EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Didnt see that 70West posting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Didnt see that 70West posting

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
so it took 3+ hrs to get from breck to denver today. it was snowing and around 4:30 when i left. i do not think that adding extra lanes would help though, they need to limit drivers liscense' instead. just about every 500ft (being generous) it went down from 3 lanes to 1 lane. this was due to the total ineptitude of colorado drivers. it is snow, not hot lava. if you do not have 4-wheel drive, join a carpool (skicarpool.com) or find another ride. if you drive a semi, find another route. these people blow my mind. if it says chains are required, use the friggin chains. about 20 of them just sitting there immobile, causing traffic jams, b/c, you guessed it, no chains. didnt leave 1st gear the whole way up, and didnt leave 2nd coming back down thanks to all those clowns. you do not win a prize for using the brake pedal, even when you see a hill or a tunnel. all the constant and sudden braking is what causes cars to lose control and traction. this causes traffic jams. also, please use salt on the roads, not sand or gravel or whaever it is. coming from the midwest, salt seems much more effective.

just venting a little bit after dealing with morons for the last few hours. dont drive like a pyscho, no. rather, stay in control and GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!!
post #2 of 28
ok for semis finding another route, so you want your food coming in to denver, and your coors beer headed west to be late getting to the stores? You find them a route that gets them to and from Denver that is just as fast, and iam sure they would take it.
Alot of trucking companies route thier trucks on a certain route for many reasons. The drivers have to abide by the rules., or lose thier job, thus causeing a further shortege of truck drivers. Those trucks you saw may or may not of had chains. Some companies prohibt the use of chains, no load is worth chaining for. And cars wouldnt lose control if they weren't tail gating the truck, who were riding thier brakes. You tail gate a truck and he has to stop fast, you run into him, its you who gets the ticket for following to closely. Dont always blame the truckers,, i see many 4wheelers doing STUPID things around trucks, that casues problems. ie. tailgating so close the trucker cant see you in his mirrors,4 wheelers who wont get out of the way , when they can, when the trucker needs to change lanes.
Colorado, does need to improve the situation,, close the road till the storms move out, i dont know, i dont have the answer.
I agree use salt. But then the tree huggers out here will CRY FOUL cause salt damages the weeds and trees, and gets into the water shed, thus the cities then have to clean/ treat it, and then there goes the water rates out of the world
Hey wait a sec. just close the entire road, tear it out ,put it back the way it was 100 years ago. there problem solved.
post #3 of 28
You nailed it Tahoetr. Sure there are trucks that cause problems, but as someone who has driven I-70 thousands of times, I can tell you that 90% of the traffic problems are caused by skiers going to and from the resorts in a big hurry.

Brannen is right. If the sign says chain law in effect, then use chains. However, many times CDOT will enact the chain law only after two or three big rigs lose traction and block the road.
post #4 of 28
At least Cdot doesn't do like California does,,, screen for chains or even req. them on 50 miles of bare pavement, when caltrans sees 3 or more flakes fall.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetr
At least Cdot doesn't do like California does,,, screen for chains or even req. them on 50 miles of bare pavement, when caltrans sees 3 or more flakes fall.

How true. I have had to buy, and put on chains in Truckee (for my car) and had wet pavement until we took them off.
post #6 of 28
Hey tahoetr:

Since we are discussing trucks, why is that they ALWAYS pull out into the middle lane of a three lane highway to pass a slower truck, as if no one else is on the road? Going up I-80 to Parley's this happens almost every day, to the point that I can predict it and lay back. Unfortunately most other drivers do not know it's coming and get nearly run off the road or have to lay on the brakes so hard they almost skid. The real issue is that the speed discrepancy between an uphill truck pulling out into the middle lane to pass an even slower truck is tremendous in comparison to a car. I've litterally seen a truck doing 15 pull out into the lane amoungst cars doing 80. Yes, I know truckers want to keep their momentum going, but this is downright dangerous. How much momentum is lost going up the hill at 15 vs. 20? Can't you just gear down and keep the engine speed higher?

Just currious,

Powdr
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
Hey tahoetr:

How much momentum is lost going up the hill at 15 vs. 20? Can't you just gear down and keep the engine speed higher?

Just currious,

Powdr

I think it is a matter of perspective. If you are in a truck doing 30 mph and get behind a rig doing 15 going the 8 miles up Parley's, you will lose 16 minutes. If you are in a car doing 80, and have to slow down for a few seconds to move to another lane, then you may lose 20 seconds off of your trip up the hill. By the way, the speed limit is only 60 or 65 going up Parley's...

Remember, the guy in the truck is making his living on that road. You are using it as a means to get to your recreational area. I would say his time is more valuable than yours.

If you do not agree, then let that trucker use your desk at work for a few hours during the day so he can play poker or chess with his buddies. You can just wait until they are finished to get back to work. If it makes you have to stay late, then that is fine.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
this was due to the total ineptitude of colorado drivers.
Whoa thar young fella! Wouldn't be surprised this time of year if a lot of those Colorado plates were Colorado rental cars driven by Texans. One Texan in a quarter-inch of snow can slow down a whole line of local drivers!

As for not using salt on the roads - hey we drink the water that comes from the watersheds up here. What melts and flows down off the road is going to end up somebody's drinking water here in the west, either down on the Front Range and in Denver, up here in the mountains, on the Western Slope or out in California.

So it took 3+ hours to get from Breck to Denver. BFD. You want to ski, you have to deal with snow on the roads sometimes. Relax and think back about all the fun you had skiing rather than obsessing about how hard the drive was.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
so it took 3+ hrs to get from breck to denver today. it was snowing and around 4:30 when i left. i do not think that adding extra lanes would help though, they need to limit drivers liscense' instead. just about every 500ft (being generous) it went down from 3 lanes to 1 lane. this was due to the total ineptitude of colorado drivers. it is snow, not hot lava. if you do not have 4-wheel drive, join a carpool (skicarpool.com) or find another ride. if you drive a semi, find another route. these people blow my mind. if it says chains are required, use the friggin chains. about 20 of them just sitting there immobile, causing traffic jams, b/c, you guessed it, no chains. didnt leave 1st gear the whole way up, and didnt leave 2nd coming back down thanks to all those clowns. you do not win a prize for using the brake pedal, even when you see a hill or a tunnel. all the constant and sudden braking is what causes cars to lose control and traction. this causes traffic jams. also, please use salt on the roads, not sand or gravel or whaever it is. coming from the midwest, salt seems much more effective.

just venting a little bit after dealing with morons for the last few hours. dont drive like a pyscho, no. rather, stay in control and GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!!
Any Texas plates in that traffic jam??

When I lived in CO ('84-'88) one of my first experiences driving on snow in traffic I honest to God had a car pass me in the left lane of N bound I-25 near 120th on it's roof. And I was doing 60! I stayed on the gas and didn't look back.

From CDOT the rule is: Chains, snow tires or 4WD all vehicles.Chains all commercial vehicles, including buses, vans 16+ capacity.It seems to me that any M+S rated tire meets the conditions for a car. At least that was true back in the day and I had no problems with the old GTI I had at the time. I did make sure the tires were in good shape. I never ran chains.

As far as switching from sand to salt, back in the day the mere suggestion by any politician was enough to get him voted out of office. It was considered political suicide.

My pet peeve used to be idiots who would pull out in the left lane W bound 70 on the hill past Georgetown doing 35 thinking they were really going to pass that bus/truck/whatever when they were effectively floored already. Hey buddy, that last 1/4" of gas pedal isn't really going to do anything for ya'.: That stretch between Georgetown and Silver Plume isn't a good place to lose momentum. Takes a long time to get moving at a decent clip again.

Hey, I feel your pain, but whacha' gonna' do?
post #10 of 28

Here's the deal with the traffic...

Listen up, because these are the facts. The problem is caused by simply having too many cars on the road. This is due to overpopulation, and especially due to the overcrowding of the Denver and Front Range areas. Overpopulation is caused by people moving to our state from other states.: Our fine state is growing too fast for its infrastructure.
More lanes would help. Absolutely they would. But due to the spending-phobic public policy of this state, this simply won't happen soon enough. The problem will have to start effecting our tourism in order to get noticed.
Another problem with expanding the road are the ass-backwards communities along the way. A coalition of mountain communities has aggreed to an expanded highway footprint, but Idaho Springs is dug in in their opposition to it. A cynic would say this is because they profit as a community when the highway slows to a crawl and people stop off there for a break from driving. I am a cynic. And I don't give a f*ck about Idaho Springs either.
Another way of combating the problem with the traffic would be to try and get some kind of mass-transit going up the hill. Refer to spending phobia mentioned above for an explanation of why this is not going to happen and never will happen as long as we practice right of center politics here. Installing a train would be much more expensive than any highway expansion.
Chains are NOT required for cars on I-70. Ever. Chains are required for SEMI-TRUCKS on I-70. I'm surprised you don't know this. And by the way, the real trouble starts when Loveland Pass gets closed. Hazmat trucks are usually required to go over the pass. If they can't, they send them through the tunnel once every hour at the top of the hour. No one else can be in the tunnel while this is going on. This causes a horrible nightmare, as I'm sure you can imagine. The road is essentially a parking lot on both sides of the tunnel for miles. Which sucks.
YES, part of the problem stems from people driving in the left lane when they shouldn't. BUT the real problem is that there are too many cars on the road. Period. Try not to complain about a problem you are causing. People will think you're an idiot.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180
I think it is a matter of perspective. If you are in a truck doing 30 mph and get behind a rig doing 15 going the 8 miles up Parley's, you will lose 16 minutes. If you are in a car doing 80, and have to slow down for a few seconds to move to another lane, then you may lose 20 seconds off of your trip up the hill. By the way, the speed limit is only 60 or 65 going up Parley's...
No, it's a matter of safety...even if someone is doing 65. That's 30+ mph slower and it is a legitimate safety concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180
Remember, the guy in the truck is making his living on that road. You are using it as a means to get to your recreational area. I would say his time is more valuable than yours.
1st off, It is a COMMUTE to work, not a drive to a recreation area. 2nd, what bloody difference does it make? Last I checked, the trucker doesn't own the road. Not any more than the recreationalist (or a bike rider, or anyone else for that matter). ANYONE using that road has the SAME right to travel on it (and rights to safety) as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180
If you do not agree, then let that trucker use your desk at work for a few hours during the day so he can play poker or chess with his buddies. You can just wait until they are finished to get back to work. If it makes you have to stay late, then that is fine.
???? This makes no sence. Your analogy would be akin to me setting up a road block and not allowing the trucker through. That's not what we are discussing here.

Powdr
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
Hey tahoetr:

Since we are discussing trucks, why is that they ALWAYS pull out into the middle lane of a three lane highway to pass a slower truck, as if no one else is on the road? Going up I-80 to Parley's this happens almost every day, to the point that I can predict it and lay back. Unfortunately most other drivers do not know it's coming and get nearly run off the road or have to lay on the brakes so hard they almost skid. The real issue is that the speed discrepancy between an uphill truck pulling out into the middle lane to pass an even slower truck is tremendous in comparison to a car. I've litterally seen a truck doing 15 pull out into the lane amoungst cars doing 80. Yes, I know truckers want to keep their momentum going, but this is downright dangerous. How much momentum is lost going up the hill at 15 vs. 20? Can't you just gear down and keep the engine speed higher?

Just currious,

Powdr
feel free to pull 45,000 lbs of freight in your pickup trailer and try going up a steep incline AT 80 MPH, it's not going to happen. We don't like it any more than you, but since roads have hills we have to deal with them accordingly. And if it means getting out in the center lane to pass a slower truck, so be it. Try going over Donner where there are only two lanes in places, and trucks are passing trucks at 30 mph or less.
Running a engine at higher rpms is not a good thing. Wear and tear, and or possblie blown engine. Then you will have a broke down truck.
In a perfect world, there would be no hills, and everyone would obey the speed limit, and every one would look far enough ahead, to make changes,before hand, with out slamming on thier brakes.

My advice, slow down PAY ATTENTION, your destination will be there when you get there. Or try leaving 10 min sooner. will be there 2 min later. or get out and run the hammer lane, and run decoy for the truckers,, they love it when 4 wheelers get pulled over.

Powdr your more than welcome to ride along with me , and you'll see what the truck driver has to deal with, between the 4wheelers, the road condtions, the cops, the regulations. I do this job because i enjoy getting paid very well to travle around the lower 48 pulling your stuff to Walmart and Kroger stores.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
it was snowing and around 4:30 when i left.
Here's the real problem. You left when it was snowing? For the first time in weeks? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!

btw, how come nobody ever says "I drove like an idiot today and got in the way of all the competent drivers". Funny how everybody thinks it's everybody else who's the problem.

Suggestion: next time, take 285, and cross Boreas Pass on your snowmobile. That way you won't have to deal with all the "morons".
post #14 of 28
[quote=brannen]so it took 3+ hrs to get from breck to denver today. it was snowing and around 4:30 when i left.

The short-term solution is right there. Don't leave at 4:30pm from an I-70 corridor ski area and expect to be in anything other than a slow moving parking lot. If at all possible, kick back where you are, eat dinner, whatever, and then get on the road. Much better for your blood pressure! And might prevent statements such as this one:

due to the total ineptitude of colorado drivers. it is snow, not hot lava.
Them's fightin' words! Or at the very least, they are unneccesarilly hostile and largely innaccurate. Trust me-- Coloradoans can spot the difference between lava and snow. How many were rentals driven by out-of staters (perhaps even by people from the mid-west) do you suppose?

coming from the midwest, salt seems much more effective
That may be so, but here in the mountain west we find that living things do not do well on salt water.

just venting a little bit after dealing with morons for the last few hours. dont drive like a pyscho, no. rather, stay in control and GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!!
And maybe take a valium? R E L A X............... B R E A T H E .........
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr

???? This makes no sence. Your analogy would be akin to me setting up a road block and not allowing the trucker through. That's not what we are discussing here.

Powdr
It makes perfect sense. You are asking the trucker to waste 16 minutes so you can save 20 seconds, or, god forbid, you may have to PAY ATTENTION when you drive. Here is an idea. Shut off the cell phone, slow down to the speed limit, turn down the classic rock, and pay attention to your surroundings.

If you are watching the traffic flow, you can tell when that truck is going to pull into the left lane. (I will give you a teeny hint... it is usually preceeded by a red blinking light called a "turn signal") Otherwise, stay in the far left lane and avoid the whole mess.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180
It makes perfect sense. You are asking the trucker to waste 16 minutes so you can save 20 seconds, or, god forbid, you may have to PAY ATTENTION when you drive. Here is an idea. Shut off the cell phone, slow down to the speed limit, turn down the classic rock, and pay attention to your surroundings.

If you are watching the traffic flow, you can tell when that truck is going to pull into the left lane. (I will give you a teeny hint... it is usually preceeded by a red blinking light called a "turn signal&quot Otherwise, stay in the far left lane and avoid the whole mess.
You didn't really read my post did you? You know, the one wher I said I avoid these situations because I PAY ATTENTION. Sheesh. Oh, and thanks for making all those great assumptions about me; listening to classic music, cell phones....made me chuckle JUST HOW CLUELESS you are.
post #17 of 28
Geez, guys, what's with the adolescent hostility? Don'tcha know some people just don't subscribe to that theory known as 'logic'? I'd hate to see you get your panties in a bunch over a real issue... Have a nap and some applesauce, everyone, and ......Kumbaya, for crying out loud. Kumbaya.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
You didn't really read my post did you? You know, the one wher I said I avoid these situations because I PAY ATTENTION. Sheesh. Oh, and thanks for making all those great assumptions about me; listening to classic music, cell phones....made me chuckle JUST HOW CLUELESS you are.

I did read your post. I was not speaking to directly to you, I was speaking to the people who drive 80mph up Parley's and do not pay attention. I just assumed you were defending them in some manner. I apologize for giving you the wrong impression.

The thing I was addressing towards you was the assertion you made that the trucks should just down shift and stay in the right lane.
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
"Chains are NOT required for cars on I-70. Ever. Chains are required for SEMI-TRUCKS on I-70"

I clearly was tallking about truckers with the chains. this is why i mentioned it right after the other sentences that refferedd to truckers as well.

"ok for semis finding another route, so you want your food coming in to denver...."

i knew it wasnt possible to find another route, this is why i told them to stay out of the left land and use your chains

"Whoa thar young fella! Wouldn't be surprised this time of year if a lot of those Colorado plates were Colorado rental cars driven by Texans"

this is a very valid fact, but it doesnt change the fact that col drivers could use some serious re-schooling. never have i been somewhere where less people knew what yellow lights, turning lanes, the left lane, and posted speed limits meant. sure, there are good drivers here, but the majority seems to be permit toting 15yr olds.

"As for not using salt on the roads - hey we drink the water that comes from the watersheds up here"

my bad - totally forgot about that one. in chicago we had a huge fresh water lake that supplied all of the water. this is an even trade, ill take the traffic in return for the drinking water and whatnot.

"Listen up, because these are the facts. The problem is caused by simply having too many cars on the road. This is due to overpopulation..."

too many cars on the road, obviously. but, on a dry day the traffic would have been nonexistent. the resulting traffic was due to.....ineptitude. overpopulation, welcome to the real world.

"Another problem with expanding the road are the ass-backwards communities along the way.."

hear ya on that one

"to try and get some kind of mass-transit going up the hill"

what utopia are you talking about? oh, every major european ski destination. why cant we accomplish this? i heard the WPark one is ok, if not so ridiculously expensive.

"Try not to complain about a problem you are causing. People will think you're an idiot."

i am the solution. clone me and have them carpool everyone and traffic will be a thing of the past. an idiot, clearly. isnt everyone who left their girlfriend of 5 years, lawfirm, and lush studio apt. to move to the mtns and live on a friends couch? 150+ days is knockin, if anyone can give me sound advice on southern hemisphering it.

"And maybe take a valium? R E L A X............... B R E A T H E ........."

you have valium? do you live in denver?

"Geez, guys, what's with the adolescent hostility? Don'tcha know some people just don't subscribe to that theory known as 'logic'? I'd hate to see you get your panties in a bunch over a real issue... Have a nap and some applesauce, everyone, and ......Kumbaya, for crying out loud. Kumbaya"

this is the first chatroom or whatever it is called that i have been a part of. i thought this mindless banter was the whole point...?

i hope i answered everyones questions. in summary, cars do not cause accidents, drivers do. well i guess semi's too. HA. kidding.
post #20 of 28
Careful. People will say we're in love...
post #21 of 28

History repeats itself

Glad I read this thread before yesterday! Left Copper yesterday at the end of very nice week of skiing to head back to DIA for the flight home. Knew that Sunday afternoon is always a nasty drive down I70, even on a good day and yesterday was definitely not a good day for driving. Lots of cars in the ditch and several accidents in Denver. So, left waaaay early for the airport. Pulled out of Copper at 2:45 in the afternoon and arrived at the rental car center at 6:15. A new personal record (of the bad sort) for that trip for me.

I always expect there to be a backup from Silverthorne to the tunnel, cutting 3 lanes down to 2, and we didn't get a mile out of Silverthorne when we came to the first of many dead stops. I also expect to hit another bottleneck when we get to the junction with Hwy 40 and pick up the Winter Park traffic. What I don't understand is why traffic doesn't start moving again once you get past Hwy 40. There isn't another bottleneck into Denver, in fact, you pick up a lane just past Idaho Springs. One might think that traffice should be moving freely at that point!

Anyway, because I expected the trip to take much longer than usual, I wasn't horribly upset when it took 3+ hours to get down the mountain. Still is a shame to have to cut short a great skiing day just to make your flight home :
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
this is a very valid fact, but it doesnt change the fact that col drivers could use some serious re-schooling. never have i been somewhere where less people knew what yellow lights, turning lanes, the left lane, and posted speed limits meant. sure, there are good drivers here, but the majority seems to be permit toting 15yr olds.
I agree, but most of them have not lived here very long, and think an AWD means that they can drive the tunnel approaches in a blizzard like they drive E-470 on a sunny day. :
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
col drivers could use some serious re-schooling. never have i been somewhere where less people knew what yellow lights, turning lanes, the left lane, and posted speed limits meant. sure, there are good drivers here, but the majority seems to be permit toting 15yr olds.
Actually, I've heard that kind of comment from people all over the country. "Our drivers are the worst!" Get used to it, there are other people on the road, and things go wrong when the weather gets sloppy.

btw, I drove from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Golden this Saturday at about 4 pm, in a light snow, and averaged about 50 mph the whole way. I guess all the good drivers were out that day.
post #24 of 28

I drive I-70 5 to 6 times per week

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
..."Listen up, because these are the facts. The problem is caused by simply having too many cars on the road. This is due to overpopulation..."

too many cars on the road, obviously. but, on a dry day the traffic would have been nonexistent. the resulting traffic was due to.....ineptitude. overpopulation, welcome to the real world...
Sorry, this is simply not true, especially on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon. I know, I commute to Winter Park on those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag
What I don't understand is why traffic doesn't start moving again once you get past Hwy 40. There isn't another bottleneck into Denver, in fact, you pick up a lane just past Idaho Springs. One might think that traffice should be moving freely at that point!
For some insane reason, people slow down and hit the brakes before going through the tunnel just East of IS.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
this is a very valid fact, but it doesnt change the fact that col drivers could use some serious re-schooling. never have i been somewhere where less people knew what yellow lights, turning lanes, the left lane, and posted speed limits meant. sure, there are good drivers here, but the majority seems to be permit toting 15yr olds.

"As for not using salt on the roads - hey we drink the water that comes from the watersheds up here"

my bad - totally forgot about that one. in chicago we had a huge fresh water lake that supplied all of the water. this is an even trade, ill take the traffic in return for the drinking water and whatnot.
I had to laugh at this one. If you think Colorado drivers are bad, you should check out the east coast. There will always be idiots on mountain passes. The problem is that 2 or 3 idiots can jam the entire road. I've seen it happen time and again. Other people start to get aggrivated and start driving aggresively, hence this entire post. Even with more lanes, there will be someone who loses momentum, tries to pass, and just blocks a lane for the everyone. I'm not saying that extra lanes won't help at all, but no matter how many lanes there are you'll never drive over it at anything close to the speedlimit in traffic.

As far as salt goes, it will never happen and I'm glad. Salt damages everyone's car, rusts everything... It damages plantlife, animal life, and there is no need for it. Sand works just fine. Crushed salt gives the same traction as sand, but salt also melts ice when it's above 20 degrees (pretty sure it's 20 deg) The problem with melting ice is that at night, it refreezes and forms black ice, which is even slicker than the snowpack that you began with. The salt is also carried away by the melting snow, so you would have to salt nearly every single day; not something you have to do with sand.
my .02
post #26 of 28
I believe I heard from CDOT a few years that there is some salt in the sand/gravel mixture, to keep it from freezing while in the truck.
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
ok, havent looked at this one in awhile
here we go...

"Glad I read this thread before yesterday!" - TAG
this person is from minnesota, eh. they have no snow, and would have no idea how to drive in it, what to melt it with. they are agreeing with me, whether it be for ineptitude of drivers, or incompitence of plows, something should be done. salt, maybe not, but something better, YES!

"I agree, but most of them have not lived here very long, and think an AWD means that they can drive the tunnel approaches in a blizzard like they drive E-470 on a sunny day" - ssh
Totally, they must be from Texas or out east, neither of which i have visited. From Chicago, i go west, never been east of the midwest. Been to Indiana, Ohio, W.VA., and Fla., minus that and Boston and NYC, have no motivation to go east. Except for that sweet trail along the whole eastern coast, would like to do that.

"btw, I drove from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Golden this Saturday at about 4 pm, in a light snow, and averaged about 50 mph the whole way. I guess all the good drivers were out that day. " - jrbd
way to go, you must be one of the few good ones. caongrats on the good drive, i hate you for it


"Sorry, this is simply not true, especially on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon. I know, I commute to Winter Park on those days" - lennyblake
OK, i thought i made it clear i dont go on weekends, i expect it then.

" had to laugh at this one. If you think Colorado drivers are bad, you should check out the east coast. There will always be idiots on mountain passes. The problem is that 2 or 3 idiots can jam the entire road." - mr.shortround
agreed. never been out east, but one person can funk it up. today to ABASIN for example. a winnebago was going 25mph the whole way. no snow, sunny, and semi-warm. no reason to go slow. id say, "maybe he was goin slow because his truck is so heavy and a stickshift", but no. he didnt pull over up top to let us (at least 25cars) pass, so obviously he was purposely driving like a dingus.

"As far as salt goes, it will never happen and I'm glad. Salt damages everyone's car, rusts everything" - shortround
so does acid rain. i agreed to not using salt, as for the wash out or whatever is used for drinking water. otherwise, rust, c'mon. im not a scientist, but it excelerates the rusting process by a percentage that would (cost effictively) be way less then the accidents that ice causes.

please give more insight, for i see no reason why CO drivers are soooooo bad. (except for their relocation from other places then Chicago, Illinois (no S pronounced, by the way)
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannen
"Glad I read this thread before yesterday!" - TAG
this person is from minnesota, eh. they have no snow, and would have no idea how to drive in it, what to melt it with. they are agreeing with me, whether it be for ineptitude of drivers, or incompitence of plows, something should be done. salt, maybe not, but something better, YES!

I swear that every year somewhere between March and October every driver in MN (except me ) forgets how to drive in a snowstorm. The first snowstorm of the season inevitably causes more snafu's on the highway system then you would think possible. MN DOT also claims that they do not salt the roads only sand them (we've got a few lakes around here too).

Still have to vote for Naples, FL as the worst place I have every had to drive a car.

brannan, as much as you'd like to put all the blame on the bad CO drivers, there are limits to what any roadway can carry in terms of traffic load, and everything I've read and heard from friends living in Denver or the front range says there is simply too much traffic on I70 on the weekends, especially on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings going west and Sunday afternoons going east. And the yahoos going 85 in the left lane are just as big a problem as the truckers that have to go 35 in the right lane.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Didnt see that 70West posting