New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old farts going for LIII - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Hey, I am not an old fart.

I am a geriatric flatulator.
post #32 of 44
Jean Mills passed her Level III at an advanced age with flying colors, and still teaches skiing: http://aolsvc.skimag.aol.com/skimag/...066636,00.html
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
Jean Mills passed her Level III at an advanced age with flying colors, and still teaches skiing: http://aolsvc.skimag.aol.com/skimag/...066636,00.html
Wow, Nolo, thanks. Jean Mills instantly because one of my heros!
post #34 of 44
At Breck we had an instructor who passed at the age of 67 or 68 (he was a displaced refugee during WWII and didn't know his exact age). His attitude was amazing as was his work ethic.
post #35 of 44
Wow--I'm nearly 43, didn't know I was getting into the "aged" group. Most of the folks I know working to L3 are above 35, most are 40's.
post #36 of 44
Steve, Jean and her late husband Jim will live forever in the generations of kids they taught to ski and race in SW Montana. (They had no kids of their own.) Jean served as secretary of NRM for a long tenure and even did a short stint as PSIA Rep, but the role as high muckety muck didn't appeal to her much. She's a real lady who rips, something I'd like to be someday too.
post #37 of 44
The old fart who passed level III whom Bob was refering to was Frank Hicks who passed in Angel Fire NM in 2001 at the age of 74. He is, to my knowledge, the oldest ever to do so.
Frank fought in Italy during the war, came home to the east coast and learned the "patrol roll" as a national. When he came to Angel Fire in the late eighties, he began his reinvention as a skier. He shed baggage we can only dream of. He is still one on one of the first chairs every morning he can be, rain or shine. He teaches part time. He earned every point and every accolade. He is my personal hero.
post #38 of 44
Hey josseph go for it. We've had two guys in their 60s pass here at Vail.
Start working out now, stretch and have fun. It's the journey...
Do you know my cousin Corky Chamberlin, a snowboard instructor?
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
The old fart who passed level III whom Bob was refering to was Frank Hicks who passed in Angel Fire NM in 2001 at the age of 74. He is, to my knowledge, the oldest ever to do so.
Frank fought in Italy during the war, came home to the east coast and learned the "patrol roll" as a national. When he came to Angel Fire in the late eighties, he began his reinvention as a skier. He shed baggage we can only dream of. He is still one on one of the first chairs every morning he can be, rain or shine. He teaches part time. He earned every point and every accolade. He is my personal hero.
out of the fog comes a ghost from the past. and i thought i was your hero. now if we could just resurrect notorious spag we'd have the good old days.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Guy
out of the fog comes a ghost from the past. and i thought i was your hero. now if we could just resurrect notorious spag we'd have the good old days.
You'll have to get BB to start posting again for it to be like the good old days
post #41 of 44
I'm with you Rusty Guy
Robin, where ya been? Where is the Notorious?
I got my L III at 49 but that's pretty young compared to those other guys.
post #42 of 44

Old Fart with gold - at 62

I got my gold pin Saturday at Stevens Pass, WA. I did very well on all the skiing tasks except the hop turns (which I didn't practice enough). I'll be 63 in about a month. If I had been doing a set or two of hop turns each day I skied, as people told me to, I don't think I would have had problems with them. I retired in January so I was able to ski quite a bit this season.
post #43 of 44
congrats Havens
post #44 of 44
Well, dang it. I was just typing up a flyer on Havens' L3 success in another window when he popped in and beat me to the post.

Yep, another fellow in that Over-The-Slope Gang has just made off with an L3 pin. He not only passed the Skiing Module, he did it at Stevens Pass, WA - not an easy place to do it.

Though conditions were clear and sunny, it weren’t no easy day. A layer of ice was hidden under the groomers providing an element of uncertainty in Medium Radius and Short radius turns, Downhill Skating and One-Ski skiing. And those ever-Evil Hop Turns were asked for in abundance. Havens easily conquered each task and asked ‘Please Sir, may I have another…’ (That is, except for during Hop Turns)

In the afternoon session our Tour Guides… er, Examiners took us down the backside at Stevens Pass for a combination of Bumps, Medium Radius Turns in the Bumps and ‘Variable Conditions’ - all combined into a single run.

Under the ‘Southern Cross’ chair we found 6 - 12” of wet, gloppy Cascade Concrete to ski through. Even one of the Examiners double-ejected into a great little summersault down into the glop. But Havens, he just read a magazine while doing his Bump runs. OK, maybe that’s an exaggeration. But he still made it look pretty easy. And he skied circles around us.

OK, half-circles… like when I tuckered out and had to pull off to the side for a rest, Havens made a nice Medium Radius turn around my position in the Bumps to distract the Examiners from me while I gasped for enough air to continue on. I tried that same ski track and wasn't able to make it look as easy as Havens did.

I’d agree with posts above that age is a lot less important than conditioning, skill and knowledge. It was a challenging day, especially in the afternoon and Havens never hesitated to jump right in and ski the task above the standard.

So, -Congratulations- for a solid Level 3 performance (especially at Stevens Pass) to Havens!

Now, it’s on to those Pipe & Park credentials, right?

.ma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching