frenchmen (as opposed to ex-pat Brits) or Italians so far. You would probably get a lot of sympathy from the Celts too.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
You are wasting your time posting about sport on here.

Why don't you come over to snowheads(www.snowheads.com). There are 13000 posts on Rugby Union alone in the 'apres' forum. Plenty of English and Celts have had there say - but no proper Frenchmen (as opposed to ex-pat Brits) or Italians so far. You would probably get a lot of sympathy from the Celts too.
He's right you know...http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/v...ic.php?t=14398
post #5 of 20

le jour de gloire est arrive!

finalement!
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
Is it not 'Allons mes enfants de la grande patrie' ?

I think it is more a case of how badly England played. They just could not do the basics for some reason. I do not think France played particularly well. Having said that, the kicker with the Georgian name is much better than Michelak(spelling ?)

France nearly let England back in at one point; but at least the 'fickle' Paris crowd did not boo their own, like in the Ireland game. Maybe France should play the internationals in somewhere like Toulouse ?

Not a great year for the six nations this one, though Italy seem to be getting better now. At least there is some element of unpredictability returning to the games, which adds interest.

You are wasting your time posting about sport on here.

Why don't you come over to snowheads(www.snowheads.com). There are 13000 posts on Rugby Union alone in the 'apres' forum. Plenty of English and Celts have had there say - but no proper Frenchmen (as opposed to ex-pat Brits) or Italians so far. You would probably get a lot of sympathy from the Celts too.
Yes, spot on analysis.
Michalak can be outstanding, but he's going through difficult times. he has been injured also. Actualy, he's your typical french rugby player. He can be brilliant or awful, depending on the mood, the weather, the moon phase or whatever else...
But this time, the English blew it up big time. Quite unusual from them. The last try from Dominici is umbelievable. What a snafu !

Oh, and I got my anthem right, trust me !
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irul&ublo
waiting for commentary from fox
Isn't he Irish ?
Are you confusing an Irishman with an Englishman ?!:
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR
Isn't he Irish ?
Are you confusing an Irishman with an Englishman ?!:
He's usually had enough Guinness that he is confused.
post #9 of 20
I once went to a game in La Stade de France on a hot summer day -- a few years ago. It's quite an experience! I was also in Paris when Brazil and Germany played in some kind of final ... as I recall Brazil won and the city was bedlam!
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by klkaye
I once went to a game in La Stade de France on a hot summer day -- a few years ago. It's quite an experience! I was also in Paris when Brazil and Germany played in some kind of final ... as I recall Brazil won and the city was bedlam!
A Brazil Vs Germany in Paris ?
Did you mean you watched it on TV while in Paris ? If so, I guess you're thinking of the '02 soccer world cup final, in japan. (Brazil won 2-0).
Quite a painful memory, this world cup...
post #11 of 20
And who said the French don't have victories? After Battle of the Chesapeake (September 5, 1781) and last weekend it's getting to become a bit of a habit.

Besides Renault won because of a pit stop advantage - they spend more time repairing their cars than others
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBrian
And who said the French don't have victories? After Battle of the Chesapeake (September 5, 1781) and last weekend it's getting to become a bit of a habit.
A bit churlish I think.

What about the French football team as well ?

Every Anglo Saxon chooses to forget the battle of Austerlitz (big anniversary this year)

Are you DB on Snowheads by any chance ?
post #13 of 20
yes phillipe -- it was '02. I remember being in la place (le?) de la concorde and people were running and screaming through the streets!
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
A bit churlish I think.

What about the French football team as well ?

Every Anglo Saxon chooses to forget the battle of Austerlitz (big anniversary this year)

Are you DB on Snowheads by any chance ?

Austerlitz why would I mention that, was it a French defeat over the English?

Churllish? well you're thinking wrong, look at the smilies - it's nothing but friendly banter. Why is it that when we meet on the internet you seem to be looking for, or interpreting something into a problem?
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBrian
And who said the French don't have victories? After Battle of the Chesapeake (September 5, 1781) and last weekend it's getting to become a bit of a habit.

Besides Renault won because of a pit stop advantage - they spend more time repairing their cars than others
31-6...
thirty one to six...
XXXI - VI...
France 31 - England 6
lalalala... I can't hear you...
post #16 of 20
philippeR,
No you're right credit where credit is due, 31 points is a big score.


It's exactly 31 points more than you scored in the last world cup.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBrian
philippeR,
No you're right credit where credit is due, 31 points is a big score.


It's exactly 31 points more than you scored in the last world cup.
Now, that's a low trick !

But, hey, since we're confusing rugby and football, shall we compare our score in alpine skiing either ?
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR
Now, that's a low trick !

But, hey, since we're confusing rugby and football, shall we compare our score in alpine skiing either ?
Only if it's based on our current locations (France & Austria) .
post #19 of 20
Well done France for the championship.

I did not watch the match against Wales, as I assumed France would win.

However, I did catch a bit of it on the telly when I was down the shops.

Wales were ahead at that stage and it was looking good for the England v Ireland game. Driving home I heard the result, so last match there was less to play for.

I think Le Monde has it right :-

'Longtemps dominée par les Gallois, la France a repris à Cardiff l'avantage sur un essai de Florian Fritz, à la réception d'une passe au pied de Frédéric Michalak'

Lots of good little kicks this Saturday that led to tries. The Italians did it, then France, then Ireland.

I am not sure about this super Saturday idea with successive televised matches. It could give a team an advantage if they know exactly what score they need to play for.
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
Well done France for the championship.

I did not watch the match against Wales, as I assumed France would win.

However, I did catch a bit of it on the telly when I was down the shops.

Wales were ahead at that stage and it was looking good for the England v Ireland game. Driving home I heard the result, so last match there was less to play for.

I think Le Monde has it right :-

'Longtemps dominée par les Gallois, la France a repris à Cardiff l'avantage sur un essai de Florian Fritz, à la réception d'une passe au pied de Frédéric Michalak'

Lots of good little kicks this Saturday that led to tries. The Italians did it, then France, then Ireland.

I am not sure about this super Saturday idea with successive televised matches. It could give a team an advantage if they know exactly what score they need to play for.
I missed the game too !
I was out saturday afternoon, but had set my hdd recorder to catch the full afternoon of rugby ... only to find that a fuse has blown out at my place and that there was no electricity when we came back in the evening. Crap !
But I think it's safe to assume that the northern nations will need to raise their game for the 2007 World Cup...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Sports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › Allons enfants de la Patrie...